PDA

View Full Version : QC Dissassembly

okmatt
09-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Is there any way to disassemble this? I was doing a carving this weekend when my flex shaft denigrated inside the chuck. if I could figure out how to get it apart I might be able to get the pieces out. I assume this is a long shot. but I thought I'd ask.

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Can you post a picture? Not sure what you are asking? Just joined, how old is your machine? QC's were on very old machines.

okmatt
09-11-2017, 12:41 PM
it's an A machine. It does Have the newer motor on it though. Just got it. it ran well for maybe 10 hours then it came to a screeching halt. kind of literally. it looks like the outer core of the flex shaft came apart but it is still stuck in there. I have tried to pull it out with quite a bit of force with no success. I was wondering if there was a way to disassemble the spindle or truck in order to get the flex shaft out peaceably.

bergerud
09-11-2017, 02:04 PM
You will not get any more access by taking the truck apart. The flex just has a square end which fits in a square hole in the spindle shaft. Taking off the "top hat" is all you can really do. The square hole does go all the way through. You should be able to see the flex end up inside the spindle.

I would first find a safe way to pull harder. If that does not work, I would cut off the flex and try and punch the square end through the spindle.

okmatt
09-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure what the design of the chuck was. this helps.

okmatt
09-11-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm happy to report that I successfully got the cable out an the spindle doesn't look damaged. Guess I'll put a new cable in and cross my fingers.