PDA

View Full Version : runtime error

rmock
09-06-2017, 05:31 PM
I am having trouble with a couple stl patterns I have purchased. When I try to import them They begin and then I get a runtime error and the program must be closed. Is there a fix for this?

SteveNelson46
09-06-2017, 05:43 PM
More than likely, there is probably something wrong with the STL file. Try importing it into another program first. It could also be that the STL file is too large for the Designer to handle. A common problem. I have used 3rd party programs to make a lot of STLs and if the mesh size is set to high when exporting it will crash the Designer during the import.

oscarl48
09-06-2017, 06:02 PM
The magic size is about 100 megs for the stl file. I have been able to load up to 130 megs but it took deleting everything from the library and any closing any open programs on the computer. And it tooks multiple attempts to port. You can reduce the size of the stl with different software if that is the issue.

The other is issue is undefined objects in the stl like curves and vertex objects that sometimes designer does not recognize. You have to convert to them to a mesh or delete and that normally takes care of that issue.

Let us know how it goes.

- O

mtylerfl
09-07-2017, 05:11 PM
I am having trouble with a couple stl patterns I have purchased. When I try to import them They begin and then I get a runtime error and the program must be closed. Is there a fix for this?

Failure to import an STL is typically caused by one or two things...the file size is too large for the CW Importer to deal with (anything near 99 to 100MB can crash the Importer) and/or there is a color/texture embedded in the STL. Reducing STL file size and/or eliminating any embedded color/texture will solve the issue. Here is a link to step-by-step instructions to reduce file size, eliminate embedded color/texture and have no noticeable loss of quality:

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29023-STL-import-limit&p=261172#post261172

spidee601
03-14-2018, 05:11 PM
This is locked up and won't let users access the link with the step by step instructions. Can someone copy and paste the instruction onto this thread, so that those who can't view it can see? I'm having the same issues.

Failure to import an STL is typically caused by one or two things...the file size is too large for the CW Importer to deal with (anything near 99 to 100MB can crash the Importer) and/or there is a color/texture embedded in the STL. Reducing STL file size and/or eliminating any embedded color/texture will solve the issue. Here is a link to step-by-step instructions to reduce file size, eliminate embedded color/texture and have no noticeable loss of quality:

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29023-STL-import-limit&p=261172#post261172

fwharris
03-14-2018, 06:48 PM
This is locked up and won't let users access the link with the step by step instructions. Can someone copy and paste the instruction onto this thread, so that those who can't view it can see? I'm having the same issues.

The "lock up" is do to it being posted in the "senior" section of the forum. You need 1000 posts to get into that section. But here is a copy and paste..

You can reduce the file size of the STL mesh with the free program MeshLab. The goal is to get the file size under 99 MB. Download MeshLab from here... http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Install the MeshLab program, then...

1) Start up MeshLab and create a "New Empty Project"

2a)... If you have a large file, it is easy to reduce the file size without noticeable quality loss.

2b)...Import your STL file into your New Project in MeshLab and click "OK" in the Post-Open Processing window (see screenshot entitled "1-Post-Open Processing"

2c)...Select Filters/Remeshing,Simplification and Reconstruction/Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation (see screenshot entitled "2-Remesh_Quadric")

2d)...Take a look at the screenshot entitled "3-Remesh_Settings". Make SURE you check all the boxes exactly as shown in my screenshot. Now, type in a decimal fraction (percentage) of how much you want to diminish the mesh, without going too crazy, or you'll get visible facets on your model. NOTE: the decimal value you type in is NOT the percentage reduction... EXAMPLES: type .70 for a 30% reduction, type .50 for a 50% reduction, type .90 for a 10% reduction, etc. Also, MAKE SURE you have typed in a value of "1" for the Quality Threshold.

2e) Click the word "Apply", wait for it to finish, then click the word "Close" to get rid of the window.

3) Observe your model on-screen to confirm it is still good quality (it will be if you didn't "go crazy" with the remesh reduction)

4) Now, go to "File/Export Mesh As". You will select your file type (STL in this case) and create a new name for your model (so you don't overwrite your original!). Click "Save" and you will see a new window pop-up. There is a setting here you MUST UNCHECK before saving to enable the CW STL Importer to open your new STL (see screenshot entitled "4-Saving_Options"). UNCHECK the box that says "Materialize Color Encoding". Click "OK" to save your new STL. It should now load into the CW STL Importer as long as the file size is now 99 MB or less and color info is removed.

So, we have basically corrected the "troublesome" STL files by doing this. Even though many large STL files will open in other programs (like MeshLab here) with the color or texture preserved, some programs won't open them or might even crash on you...the CW STL Importer (as well as the CW Slicer software) wants "clean" STL's without color info and a file size smaller than 99MB. Reducing the mesh to a reasonable size and discarding the color/texture info should put you on track.

I hope this has been helpful.

spidee601
03-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Thank you very much

lynnfrwd
04-06-2020, 11:48 AM
88240882418824288239Adding Michael Tyler's Snapshots for Meshlab Settings. They posted in reverse order.