PDA

View Full Version : Cutting too deep.

moethgreat
11-22-2017, 06:54 AM
I have a couple of patterns I am trying to test and none of them show any cuts deeper than .250". The board settings are .5" Thick and the actual board I was testing with was almost .750"
In project designer none of the projects show a cut through the board or any other cuts or patterns going through the wood. But alas all tests cut through the board. I admit I am new, so I might just being doing something simple wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.

bergerud
11-22-2017, 09:36 AM
I see nothing in the mpc which would explain cutting so deep. There must be something a miss with the z motor system.

SteveNelson46
11-22-2017, 10:21 AM
The bit needs to be inserted in the chuck within a specific range to function properly.

A couple of questions:

Are you inserting the bit into the chuck to the same EXACT location each time? This usually requires a stop collar.

Is the bit touching the swing-out bit plate and the surface of the board during the "finding bit" phase?

Are you getting any messages about "the bit length does not match?"

Okay, 3 questions.

fwharris
11-22-2017, 10:42 AM
I have a couple of patterns I am trying to test and none of them show any cuts deeper than .250". The board settings are .5" Thick and the actual board I was testing with was almost .750"
In project designer none of the projects show a cut through the board or any other cuts or patterns going through the wood. But alas all tests cut through the board. I admit I am new, so I might just being doing something simple wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.

You need to set the design board thickness to be the same as the thickness of the board you will be carving on. In your test ornaments mpc your board thickness in 0.750". For the outline path of your ornaments you are not using a cut path tool to cut these out, You have just applied a bit to the path at a depth of .250"

DickB
11-22-2017, 01:51 PM
How about posting a photo of the result?

I see a number of potential issues with your project, although none that would explain the cut through the board. A photo may help.

moethgreat
11-22-2017, 07:00 PM
I tried a simple project with a single circle cutout and start from the default pattern set. I reloaded the carving bit and had no problems. I looked at the motor, cables etc and didn't see or change anything. It might have just been the bit. I will try the problem project again and let you know.

Thanks for the help.

S.

moethgreat
11-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Well we have have gone from too deep to not enough...or not consistent enough.
Both attached pics are different sized circles. And the country outline is also different depths and should be the same.

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2017, 09:19 PM
Is your Head LEVEL?

moethgreat
11-26-2017, 09:25 PM
How would I test? How would I know?

fwharris
11-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Check the on line documents for aligning the 4 corner posts and leveling the head.

moethgreat
11-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Check the on line documents for aligning the 4 corner posts and leveling the head.

I just found it, I'll look tonight.

Thanks!

s.

Mugsowner
11-28-2017, 05:27 AM
i would check the z motor encoder disc.