PDA

View Full Version : GUI crashes in Designer

luckettg
09-27-2017, 12:58 PM
From day one, when I first got my machine in 2007? there have been GUI crashes. It has been on at least 6 or 7 different PCs over the years. Sometimes it is rare while designing, other times, like lately, with the latest software upgrade, it is happening every half hour or less. It does it when working with graphics, text, or just sitting there. What the heck is going on with this software? I use Aspire, SketchUp, CAD, and several photo editing packages, and they never crash.
I have version 3.103 Build 14, with some add on packages:
* Basic* Pattern Editor (Probe)
* Centerline
* STL Importer
* Conforming Vectors
* Version 3 Upgrade
* Version 2 Upgrade
* Keyhole

These crashes happen when I use patterns that I have created, when I use purchased patterns, when I use TryIt patterns, etc. Honestly, what is the deal with this finicky software? How do I fix it?
Thanks.

bergerud
09-27-2017, 01:38 PM
My first guess would be that you have not disabled the file preview feature. The program creates file previews in the background and causes the gui to crash whenever a preview glitches.

SteveNelson46
09-27-2017, 02:28 PM
You could also have too many patterns in your favorites. Sounds crazy but the Designer loads all of your patterns into memory when the program starts.

Are you sure that you have had your machine for forty years? (1977);-)

luckettg
09-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Nope, that is off and has been. Thanks for the idea, which I went and checked on then. Any other ideas for me to try?
I have been searching in the Forums off and on for the last few weeks too.
Thanks.

luckettg
09-27-2017, 03:25 PM
I just was reading something you posted a couple of years ago about the Favorites files. I makes me wonder. I am often creating and importing new patterns. Is there some sort of limit on the Favorites?

luckettg
09-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Ummm, maybe 2007? Duh, me, Steve. Thanks for catching it.:):rolleyes:

luckettg
09-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Steve, where is that Favorites folder hiding. I keep forgetting but can it be edited with Explorer? A while back I had a problem with multiple Favorites showing up in the Pattern selection box, which Connie kindly helped me to correct. It was caused by not installing using the Administrator option.

lynnfrwd
09-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Steve, where is that Favorites folder hiding. I keep forgetting but can it be edited with Explorer? A while back I had a problem with multiple Favorites showing up in the Pattern selection box, which Connie kindly helped me to correct. It was caused by not installing using the Administrator option.

Or....by attempting to open the favorites file... You cannot edit this file anywhere other than in Designer. Attempts to open it will cause it to start multiplying like rabbits.

SteveNelson46
09-27-2017, 05:38 PM

The filename is "favorites.mpn" and it resides in c:\users\your user name\carvewright. You can edit it with sqlitebrowser. Just compacting it will probably help. Be sure to make 2 copies. One for backup and one for editing.

luckettg
09-27-2017, 08:01 PM
I deleted a bunch of patterns that I had added. It seemed to behave better but then crashed again. I was moving a pattern using Snap, this time.

luckettg
09-27-2017, 08:30 PM
I discovered that I forgot to move the Favorites so went back and did that. Now I am waiting to see if it crashes again.

SteveNelson46
09-27-2017, 08:41 PM
Greg,

Databases like the favorites file are built using contiguous file space. In other words, each pattern begins where the previous pattern ends (sort of). When you delete a pattern it leaves a hole or space. When the next pattern is written to the database it is placed at the end and leaves the hole or space where the previous pattern that was deleted unfilled. That is why the database size never gets smaller. Over time the database can get quite large. So, when the entire database is loaded into memory the program can become unstable. Especially when the database uses memory for storage that the program needs to function properly. When a database is compressed using a utility like SQLite the spaces are eliminated and there by uses less system recourses. Just deleting patterns usually won't make a lot of difference. This is an over simplistic explanation but I think it will help most people understand how some, but not all, databases work. At least this is my understanding of how the patterns are stored in the favorites file.

luckettg
09-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Actually, this makes a lot of sense. In programming, it is what we use to call a "heap leak". Memory and space is never unallocated. It is a sign of poor software programming. I know that Designer has had this problem in the past, having discussed it with one of their software folks back then, but had hoped they would correct the problem. It must be very difficult for them to do so or it would not behave as you describe. Thanks for reminding me of that cause. I don't think I ever knew what part of the program was doing the dirty. I moved the Favorites file to a subdirectory, and Designer created a new one, as was suggested. Seems to be running better now but only time will convince me. Thanks again for the help and memory jogging. I appreciate this. If not for the help I have gotten here on these Forums over the years I probably would have tossed the machine out in the ravine a long time ago. :wink:

[QUOTE=SteveNelson46;266874]Greg,

Databases like the favorites file are built using contiguous file space. In other words, each pattern begins where the previous pattern ends (sort of). When you delete .....

luckettg
09-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Okay, ran Designer for hours yesterday without any crashes. Today, it gets a GUI crash if there is any attempt to extract a pattern. Honesty, this is really flaky software. Cleaning up the Pattern Tool list seems to have helped solve the previous crashing problem, but in my opinion, should never have been needed if programming was done well. This software is years into development with at least 3 major rewrites, and it is still unstable. I wonder what other bugs are lurking?

luckettg
09-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Okay Steve. Thanks...LOL. Another bag of worms for me to figure out. Thanks for the link but I must learn to use it too. This is dangerous based on my previous history.

The filename is "favorites.mpn" and it resides in c:\users\your user name\carvewright. You can edit it with sqlitebrowser. Just compacting it will probably help. Be sure to make 2 copies. One for backup and one for editing.

luckettg
09-30-2017, 10:01 PM
The crashes when trying to extract a pattern may be caused by using someone elses mpc file. I will experiment with it and see if one I have made still causes the problem. Time for some medicinal brandy?

bergerud
09-30-2017, 11:39 PM
If I recall, trying to extract patterns when there is text on the board causes a crash.