PDA

View Full Version : software capabilities

njynthjrny
03-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I just received my machine and not at all familiar with the software. Is there a way to program the machine to cut out indidual pieces for an intarsia pattern? If so, can it handle multiple pieces that are scanned on one 8 1/2" by 11" page?:confused:

rgant05
03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Just to make you feel better about your current lack of experience with a brand new program, I will ask an incredibly stupid question that will draw the attention off of you... LOL :) What is an intarsia pattern ???? can you post a picture of it and exactly what you are trying to do with it?

Roger

BTW welcome to the forum. There are a lot of experienced guys that will do a lot to help. Steep learning curve with the Designer program, but it will come to you.

pkunk
03-28-2007, 09:22 PM
With a modicum of intelligence & obvious knowledge of what intarsia is, I can say that a paper thin scroll saw blade will do it much better than an 1/8" router bit. :confused:

rgant05
03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
AH-HAH..... there's where my problem lies..... I didn't have my modicum of intelligence handy..... darn, where's my dictionary, these wood workers are killing me with this plethora of verbage LOL :)

Gary
03-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I've done lots of intarsia. The carve wright can do it, but you'd still have to finish everything up by hand. Not worth the effort, in my opinion..

gary

Gary
03-28-2007, 11:14 PM
You guys with a modicum crack me up!! Where do I get one?? Is it a dongle I plug into my computer?? Can I put it next to my intarsia without getting interference?? (LOL)

Gary

cajunpen
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Modicum, I thought that was one of those things that you put in your eye to see better, learn something new every day on this Forum. I also found out what that Hawk Scroll Saw that I have in the corner is for - Intarsia! Who would've thunk it.

rgant05
03-29-2007, 01:58 AM
No.... you guys are just joking around. A modicum is what you use to hook your computiker to the interneticus.

Roger

sk8nmike
03-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Remeber Guys and Gals.

Never use a large word when a miniscule one will suffice

sk8nmike
03-29-2007, 06:10 AM
BTW,

Yes the CarveWight will do excellent work for intarsia, just allow of the 1/8th inch bit. I've created several pieces that normally would have taken days in just a few hours.

njynthjrny
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Iintarsia art is nothing more than a wooden puzzle-like picture put together to make a finished picture. In it is various types and shades of wood to make the picture. One of my patterns have the pieces separated so they can be cut individually, hand sanded then assembled. Since there are so many pieces it would be a great help and save a lot of time. I tried to attach a picture of a finished product but haven't figured it out yet. If anyone is familiar with this I would really appreciate a step-by-step on how to do it.

njynthjrny
03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Glad to find someone who is cutting intarsia pieces. I sent another thread but am asking you to please step me thru the whole process. I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks again for responding

rgant05
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Here's what I put in another post re: posting pictures:

When you type your message in the window, scroll down a few lines till you see the portion that says ATTACH FILES and press the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button, (note: you have to allow popups for this website) in the window you will see were you can browse and select to location where the file is, then select upload for the file, when through with the selection of files, close the window then press SUBMIT REPLY (or post... what ever it says) Some file types have a size limit and may need to be resized in order to be uploaded. Let me know if you have difficulty and I can confuse you some more.

njynthjrny
03-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the attachment help. Here it is--------------whoops, guess not!

Bill
03-29-2007, 03:52 PM
If you are not familiar with intarsia patterns, perhaps you should check out
the links below........:rolleyes:

http://www.sawbird.com/

http://www.intarsia.com/Judy%20G.%20Reg.%20Intarsia%20p1%20.html

rgant05
03-29-2007, 04:30 PM
NJY,

Check the size of the picture. I think the max size for the jpg type file is 97kb. You may have to resize you picture if it came out of a digital camera.

meat
03-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I just received my machine and not at all familiar with the software. Is there a way to program the machine to cut out indidual pieces for an intarsia pattern? If so, can it handle multiple pieces that are scanned on one 8 1/2" by 11" page?

Yes, it absolutely can. You'll still have to finish the pieces by hand, but you'll find that the CarveWright is a GREAT timesaver (I'm using it to build a P-38 Lightning replica to fly. I've carved wing ribs, pretty much the entire cockpit (including gauges), internal panels, etc. It'll end up looking like my avatar, only with me flying it instead of Steve Hinton).

The BEST way to do intarsia is to import the image(s) into the software, then set up a cut line. I can step you through this, if you'd like. Of course, my post may be edited or the thread locked because I've written it, but I'll do my best to help you out.

Your pal,
Meat.

Bill
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello njynthjrny,
Nice work, very, very nice indeed. ;)

Kenm810
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi Bill,
Hay thanks for the pattern web sites Bill, --Barbs standing behind me saying –See – See – those, those, make some of them for the Grand Kids. That one and that one, and you got a make some of these. – When ya gona start on em - ha.

