PDA

View Full Version : STL/2 sided carve question

tackytim
08-26-2017, 02:29 PM
I am working on attempting my first 2 sided carve. I have everything laid out in designer and it looks correct. Everything currently is centered on the board. After laying it out on the board i was hoping to be able to make it into a group or pattern so that I can just drag it into a board with all the postions on both sides still aligned There are a several other pieces I need to slice. Designer doesn't seem to allow me to "select all" for the elements on both sides of the board at the same time. Will I need to group the front and back separately and then use snap to grid function to align them or is there a way I can make it into one pattern that I can just drag / paste where needed?

Thanks in advance.

bergerud
08-26-2017, 02:46 PM
The two sides of the board are "separate". You will have to use a pattern for the front and another one for the back. If you center each, they should line up.

For patterns which are not symmetric enough for centering to work, you would have to use the snap grid to make sure the sides line up.

Digitalwoodshop
08-26-2017, 03:49 PM
When you get to the part where you cut the actual board, do a test run and let the machine measure the board. Note this exact number and go back and change your designer board. I have seen problems with the two artworks not lining up when the designer board width and the actual is too far off.

SteveNelson46
08-26-2017, 07:02 PM
The two sides of the board are "separate". You will have to use a pattern for the front and another one for the back. If you center each, they should line up.

For patterns which are not symmetric enough for centering to work, you would have to use the snap grid to make sure the sides line up.

Or use attachments.

cestout
09-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Load a board as coase as possible to the project width. To see of the two sides are lined up, draw a line across the board or the length of the board and click "Cut Out" and "Hide Cut Out". You can than see a cross section and using the cursor keys - tweek the position of items.
Clint