PDA

View Full Version : Stuck bit

jwhllh55
03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
I have only one small problem with the machine. I can't get the carving bit out of the machine..:confused:
I have tried the tool that came with the machine and now the collar is stuck and will not come back down. It's just stuck and the bit will not come out, either. Does anyone have a hint on how to get back to square one. The machine works great, but I tried to put another bit in to do some different. Now I'm dead in the water with a carving bit stuck half in and half out.
HELP someone.
John Hammett

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Try taking 2 fingers on both hand and pull the spring loaded ring back pulling on first the left then the right like you were pulling a sock on. If you are in a high humidity area coat the removed bit holder with a light coating of oil as the surface rust will cause this.

Put something soft under the bit so when it drops out it won't be damaged.

Good Luck,

AL

Mike
03-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree. I had a stuck bit and thought that I would never get it out. I lightly oil my bits regularly. Be careful grabbing the bit as it is very sharp. Iknow that from experiance.
Mike

jwhllh55
03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree. I had a stuck bit and thought that I would never get it out. I lightly oil my bits regularly. Be careful grabbing the bit as it is very sharp. Iknow that from experiance.
Mike
I think your right, oil would help for sure. I haven't oil anything since I have owned it. I assume 3 in 1 oil would work???

Charles M
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I keep WD40 handy and spray each bit holder before inserting. Someone recently tried Top Coat (I think that was it) and said they had excellent results but I have not yet tried it my self.

Greybeard
03-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I think it would be worth "searching" for oil or lubrication or suchlike throughout the forum.
I'm not sure if it was here or on another cnc forum I frequent, but I think wd40 can leave a gummy residue "in the long term" if used frequently, and that might add to the problems.
Just my groat's worth.
John

Kenm810
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Quote Semper fi
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif Fix for sticky bit insertations
Whilst puttering around in the shop, patiently waiting(yea right) for my Z motor to be rebuilt and sent back, I came up with an idea to solve the rough and sometimes sticky problem of the bits not going in easily and coming out hard. I use a product from Bostik called Top Cote on my saws, planer and joiner. It leaves no residue, spays on and really gives a slick coating. I tried it on my router first, because it has a new system from Sears and was pretty sticky. Believe me it was like a miracle. I gave it a spritz and then worked the collar a couple of times up and down and. voila, smooth as silk. Bits go in and out almost effortlessly. I then tried it on the Compucarve with the same results. The can says it won't attract dust or moisture.

Worked for me!
Ernie

I've been using the Top Coat for a few week now.
It works fine on the bit adaptors and chuck.
If you hold the adaptor away from the machine when you spray it,
then give it a quick shake you won't have to worry about any drips on your project.
Another plus is it doesn't seem to attract or build up chips or dust like oil.

Dan-Woodman
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Don't get wd40 on your wood . I think it cotains silicone,which will not let stain or finish stick to the wood.

Kenm810
03-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Silicone can be a wood finisher’s nightmare especially with lacquer. It’s like the silicone molecules can stay suspended in the air for days. -- Someone may spray a little silicone at the other end of the shop while cleaning tool or lubing a part of something, -- almost as fast as you open the spray booth doors, baaamm, turn around and you’ve got a whole school of fish eyes staring back at you. -- Yuk!

CallNeg151
03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I sometimes have the same exact problem. My solution has two parts:

1. Lube the chuck and the bit holders with Boeshield T-9. It is a rust protectant that leaves a good protectant coat, and won't stain the wood the way or attract sawdust the way wd-40 will. Additionally, wd-40 is a solvent, and will clean out the lubricant in the quick-release, possibly making your problems worse in the long run.

2. If the bit is really stuck, use a very thin wrench (I had to get the thin metal one that comes with the Sears Quick-release kit) to hold the top of the top of the quick-release, and twist the sheath with your fingers so that it slides up into place. If it is really stuck half-up, twist in the other direction to lower it and try it again. If that doesn't work, lightly strike the sheath in a downward direction, to cause it to fall into the locked position before re-attempting to release it. After doing this a number of times, I've found that 9 out of 10 times I am able to release the bit with only my fingers.