PDA

View Full Version : Spektra Nanocomposite Coated Bits

bergerud
11-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Has anyone tried these new Spektra carving bits?

https://www.toolstoday.com/p-6477-cnc-solid-carbide-2d3d-carving-tapered-and-straight-ball-nose-conical-ball-spektra-extreme-tool-life-coated-router-bits.aspx?&variantids=13851,0&keywords=46294-K

mtylerfl
11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
I haven't tried those yet, but am very, very tempted! I read about them on another Forum a few weeks ago. Description and claims about the coating sounds great!

cestout
11-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Just saved the site - thanks.

mtylerfl
11-17-2017, 01:40 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Spektra Extreme Tool Life 1/16" Tapered Carving Bit today. My curiosity would not allow me to resist!

Subtotal $52.46
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Discount Code: FIRSTTIME10 -$5.25
Grand Total $47.21

cestout
11-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Waiting for a report.
Clint

mtylerfl
11-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Yes. I expect it will perform as well as any new bit would. Might be hard to evaluate if it's "better" than a different (uncoated) bit, but we shall see!

My primary motivation was the claim it remains sharp up to 2 1/2 times longer than an uncoated bit. I have avoided the Zrn coated bits, based upon feedback from users who have said they noticed a slightly lower-quality carve due to that coating. I have no personal experience with those bits, so I can't confirm or deny that particular feedback.

I'm anxious to try this new Spektra coated bit!

mtylerfl
11-25-2017, 08:57 AM
I still have not received the bit I ordered from Tools Today. When I click on "Track Your Order", a page shows that it has been shipped a week ago, and has a UPS Tracking Number. However, when I track UPS, it says a label has been generated but nothing has arrived at their facility yet.

I'm a little less than thrilled with Tools Today at the moment. I have emailed them to ask why my bit has not been shipped yet.

bergerud
11-25-2017, 10:17 AM
I have ordered the 1/16" and a 1/32" carving bits. Mine were on there way almost immediately. USPS to Canada however, not UPS.

mtylerfl
11-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Hmmm. Wonder why they haven't actually shipped my order yet. I would be more understanding if they said they were on backorder or something. But no. Only a label was made - their website says "shipped", while UPS says they haven't received anything other than a processed shipping label. It's a mystery!

mtylerfl
11-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Well, I just sent a second email to ToolsToday asking them to check on my order which I've still not received and UPS Tracking still states only a label was generated - nothing has actually shipped.

ToolsToday never responded to my first email for some unknown reason. Hopefully they will respond this time. We shall see!

mtylerfl
12-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Still haven't received my order yet. ToolsToday finally answered my email request to check on my order. The Rep said they "gave the package to UPS". But, UPS still says they only received a label notification and no box to ship.

ToolsToday made a new order for me at no charge and shipped it the following day. UPS Tracking says it's on the way, but my shipment has been delayed.

I do have hope I'll get my order eventually. ��

mtylerfl
12-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Well, the bit arrived today! Anxious to try it on an upcoming project.

Smoken D
12-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Will be interesting, can't wait for a report.

mtylerfl
12-05-2017, 06:52 PM
I have ordered the 1/16" and a 1/32" carving bits. Mine were on there way almost immediately. USPS to Canada however, not UPS.

Hi Dan,

Have you used your bits yet? If so, have you noticed any difference in Carve quality?

I'm not expecting a difference in visible quality in the short-term. What I am expecting is the bits will keep sharper for a longer period of time.

bergerud
12-05-2017, 10:05 PM
I have yet to get mine in the mail. Customs always slows things down.

henry1
12-06-2017, 07:12 AM
Hi Dan,

Have you used your bits yet? If so, have you noticed any difference in Carve quality?

I'm not expecting a difference in visible quality in the short-term. What I am expecting is the bits will keep sharper for a longer period of time.
can you give me link and the bits you ordered would like to try them

DianMayfield
12-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Hi Henry, it is in the first post :)

mtylerfl
12-06-2017, 11:01 AM
I searched for a company that ships via Pony Express, but no luck.

Pony Express would definitely be faster delivery than what Dan and I have experienced! ;)

henry1
12-06-2017, 09:52 PM
I searched for a company that ships via Pony Express, but no luck.

Pony Express would definitely be faster delivery than what Dan and I have experienced! ;)
Well just ordered some from there I should get them by this friday I have P.O. box in roseveltown NY witch help for me only 15 min to get across

mtylerfl
04-10-2018, 05:57 PM
I finally used the Spektra 1/16" tapered ballnose on a project this past weekend. Not on my CW but on my ShopBot. The bit is a 1/4" diameter shank and won't fit into the CW spindle without a pressed on collar (which I don't have any laying around!)

So I tested it on the ShopBot using a 1/4" collet and it worked a treat. It doesn't carve any better than a "regular" 1/16" ballnose, but it's great quality like the CarveWrght 1/16" Carving bit. Of course, the main "claim to fame" for the Spektra coated bits is holding it sharpness over a longer period of time than one without the coating. Not sure how I can evaluate that unless I put it under a microscope every few weeks and had the training and measuring tools to objectively evaluate what I'm looking at. Anyway, it's a very good bit. Is it a "better" bit? Jury is still out on that.

spalted
01-13-2019, 05:15 PM
Michael,

Did you ever form an opinion of the Spektra bits?
I'm always skeptical of tooling claims, especially ones involving coatings, but I still keep looking at them.

mtylerfl
01-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Hi,

The 0.0625” Tapered Ballnose with the coating is a good quality bit, but can’t say it’s any better than any other that I’ve used. I’ve not seen any difference in carve quality.

The main drawback for CarveWright users like us, is the bit shank is too small for the CarveTight chuck. It’s only 0.25” diameter, and the CarveTight chuck requires a 0.5” diameter shank. So, I only use it on my ShopBot CNC.

I still use the 0.0625” CarveWright Tapered Ballnose (with the factory pressed-on collar) when carving projects with the CarveWrght CNC.

spalted
01-13-2019, 06:56 PM
Thank you Michael.

I'm still using a rock chuck so I have a bit more flexibility in shank sizes.
I think the last ones I bought were from Vortex. I'll probably just stick with those for now.