PDA

View Full Version : Are calibration numbers "forgotten"?

DickB
08-23-2017, 02:28 PM
I've never had noticeable problems with calibration, other than long boards have been measured a bit long. Today I finally decided to experiment. I measured my large 56" x 14" sled. I also ran a test project with some scrap in the sled, drilling holes 10" apart in Y and 46" apart in X (taking the board sensor out of the equation). Results were that the board measured at 56.134" x 14.057" and holes were 45-13/16" and 14" apart. I went to change the X calibration and noticed that the Current and Default values were identical, at 889.110. Seems like a coincidence, and I don't believe in coincidences.

The reason for the title question is that my User Options often get "forgotten". For example, I never have the machine cut a board to length, so I set the User Option to Never to avoid that prompt (and others). However, every so often - this last time it has been about a week as I recall - the choices get "forgotten" and I get the prompts back, so I have to go reset them. I asked about this in the forum years ago (I can't find the thread) and as I recall Metallus responded and said in essence yes, it happens.

So, if the Calibration numbers are stored in the same memory as User Options, do they get "forgotten" with the machine returning to default values?

I'm going to keep an eye on this. Meanwhile, if anyone has entered a value in the past, could you check and see if it is still current? Or just check to see if your current value is the same as the default value.

bergerud
08-23-2017, 06:44 PM
I have had this happen many times. Metallus thought it was strange when I asked him about it. (I know I did not hit the reset cal.) I keep a list of my latest cal numbers and check them before I do a project requiring accuracy.

I wish I could just change the defaults.

DickB
08-24-2017, 05:40 AM
Good to know. I will check periodically, but if the calibration numbers only get reset when the user options also get reset, I should get an indication when the prompts reappear.