PDA

View Full Version : Pattern help

cconway
11-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Hello all:

Still so much I need to learn about this wonderful machine. So I am working on this snowman pattern and am having trouble making it a closed pattern. The issue comes in with the hat. I drew the body using arches and then the trim tool to remove the over laps. After drawing the brim and top of the hat I tried the same thing by extending lines and trimming the extra thus hoping to have joint /closed lines. This has not worked. Can you please help me to understand other ways I can do this or am I forced to just draw the hat, brim and body as one shape. I have attached the MPC.

Thanks

Charlie

fwharris
11-29-2017, 01:46 PM
If you are trying to make this for cutting out the shape I think you will need to do the outline of the full shape and not individual pieces. You can not combine each part to make it a whole part, if that makes sense.

See attached..

henry1
11-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Hello all:

Still so much I need to learn about this wonderful machine. So I am working on this snowman pattern and am having trouble making it a closed pattern. The issue comes in with the hat. I drew the body using arches and then the trim tool to remove the over laps. After drawing the brim and top of the hat I tried the same thing by extending lines and trimming the extra thus hoping to have joint /closed lines. This has not worked. Can you please help me to understand other ways I can do this or am I forced to just draw the hat, brim and body as one shape. I have attached the MPC.

Thanks

Charlie
here you go

cconway
11-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys. I was unsure if there was anyway to overlap them like two arches for a circle so pieces could be trimmed yet still have a closed shape. Thanks for the help, Have a good one.

SteveNelson46
11-30-2017, 11:18 AM
The easiest way to outline the outside shape is to use the line and arc tools to close the hat and the body. Make all 3 of the shapes into a carve region. Select everything except the drill hole. Use the "Outline Pattern" tool from the tools menu to create the shape.