PDA

View Full Version : right on!

menewfy
03-28-2007, 10:57 PM
well my hope was realized it was not deleted nor edited just closed i guess the next time I will hope against that too. i will not rehash this topic anylonger as I am told that is frowned upon as well.

farewell

menewfy
03-29-2007, 07:35 AM
I got up this morning and did a search for the two words that were the subject of reprimand yesterday. I don't dare say type them so I will pretend

H@LL
CR*P

I am sure the adults can figure it out

results are

H@LL 19times in this forum it shows up
CR*P 30 times it shows up in a post

if this does not show that things are changing then I dont know what does.

I hope this post does not get deleted, edited or closed.

pkunk
03-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Tim, please relax. Get back to the subject of carving! If not we will delete all of these posts as just plain annoying. :mad:

BobHill
03-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Tim,

There was a time when this was a small community of people with one common (or uncommon) hook ... the CarveWright machine and what it would do and how we as buyers/users/or hopefuls could use it. That became a bond with members becoming sort of a social community.

When the CarveWright/CompuCarve became a full fledged product with hundreds, if not thousands (to date) owners and users, and a great many of that number begin posting and reading in this forum, that community really is no more, except perhaps in the mind of those that have been around for a long time.

To date, I've read one and all posts and although not intentional, I believe I still have the most posts of anyone. Not that those make my information more valuable or even more informational than any one elses, but I've also noted that there is now a large change in this community. And as with all things that progress, we all have to adapt to changes.

I personally don't find fault with any of the language or posts that I have read, as each has been an honest expression from it's creator and that's what a community of "friends" do. But since this really isn't the same community, and perhaps the moderators collectively have an idea of what the Forum "look" should be, I see it becoming more of a bland place to exchange "how to's" or actually more of a "how to fix problems" area than an exchange of ideas.

For those that have been around the Internet for any length of time, you'll see the parallel, I'm sure. Some will look forward to the change, and others will recognize what will be and just have to accept it.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

menewfy
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
I can see the point you are trying to make and thank you for making it so clearly.

I do believe that you are right and that this forum is changing, however what the moderators may not get is this.

If it changes to the point where no one is sharing ideas anymore, just complaints where the machine is not acting as we would like and with that the people who help others fix the issue at hand, then what is going to happen like it or not is this, there will be a negitive feel to the forum cause everytime we check in all we will read about are issues and while we can all learn from that it wont have the same type of feel to it.

this is what has me riled if you will because I liked sharing my thoughts and ideas for others to use and accepted many of them from others.

let me put it a different way have you ever been to a party where there is a DJ and hardly anyone is dancing, but then he plays maybe 5 great songs in a row and then all of a sudden the dance floor is full the rest of the night, same thing if you dont get the right vibe it dont feel right.

with that said and done I have just realized that I have not been expressing myself with that positive attitude I would like to see in a forum that I tend to enjoy, so to everyone I have offended or annoyed I AM SORRY.

The whole point was I care about what happens here and I was trying to express that, I admit I am not as articulate as some might be so be it.

I just didnot want to see it go to you know where.

Charles M
03-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Tim,

I agree with your sentiment and am sorry to have to watch you get slapped for expressing it. In the 2 months I have been here I have seen the forum deteriorate from a community to a gripe session. While I respect that the moderators sometimes have a tough job, I have never seen any so combative and unhelpful (and I am a frequent poster on 10 different forums daily). If the mild expletives are a problem they can be filtered by the software. The fact that they are not means they are acceptable. If someone makes a personal attack on another member they should be called on it. Simply disagreeing over a point does NOT call for censure. In fact, if the disagreement is done in a civil manner it helps to build the community. Telling every new member that asks a common question to "Do a search" is getting very old. No one likes to see the same question posted over and over but it is a fact of life that it is going to happen. Telling them to search is more annoying in my opinion and accomplishes nothing but to alienate the new member. Anyway, I hope that Paul will take his own advice and relax and I hope that Jeff will lay off the newbies that want to know something and didn't already find the info in a search. My favorite forum is one that has almost zero moderation and it is a great community there because of it. I thought this one would be similar but, alas, it is not. This place would thrive on its own with less oversight and will certainly die with over-moderation. I know this seems like I am only bashing the mods but that was really not my intent. There are some members who could use better manners and I hope they will grow up or lay off. If anyone has issue with my thoughts on this matter I hope they will be willing to discuss this in an adult fashion so we can all build a better place to discuss our common interest.

