PDA

View Full Version : check tracking roller ?

myshop1044
10-01-2017, 02:32 PM
I am getting this error statement when moving in the X direction the minute it starts moving in the x direction.
I did the measure test to see if the edge detector was reading correctly. The Y test was perfect, 7 7/8" when I selected the length
this is when the error "check tracking roller" appeared and a knocking noise, I entered "enter" to continue and there were several loud knocking noises.. My head pressure is btwn 73.6 and 75.6 , greased the 4 post and the head moves up and down very easy, the front and back rollers move very easy.
I checked the gears and no problem there, did a X user test and every thing rotated very smoothly back and forth.
Any Ideas where to check? I cant get it to measure any sled I have in the X.

DickB
10-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Did you check the X gears by removing the cover? The knocking noise sounds like stripped gears.

mtylerfl
10-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Did you verify the head is level?

my initial thought was broken x gear, but when you said the x test went so well, that made me think not. I assume you did take the x gear cover off, since there is no other way to inspect the gears.

bergerud
10-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Did you not just put in new x gears? You should check how they mesh. Sounds like a gear is slipping under the load of having a board clamped in.

You could also have a defective gear with poor teeth.

fwharris
10-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Did you not just put in new x gears? You should check how they mesh. Sounds like a gear is slipping under the load of having a board clamped in.

You could also have a defective gear with poor teeth.

That would be my suggestion as well. The axis test is not under load and will respond differently.

myshop1044
10-01-2017, 03:22 PM
HP 73.6 to 75.6, inspected gears by hand rolling the gears and unfortunately my other machine had a striped gear drive ,waiting for it to come in, bad luck Iguess.

mtylerfl
10-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Ahhh. I wasn't aware of the "backstory" of recent gear replacement. Also assumed wrong that you did a proper inspection of the gears under the cover.

So, that's your next step - visually inspect the gears and make sure they are installed/aligned well and that the teeth are all there (and in good shape). Check for hairline cracks too, just in case you may have damaged them.

Also make sure the head is level so it doesn't stress the x drive when under load.

myshop1044
10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Just the head level test, 12" wide sled, 4 strips of paper under the rollers on the edge of the sled, crank the head down and could not remove the strips from the front or back rollers, assume head is level.

bergerud
10-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Try it again with the gear cover off and watch the gears. Maybe you will see where the knocking is coming from.

myshop1044
10-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I was taught this test by ask bud, I'm not following you logic, the sled did not move, it is just a test for head pressure?