PDA

View Full Version : y-motor pack

rmock
08-07-2017, 06:33 PM
The y-motor pack has been redesigned with a larger spindle bearing on the face side. Does anyone have a size for this bearing and a vendor where we can purchase this item ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

bergerud
08-07-2017, 06:39 PM
I had heard that they were going to improve the y motor bearing, but, I did not know it had been done. Could you post a picture (front and back)?

Why would you need the bearing? Did it fail even though it is bigger?

It must have a number on it. If not just measure it.

henry1
08-07-2017, 06:47 PM
I have number on it berg you posed a design you adapt for the larger bearing working great here

rmock
08-07-2017, 06:47 PM
No failure I was at my 250 hr maintenance and I normally just go ahead and rebuild both the y and z, When I saw that it was a bigger bearing I just put it back together as I needed the machine running. Thought I would ask and order some bearings before I open it up again.

rmock
08-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Henry1
do you have the number and a vendor?

bergerud
08-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Well maybe it is not going to fail. I think a bigger bearing must eliminate the need for 250 hour maintenance.

I have number on it berg you posed a design you adapt for the larger bearing working great here

The bearing I used was a 625zz but that was my own modification (https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24819-Y-Gear-Box-Modification&p=220208#post220208)

I am curious to see what LHR has done. A bigger bearing requires, I think, a thicker casting from behind.

henry1
08-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Henry1
do you have the number and a vendor?
I ordered them from www.avidrc.com (http://www.avidrc.com) I believe R1212-2RS I could be wrong berg can correct me I made the bearing casing of plex glass to berg specification

rmock
08-07-2017, 07:05 PM
not sure about the casting, I didn't take the bearings out, just started tapping the gear out when I noticed the larger on the inside. I guess I will wait for a failure and see how many hours I have. I have a couple extra rebuilt y packs I can replace it with when or if it does.

bergerud
08-07-2017, 07:14 PM
I ordered them from www.avidrc.com (http://www.avidrc.com) I believe R1212-2RS I could be wrong berg can correct me I made the bearing casing of plex glass to berg specification

Was that not the bearing for the dust shoe? In any case, the bearing we used would, most likely, not be the same as LHR would have used.

bergerud
08-07-2017, 07:19 PM
If anyone has one of these new Y gearboxes apart, some of us would sure like to have a look! (I wonder why LHR would not announce such a modification??)

henry1
08-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Was that not the bearing for the dust shoe? In any case, the bearing we used would, most likely, not be the same as LHR would have used.

your right berg I have the one flange bearing to fit at the back the front one is bigger here a pic the one I made not to good of a pic

cestout
08-07-2017, 07:35 PM
But don't forget the brushes at 250 to 30 hours.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
08-10-2017, 02:10 PM
WOW.... Also would like to hear more about this new gearbox.... Calling LHR.....?

cestout
08-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Tell us what they tell you Al.
Clint

rmock
08-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Clint,
I sent an email asking if all of the new y packs would have the larger bearing what size it was and if I would be able to order the bearing. The reply was yes all new y packs would have the larger bearing. They do not offer the bearing for sale and I did not get any information on the size. I don't think they offer the gear alone for sale anymore either. I would hope that the parts would be offered for sale in the future as a rebuild kit for the y and z packs. I do rebuild all of mine myself as it is much more cost effective. We run 3 machine with a fourth as reserve (you never know). It may sound like overkill but for the last 3 years I have been rebuilding both y & z at the 250 hr maintenance.and my scrap due to machine error and down time has been has been greatly reduced. I also do a check on brushes and good check on the ffc cable. I have found that most of my cable failures happen at the end going into the back of the z assembly. I have started wrapping a small piece of duct tape to the cable end that is inserted into the dust shroud or guard. This has practically eliminated any cable problems.

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2017, 06:54 PM
WOW.... Also would like to hear more about this new gearbox.... Calling LHR.....?

"Calling LHR" as in like "Calling Batman".... Asking LHR to chime in and explain the details for us. IS our LHR Rep still with US?

AL

cestout
08-16-2017, 08:00 PM
rmock, thanks for the info. The size si probably the one Al and other were using when they were trying to carve the gear housing for the Y using a larger inside bearing. I have never had to rebuild either Z gear box (2 machines with something around 1000 and 1500 hours) but have replaced a Z pack because of a bad encoder. There isn't the stress on the Z that there is on the Y.
Clint