Charles

BobHill
03-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Tim,

"I just didnot want to see it go to you know where."

:( Me too, but then, I doubt the company can keep the same attitude it started with either, but from the looks, they are trying.

Bob

rjp736
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
"Charles M" could not have said it any better. I'd have to say that 99% of us feel the way he does.

pkunk
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Tim,

I agree with your sentiment and am sorry to have to watch you get slapped for expressing it. In the 2 months I have been here I have seen the forum deteriorate from a community to a gripe session. While I respect that the moderators sometimes have a tough job, I have never seen any so combative and unhelpful (and I am a frequent poster on 10 different forums daily). If the mild expletives are a problem they can be filtered by the software. The fact that they are not means they are acceptable. If someone makes a personal attack on another member they should be called on it. Simply disagreeing over a point does NOT call for censure. In fact, if the disagreement is done in a civil manner it helps to build the community. Telling every new member that asks a common question to "Do a search" is getting very old. No one likes to see the same question posted over and over but it is a fact of life that it is going to happen. Telling them to search is more annoying in my opinion and accomplishes nothing but to alienate the new member. Anyway, I hope that Paul will take his own advice and relax and I hope that Jeff will lay off the newbies that want to know something and didn't already find the info in a search. My favorite forum is one that has almost zero moderation and it is a great community there because of it. I thought this one would be similar but, alas, it is not. This place would thrive on its own with less oversight and will certainly die with over-moderation. I know this seems like I am only bashing the mods but that was really not my intent. There are some members who could use better manners and I hope they will grow up or lay off. If anyone has issue with my thoughts on this matter I hope they will be willing to discuss this in an adult fashion so we can all build a better place to discuss our common interest.

Charles
FYI, I'm not trying to kill these threads. We Mods don't have the power to adjust the filtering and would like nothing better than to see this stuff come to closure. There will be some changes made in the near future to this forum (I hope-discussion is in the works), but in the meanwhile sometimes the less said the better. Meaning, that right now there are several threads going that are subject to being shut down as blatently off topic.:(

Charles M
03-29-2007, 12:01 PM
FYI, I'm not trying to kill these threads. We Mods don't have the power to adjust the filtering and would like nothing better than to see this stuff come to closure. There will be some changes made in the near future to this forum (I hope-discussion is in the works), but in the meanwhile sometimes the less said the better. Meaning, that right now there are several threads going that are subject to being shut down as blatently off topic.:(

Paul,

I have read all of the threads that have been posted over the last 2 months (I doubt if there is one I have missed) and I think you are exaggerating about them being off topic. This is the only current one that could possibly fall into that category and I would argue that the health of this forum is a topic for all to be concerned about. Posts that discuss copyrights are perfectly on topic when they are in a pattern sharing thread. As I said, over-moderating will kill the forum and constant threats about removing threads is a symptom of that. I think that you are feeling threatened by this topic and I can understand that but I don't think any one here wants to see you go, we all only want the best for this forum so we can continue to have the resource. Again, my opinions on this are open for discussion. However, I do not respond well to threats. Here's an idea, why not create an Off Topic board (pretty common thing to do) and then instead of constantly thinking the only solution is to delete a thread you can simply move it there.

Charles

BTW,

I think the fact that you are not allowed to change the filters means you are not empowered to choose what is acceptable use of language. That was determined by the forum administrator.

pkunk
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Paul,

Here's an idea, why not create an Off Topic board (pretty common thing to do) and then instead of constantly thinking the only solution is to delete a thread you can simply move it there.
BTW,

I think the fact that you are not allowed to change the filters means you are not empowered to choose what is acceptable use of language. That was determined by the forum administrator.
I have suggested an 'off topic' forum, as well as rules of forum etiquite. Unfortunately the powers that be(admin) are not here often enough to effect these changes in a timely manner. The moderators are left with the difficult job of trying to keep a forum designed for discussion of the Carvewright only from disintigrating into a free for all.
Being as you seem to be in charge of this thread, why don't you volunteer to be a Moderator. I'll gladly hand this one to you.:mrgreen: