PDA

View Full Version : Paying for basic functioanality

IndianaJohn
11-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Okay, I understand that Carvewright isn't a charity and they need to make money but charging $200 to let you do something that should be a basic function of the software is a bit much. I imported an image into the software to use as a pattern for a project I'm doing for our local soil and water district. I tried a test carving and found that I needed to change the size and depth slightly. Should be simple, right? Nope! I went to redo the project and right clicked on MY pattern. I changed my sizes and depth. Wasn't sure what to do from there, so I went to close the box and it asked if I wanted to save my changes. Of course I did so I clicked on save. I was then informed that I wasn't allowed to do this simple thing because I hadn't spent $200 for the Pattern Editor software add-on. it just seems to me that the ability to change and save your own pattern should be a basic function of the software, not cost $200 extra. So now I have to delete my old pattern, reimport my image, and then make my changes and save it again. It seems stupid to have to do all that for something that should be extremely simple. Don't what the software enginerds were thinking but it seems like it was more about making profits for the company than making thing easy for the customer! Sorry for the rant, this makes no sense to me at all...

fwharris
11-25-2017, 04:09 PM
You can adjust the depth, height and size of the pattern on your design board. The pattern editor software is more for cleaning up and enhancing detail, removing unwanted areas and much more.

moethgreat
11-26-2017, 08:34 PM
I have felt this way all week, you want centerline text? $99. You want this? $199, and so on. I wonder how many people would buy them if they knew everything you had to add after the fact to get the extras.

blhutchens
11-27-2017, 01:23 PM
want to sell yours? Even if you bought all the software and hardware available its cheaper than other machines with fewer capabilities. The add ons are great. You don't have to buy them until you need them or can afford them.

mtylerfl
11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Kind of funny reminder of different points of view at different points in time!

When I bought my CarveWright-CompuCarve machines from Sears, the only add-on available was the Scanning Probe with the Pattern Editor. That's all! ...and, I was happy as a clam! I created dozens and dozens of cool projects with the Basic software and the Probe to make my own patterns.

Now, CarveWright has created many more options available for their customers. All of them are optional and you only purchase what you need for what YOU want to do. I'm thankful for that because it spreads out a major sticker shock as compared to Brand-x software that includes features you may not ever need, but you pay for anyway, all at once!

So, from my point of view and from where me and many others started from over a decade ago, we have no problem with purchasing add-ons as they became available.

Some newer folks point of view is "I want it all, so give it to me, because it's supposed to be that way!"

Different time, different points of view. Rather funny.

...and Yes! The Basic Designer software that comes with every machine allows you to resize, change depth and height of patterns already! No need whatsoever to buy anything extra for those obvious functions!

lynnfrwd
11-28-2017, 10:23 AM
All 9 add-ons are available for $1189.92. That may, very well, as Michael pointed out, be a game changer for some that can't swing that much or don't need that much, if we were to require you to get all or nothing. This building block method of adding software as your budget allows, skill levels increase or projects require has worked out very well and there is no intent to require our customers buy all of the bells and whistles in order to enjoy their system.

brdad
11-28-2017, 02:47 PM
I am ok with the add-on method, but have always seen the CW add-ons as a bit "kludgy". I don't think I should have to purchase the pro version for an upgrade in centerline. I'll never use the keyhole option (I use a seperate router and jig for that) but it's just a bit - Not sure that needs it's own add-on? If that was the plan, every bit should have been an add-on - I know many here rarely stray from a straight bit and a carving bit.

Beyond the add-ons, I think the biggest mistake is not having a better trial software system. I likely would have convinced myself to buy more add-ons and/or upgraded to pro, If I could play with it more (or at all in the case of some add-ons). I'm not quite sure what the logic is in not allowing people to play with the software indefinitely if they can't carve anything that includes any unpaid for add-ons. I have friends who have inquired about the CW and it's software, and often by the time they start understanding the software, the trial is over so they lose interest.

So I've kind of settled with being comfortable with basic, centerline, and conforming vectors.

fwharris
11-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Beyond the add-ons, I think the biggest mistake is not having a better trial software system. I likely would have convinced myself to buy more add-ons and/or upgraded to pro, If I could play with it more (or at all in the case of some add-ons). I'm not quite sure what the logic is in not allowing people to play with the software indefinitely if they can't carve anything that includes any unpaid for add-ons. I have friends who have inquired about the CW and it's software, and often by the time they start understanding the software, the trial is over so they lose interest.

