PDA

View Full Version : (I have been good!-) I do have a font question

RC Woodworks
03-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Just to let every know I have not came into the forum under a different name! I have been good!! I have been using my 4th machine and so far ok! I do get the dreaded check cut motor, but press enter and it finishes the project. I am awaiting a new rpm sensor to fix the problem.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out and yes reading on how to make a fuller raised letter. I am having trouble with fonts like Euphorigenic and other simular. Is the font too small is it stretched too much??????????

I am using a 60 degree bit since I am removing the background. Yet the thin portions of the fonts are either chipped or almost gone. I am using reclaimed old growth redwood. I have changed the background from horizontal waves to button pinched one. I have also selected bold for the font. I have the raised set at 999 so other then that I don't know why I am have problems.

Tomorrow I will try a 22 degree bit very simular to the 1/16 carving bit. Or I might try one of the bits I make.???????????? Of course I will test it out first.

Any suggestions?

-Rick

cajunpen
03-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Rick, I looked at your project and made some modifications, as explained in the PM I sent you. Take a look and see if this will work for you. Just use the regular carving bit, in Raster mode.

rgant05
03-29-2007, 01:51 AM
I agree with Bill, that it would probably give the best results with the 1/16" carving bit and raster cutting for what you are trying to do. Also, I think your poppys are going to turn out too thin to be useful. I think they will chip out pretty bad. You might want to look at them with a Height of about 50, Bit Optimization on High and an Additive Merge on the carve list. I think they would be more likely to turn out more pleasingly.

Roger

MarkJamesDesign
03-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Rick,
I just took a look at the C of C file you posted and it looks as though you have a few of what I call "orphans" or "ghost" letters under your text. Zoom in tight and you will see them. I eliminated the ones that are not the raised letters and it cleaned up nice. Not sure why they were there as I don't know much about designer, but I get little probs like that sometimes when I use Corel trace. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

RC Woodworks
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks for everyones help. I am going to give them all a try. I gave all the tips a try and the biggest problem was the bit I was using. I went to the 1/16 bit and it carved beautifully without chipping. I will try the 22 degree bit from Price Cutters and I am sure I will get simular results.

Thanks again all!!!

Rick

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Good news Rick, lets hope #4 is the lucky one for you, #2 for me just came in and I am making chips fly!
One trick not stated and I am not sure if it applies to the CC machine but when making patterns we would set the cut for a 1/2 dia cutter then put in a 3/8" bit, and leave some extra material behind during the chip hogging runs.
as stated earlier the small bit and raster cutting sounds like the most accurate way of cutting. Any larger bit than the 1/16 carving bit will eat up extra wood and make the letters thinner than you intended.

RC Woodworks
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
The sign is coming out just fine! Changing the bit and testing the carving settings proved to be the cure! I will post the sign when it finished it is taking a bit of time to carve and I have another to carve. (same sign)

I will showed it when I paint and finish it