Again Thanks the web sites Bill

Bill
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Hello Ken,

Well there are a lot of folks that never herd of this type of woodworking and believe me it is an art.

There are many web sites that have intarsia patterns and are absolutely beautiful if you go to Google
and search for (intarsia patterns) you will come up with many web sites that have beautiful work.

This link below is a web site I really enjoy.
http://www.kathywise.com/intarsia.html (http://www.kathywise.com/intarsia.html)

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Meat,

I am stumbling with cut lines and some pointers would be great for me.....

I was fighting with trying to add a cutout to a sign like Jon's sign video. I just want to cut out the shape like his sign. I made it in Corel following in his steps but in designer I lost it. Since you mentioned it, I was not going to bother Jon until I exhausted my learning.....

The file is on my other computer, or I would have added it. Here is the sign without the cutout. My reflective material is 15 inches wide. So the cutout would be 14 wide and 8 high sides then peak at 10.0. Using white PVC board and blue reflective film.

This is using Greybeard's Centerline Font.

Thanking you in advance.

AL

Newport Beach, CA..... I sure do miss San Diego..... 13 years there.

Charles M
03-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Not Meat but is the attached what you wanted? This was done by making a rectangle in Designer, sizing to 14" X 8", center horizontally, add a point to the top and drag it to the center and 10" high. I then looked at the length of the angled lines and calculated a length that I could use for both that would keep the height at 10". Chose Cut Path, flipped and accepted. HTH.

Charles

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Charles,

Thanks !!! I am having a tuff time trying to download the file. I can download my file above but yours takes about 30 seconds then I get a Gateway 504 Time out error. Got it 10 times, kicks me right out of the CarveWright forum.

I will start playing now with my file.

Thanks,

AL

Charles M
03-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Al,

That's wierd because it downloads fine for me. Oh well, hope you can duplicate it in your software.

Charles

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Al,
I new to the forum and still a week away from having my machine, but I'm pretty good with Corel. I thought I'd work on your problem to get some experience. Let me know if these are what you were after.

Jim

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Charles, still get the gateway error. Mark, I LIKE IT !!!! Thank You !!!!

Here is what I did using the drawing tools and it is carving as I type.

Thank You everyone !!!

AL

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Just pay the man at the door on your way out Al. (Your quite welcome)

Good luck with your project.

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Just a little question off topic. Does this machine make any more noise than my craftsman router table?

Charles M
03-30-2007, 09:37 AM
It sounds a lot like a router and the decibel level is similar.

Charles

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 09:37 AM
I would say it is the same as a standard router in noise. The drive has a high pitch noise when moving the board at full speed to measure it, but the router is off then and you notice it more.

Thanks Guys !!!

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Looks like I am off to a good start. Here is the sign in the works. I covered the blue reflective film with laser mask tape to protect it. I was going to rout the back for the electronics and didn't want the sand paper belts to mess up the film. I might 1. let the machine carve it. 2. Put it on a sled and let the machine carve it. or 3. Do it with a hand router.....

Going to stuff the holes with blue LED's. Electronic Woodworker..... Just gotta play with electronics to have fun......

Choices.....

AL

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I just 'upgraded' my road sign with LED's I bought Solar landscape lights and mounted them under the cedar shake roof to iluminate the sign few a few hours each night. the solar panel is a seporate piece, so I mounted it in the sun on the back gable of the roof. We here at the ranch think it looks really neat since we don't have any power out to the end of the road.

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Al,
I plan to be cutting a lot of PVC. Have you had any probs with static or with melted residue on your bits?

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 04:05 PM
What a way to hijack a topic.... I should post this in other places.... But... This shows a direct result of the software questions....

The PVC worked nice. Very little if any static with the collector, pipe, and duct being metal. Could have used more suction. Will do that soon.

No melted PVC on the tip.

Then I did Correct Deck a Trexx like decking in green. The Board sensor could not read the green. I covered the board in Laser mask light tack paper. Worked over the reflective film but poorly on the Correct Deck. Need something wirh more tack. I planned to spray the rout area with white paint to make it stand out. I will now use brush on and wipe off.

I did find melted Green Plastic on the V90 tip. Worked fine with the bigger 911 numbers but using the V90 on the small letters was wrong. Should have used the V60 like I did with the small numbers on the White PVC.

Thanks for looking and the help getting my software use under control. A few tips and I was off running....

I will use a Solar panel and battery and LED's for my signs. The guys at Radio Shack love to see me.....

AL

I am going to post pictures later and move the next set of project pictures to another section. The post about the Trexx use.

I am getting the 504 gateway error when trying to add pictures.