So I've kind of settled with being comfortable with basic, centerline, and conforming vectors.
If I recall correctly, if you contact CarveWright they can/will extend the 30 day trial period so that you can demo the add on features. Also most of those features are available in the free version.

http://www.carvewright.com/project-designer/

lynnfrwd
11-29-2017, 09:23 AM
The PRO version was a total rewrite of the underlying foundation of Designer Software. Any feature added to that new foundation (such as Centerline Text algorithms rewritten for more efficient and cleaner cut) would require twice the programming to add to the old foundation. We will not be adding new features to the old foundation; only the new foundation.

All add-ons are included in the software to play with, except 2d Vector Drawing Suite. This is because we cannot protect it from being used without the license.

If anyone needs the demo version extended, let me know. The demo version is nothing more than an unregistered version of Designer.

mtylerfl
11-29-2017, 06:10 PM
... I'll never use the keyhole option (I use a seperate router and jig for that) but it's just a bit - Not sure that needs it's own add-on?...

The keyhole bit add-on is indeed necessary if using the CarveWright CNC to do it. That add-on calculates the toolpath for the keyhole bit to plunge into the material, move the bit whilst still plunged under the material surface to create the undercut slot, then move backwards along that same trajectory, then retract the bit to exit the material at exactly the same spot it had entered. The Keyhole add-on assures this is done safely and accurately.

This is very handy and reliable, when a user wants to use their CarveWright CNC to perform this procedure for them instead of using a hand-held router and bit. (I admit, using a hand-held router is a lot quicker and is likely the most practical method for folks who can hand-route a keyhole slot with reasonable precision.)

My "other" $$$$ CNC software has special gadgets for calculating toolpaths for keyhole bits, too, BTW.

brdad
11-30-2017, 11:15 AM
The keyhole bit add-on is indeed necessary if using the CarveWright CNC to do it. That add-on calculates the toolpath for the keyhole bit to plunge into the material, move the bit whilst still plunged under the material surface to create the undercut slot, then move backwards along that same trajectory, then retract the bit to exit the material at exactly the same spot it had entered. The Keyhole add-on assures this is done safely and accurately.

This is very handy and reliable, when a user wants to use their CarveWright CNC to perform this procedure for them instead of using a hand-held router and bit. (I admit, using a hand-held router is a lot quicker and is likely the most practical method for folks who can hand-route a keyhole slot with reasonable precision.)

My "other" $$$$ CNC software has special gadgets for calculating toolpaths for keyhole bits, too, BTW.

I wasn't saying the keyhole bit doesn't need special programming (though early on users did find ways to do it with basic software, understandably not as safe that way). I was saying IMO the keyhole bit ability alone was not worthy of it's own add on, and if it was, perhaps the other 20 or so CW-programmed bits should be as well, since many users only use two or three different bits anyway.

lynnfrwd
11-30-2017, 11:34 AM
The Keyhole Function software is $39.99 regular price and includes the bit. Most of the decorative routing bits are in that range. In this case, the bit can be purchased for $24.99, so the software feature is $15. Can you buy a keyhole bit for less than $24.99 and do it by hand? Of course, you can.

For those that might ask, can I just buy the software feature for $15 and buy my own bit...no you cannot.

brdad
11-30-2017, 02:12 PM
The Keyhole Function software is $39.99 regular price and includes the bit. Most of the decorative routing bits are in that range. In this case, the bit can be purchased for $24.99, so the software feature is $15. Can you buy a keyhole bit for less than $24.99 and do it by hand? Of course, you can.

For those that might ask, can I just buy the software feature for $15 and buy my own bit...no you cannot.

Ah, I totally missed that it came with the bit, despite reading the description a few times - that does make the price reasonable. Well, if you need the bit...

DickB
11-30-2017, 04:37 PM
(I admit, using a hand-held router is a lot quicker and is likely the most practical method for folks who can hand-route a keyhole slot with reasonable precision.)
A simple jig makes keyhole slots with a handheld router precise, quick, and easy.

85137 85138

brdad
11-30-2017, 06:03 PM
I thought up a jig to make a triangular-shaped keyholes (Though I might not be the first to come up with it). It works great for heavier items as it allows the use of cabinet type screws or the like. But more importantly, it was designed for items that would be repeatedly hung and unhung from a wall, like this cribbage board. The few I have made have held up great.

Also might be interesting, the slot for the peg storage I also cut with a cheap steel keyhole bit, ground down so it would make a 1/16" slot.

fwharris
11-30-2017, 07:07 PM
I do my key holes on the router table and run them horizontally on the board. I mark the center of the board and a line on each side of center that is 1/2" to 3/4" from the center.

https://youtu.be/t5TXVzlAuzw