PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers on the CX

Mugsowner
09-06-2017, 07:05 AM
I just got a new CX machine, do they still use the muffler as previous machines did?

Bigtyme
09-06-2017, 08:29 AM
I bought one as well around the first of the year and was told the new motor does not need a muffler....

bergerud
09-06-2017, 09:30 AM
As far as I know, the newer cut motors do not have the double impeller any more. The rear impeller which cools the motor pulls air trough the motor and pumps it out trough a channel in the top cover around to the blower on the left side of the machine and it is still there. The front impeller which which used to pump air from inside the machine out through the muffler is gone.

There may still be a little air leaking through the muffler from the cooling impeller and I bet there is still some noise which could be muffled.

I do not have one of these motors so I do not know what the noise difference would be. Try taking off the muffler and see the difference.

fwharris
09-06-2017, 01:52 PM
I discovered this a couple of months ago with a new customers machine. I encouraged them to get one just to muffle the high pitched sound from the cut motor.

Mugsowner
09-06-2017, 08:14 PM
I just got a new machine and it did not come with one. I have done nothing more then power it up so far to see if it powers up. Still have to reg., just showed up yesterday, with the work thing no time to play yet. I will see what it sounds like with and without the muffler. If the older mufflers still fit the new machines, looks like they should.

mtylerfl
09-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Most of us threw away or stopped using the muffler years ago. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Floyd Harris (aka fwharris RingneckBlues) rigged up a much more effective muffler made from PCV pipe for use with his machine. Wish I had a photo or a link for you. Maybe Floyd will see this post and respond.

cestout
09-07-2017, 05:23 PM
I put the toe end of old sock over mine because the dust blew holes in the cover and was shooting dust all over. I have a CX motor in my C machine and haven noticed a difference in the air output, but haven't looked for a difference.
Clint

fwharris
09-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Most of us threw away or stopped using the muffler years ago. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Floyd Harris (aka fwharris RingneckBlues) rigged up a much more effective muffler made from PCV pipe for use with his machine. Wish I had a photo or a link for you. Maybe Floyd will see this post and respond.

Per a special request! ;) It is actually a 2" shop vac hose going into a vacuum filter bag. The hose fits in the dust bag fitting.

mtylerfl
09-07-2017, 05:55 PM
It's a thing of beauty, Floyd! Thank you for the pic!

fwharris
09-07-2017, 06:37 PM
It's a thing of beauty, Floyd! Thank you for the pic!

Well lets just say it works! :)

mtylerfl
09-07-2017, 06:47 PM
It's "Steampunk"!

Mugsowner
09-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I like the idea. This may even be be easier on the motor with the large expansion chamber the fan should have less pressure on it, if I'm think right. Could it be ported to the dust collector hose?

bsoles9
09-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Here's my setup it been working well. See attached pic.84729

Deolman
09-08-2017, 10:54 AM
I do not know where the muffler is for my A machine. Sometime ago someone suggested connecting a shop vac in its' place. I turn the vac on for a few seconds after finishing my carving. Definitely works better than the muffler.

DickB
09-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Here's my setup it been working well. See attached pic.84729I don't think this is a good idea. There's no dust to speak of coming out of that port, but a good volume of airflow which just subtracts from the volume of airflow on the dust collector.

fwharris
09-08-2017, 11:49 AM
As Al would say, having the output of the cutting motor connected to the dust collection system opens up the possibility of a fire being started IF the cut motor brushes start arcing.

SteveNelson46
09-08-2017, 09:44 PM
I'm with Dick and Floyd on this one. Attaching a dust collector to the cut motor exhaust may result in drawing sawdust through the cut motor. The air that is produced by the fans in the motor is just meant for cooling.