PDA

View Full Version : Store Bought Bits?

MarkJamesDesign
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Won't standard 1/4" shank carbide router bits work with this machine? And has anyone tried to use bits from CNC suppliers. I understand they are quite pricey but I think they're pretty heavy duty. I have a friend locally with a big Multi-Cam. I think I will stop by and check out his bit catalog. Anyone have any info on this subject?

Jeff_Birt
03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
There have been at least a dozen threads on this very subject. Use the 'Search' function in the toolbar and you will find them.

MarkJamesDesign
03-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks Jeff. Sorry, I was a virgin at messages boards and forums till yesterday.

Jeff_Birt
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM
NP, just like to point out search to everyone. It's can be your best friend at times.

RC Woodworks
03-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Mark, yesterday I learned from CW other bits are ok. The carbine shanks that come with the machine have the cut out area for extra hold. The problem with other carbine shanked bits without the cut away is the allen screws can not get a good grip on the carbine steel.

I buy my bits from www.pricecutter.com and they are steel shanked with carbine heads. The screws tighten well with lock tight for extra support and I have not yet had a problem.

So yes store bought bits works as long as they has steel shanks. As forth to the carbine shanks check them out for screw slots. Or just get them from CW or Sears if they have them. Otherwise check out Price Cutter they have a wide variety of steel shank bits, that work great!

-Rick