PDA

View Full Version : lines in my carving

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 11:50 AM
I am new with the carvewright. I bought it to reproduce my carvings for resale. However, here is what I have been doing:
the wood is maple, ran on normal setting, choose 1/32 bit. I am left with a rough carving with lines instead of smooth finish. I have looked at others work and can not get the same results. I need some help!!! if anyone lives near Columbus Georgia, perhaps we could get together for assistance...

lynnfrwd
11-01-2017, 11:56 AM
I am new with the carvewright. I bought it to reproduce my carvings for resale. However, here is what I have been doing:
the wood is maple, ran on normal setting, choose 1/32 bit. I am left with a rough carving with lines instead of smooth finish. I have looked at others work and can not get the same results. I need some help!!! if anyone lives near Columbus Georgia, perhaps we could get together for assistance...

You have to go into the software and tell it you are using the 1/32" bit instead of the 1/16" bit.
Go to EDIT > BOARD SETTINGS > PATTERN BIT > change from 1/16" (default) to 1/32"

It is making passes like it is a 1/16" bit and twice as thick as it actually is.

fwharris
11-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Normal will give you a rougher carving than best or optimal settings. Also when setting up your design make sure you set the "bit optimization" to best. If you are going to use the 1/32" bit make sure you change the "pattern bit" default bit setting in the board settings.

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 12:46 PM
85017where is the "bit optimization" located? I have been selecting the 1/32 bit in the option when loading bit. Here is a sample of what I am getting. Even on Best, I get similar look. Never looks finished.

fwharris
11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
The bit optimization tool should be on your tool bar or after selecting the pattern right click your mouse. Changing the bit at the machine will not give you the results you designed for. When the project is uploaded to the card it is setting everything on how it was designed. Making a change at the machine does not reset your design to the new bit.

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:04 PM
ok, that makes sense. I will try that. Than you.

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Thank you very much for that tip. I will try it and get back with you all.

DickB
11-01-2017, 01:20 PM
It doesn't look like you have added any draft to your lettering. That very narrow stroke on the letter M is subject to tear out. I would add small or medium draft.

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Is it ok to use the 1/32 bit for my carvings, or is another bit a better choice?

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:30 PM
What is draft? I am loosing pieces of letters each time I try.

It doesn't look like you have added any draft to your lettering. That very narrow stroke on the letter M is subject to tear out. I would add small or medium draft.

DickB
11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
What is draft? I am loosing pieces of letters each time I try.Select your text, then click on Carving - Draft at the top of your window. Try slecting Large just to see what it does. Select Small, Medium, or Large depending upon the size and height of your letters.

If you post your entire project here, you may get additional pointers.

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
85018 This one of my hand carved deep reliefs that I want to have the carvewright to eventually do. Can it carve that clean/finished? Thank you guys for your help so far. I can't wait to get home and make the bit changes and try again tonight!

DickB
11-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Is it ok to use the 1/32 bit for my carvings, or is another bit a better choice?It depends on the project. What you posted, particularly the lettering, does not have a great deal of detail. The 1/16" bit would be fine and carve faster, as the space between passes will be less. The 1/32" bit would help if you have fine detail. The 1/16" bit is my carving workhorse. I have a 1/32" bit, but have only used in once.

If you change carving bits in Designer, you should be able to see the difference in the rendering. Try selecting the 3/16" Ballnose just to see.

fwharris
11-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Is it ok to use the 1/32 bit for my carvings, or is another bit a better choice?

You can use the 1/32" bit as it will bring out more detail in the carving. Just make sure you change the pattern bit in the board settings as I mentioned before.

This is a link to the tips and tricks newsletters. The cover a lot of helpful information and are well worth your time to help you get better carving results. http://support.carvewright.com/tips-tricks-archive/

There are also a lot of video tutorials http://support.carvewright.com/project-designer-tutorials/

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Thank you very much for your help and patience. I bought this in May and had a lot of problems and pieces that had to be replaced under warranty. After spending that money, I was starting to have major buyer regrets. I finally got it up and running, have about 8 hours on it and no good final pieces. I am excited to try these tips tonight and see what comes out!

You can use the 1/32" bit as it will bring out more detail in the carving. Just make sure you change the pattern bit in the board settings as I mentioned before.

This is a link to the tips and tricks newsletters. The cover a lot of helpful information and are well worth your time to help you get better carving results. http://support.carvewright.com/tips-tricks-archive/

There are also a lot of video tutorials http://support.carvewright.com/project-designer-tutorials/

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Thank you very much for your help and patience. I bought this in May and had a lot of problems and pieces that had to be replaced under warranty. After spending that money, I was starting to have major buyer regrets. I finally got it up and running, have about 8 hours on it and no good final pieces. I am excited to try these tips tonight and see what comes out!

It depends on the project. What you posted, particularly the lettering, does not have a great deal of detail. The 1/16" bit would be fine and carve faster, as the space between passes will be less. The 1/32" bit would help if you have fine detail. The 1/16" bit is my carving workhorse. I have a 1/32" bit, but have only used in once.

If you change carving bits in Designer, you should be able to see the difference in the rendering. Try selecting the 3/16" Ballnose just to see.

Twocarvers
11-01-2017, 01:54 PM
I am also new to using a forum! I hope that I don't offend...

fwharris
11-01-2017, 02:19 PM
I am also new to using a forum! I hope that I don't offend...

Not at all. You are in the beginners learning curve so you will have lots of questions and will probably be making beginner errors like most of us did when we got started. Your best bet for being successful is to read and view the tutorials available and ask questions. If you want feed back on your design you can attach it to your post, use the "go advanced" tab bottom right, and we will let you know what might need to be changed.

lynnfrwd
11-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Also, look at the Learning Guide under SUPPORT at www.carvewright.com. The Step-by-Step Tutorials, might also help.

Twocarvers
11-02-2017, 08:47 AM
So, I fixed the bit problem, carving was going well till about 37% finished and then it completely removed all the wood! I started over and did a different pattern and again about the same %, it pierced the carving and started cutting it out till I stopped the process.

fwharris
11-02-2017, 11:31 AM
So, I fixed the bit problem, carving was going well till about 37% finished and then it completely removed all the wood! I started over and did a different pattern and again about the same %, it pierced the carving and started cutting it out till I stopped the process.

Can you posts your project file and a picture of the carving?

Twocarvers
11-02-2017, 12:15 PM
I will post picture when I get home. Post project file?

Can you posts your project file and a picture of the carving?

fwharris
11-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I will post picture when I get home. Post project file?

Your mpc file you made for the carving.

Twocarvers
11-02-2017, 12:51 PM
ok. I will try that to show you.

cestout
11-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Sounds like the Z tracking went bad - FFC or encoder.
Clint