PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka Type 99 Stock Carve

ronboley
11-08-2017, 02:09 PM
New project I just started. It's my attempt to carve a new stock for my Japanese WW II Arisaka Type 99 rifle stock. My dad brought this back from his service in WW II in 1945. As a kid I modified the original stock to remove the wood hand hold around the end of the barrel, the top wood piece and the wood under the metal butt piece to add a butt pad and for a for a "sportier" look.

Now many years later I want to put the rifle back simillar to the original with a carved dedication to my Dad. First problem is the lower portion on the stock barrel cover was removed and discarded along with the upper wood barrel guard and the recessed wood at the butt where the original metal butt guard was installed. I also have lost a few of the metal pieces that relate to the wood barrel surround and the bayonet lug. (yes I have the original bayonet and bamboo scabbard). I was able to replace the metal pieces from purchases on ebay.

So the project has begun with rifle disassembly and mounting the modified stock in a scanning jig. I've scanned the modified stock and added space in the pattern to add the materials removed to the front of the stock and to the butt on the stock. I'm using the pattern editor and Sculptor to turn the scanned pattern into a resonable carving for a new stock and top barrel piece.

Some of the problems:

It's difficult to get the pattern to the correct "flat and level" position so the resulting carved stock (two sided carve) is to real world dimensions (thickness). The original stock varies from 2" thick at the bolt to less thickness at the butt and along the barrel. I will be working with a 2" thick hard maple board. Although I do have the long bit, my intent is to use the regular 1/16" carving bit at maximum 0.80" depth to carve from both sides and leave 0.40" thickness to trim.

Try as I might with the extrude commands and sculptor smudge, it's been a challenge to get straight or smooth edges on the model . The Sculptor video alludes to a smooth between points command, but i've yet to master it. If anyone has tips on this I would appreciate a little advise.

As always finding a simple font that will carve and read well is a crap shoot.

I anticipate it will take at least 2-3 carves to get it right...we'll see...wish me luck.

want2b
11-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Definitely quite a challenge, best of luck. Will be waiting to see the finished product.
Rick H

cestout
11-11-2017, 01:42 PM
I made "furniture" for a gun owner, including a piece to wrap around the barrel housing. I did it in three pieces, using a 45 deg V bit between the pieces so they folded into a U shape. I extruded the barrel housing shape between the v grooves, and the hand grip shape on the back. I used the same technique for the "Cup Cake Tree Stand" in the store. Carved from one piece and wrapped, the grain matches and blends.
Clint