PDA

View Full Version : Discovered internal cracks on plastic base of machine - anyone seen this?

MrRooney
07-31-2017, 07:13 PM
First post. All my other questions I have found answers with the search function or reading the PDF files.
Until today.

I bought my C machine some 5 plus years ago. On sale and it came with the router bit set
and the scanner probe. Total on time is 23 hours. Two weeks ago I had a project and upon
the first board measure, the traction belt tore. So I just went and ordered the rubber belts.

After watching the 2010 utube on changing belts several times, then reading the 2017 revised
PDF, I was ready to go. So today I started the traction belt replacement. I found some interesting
damage inside the machine, hidden by the covers. And 4 small plastic rectangular pieces that appear
to have been eroded by maybe the belts. These were below the belt assemblies.

Before anyone looks at the pictures I state this:

The machine was never dropped by me. The shipping box has no damage on the corners nor does
the internal packing show any damage. I have only cut 6 wide by 24 inch boards from 5/8 to
3/4 inch thick. I have never set anything on the outboard wings, never leaned on them nor
dropped anything in them.

Anyone know what these 4 small plastic pieces are used for? There are no edges indicating
they were torn off from another location.

And the cracks at the base of the posts. Anyone have them on their machine? I rubbed white
a white pencil across the cracks to see how far open and how long. If I have to replace that
entire base not only will it be expensive, but a complete tear down. The covers are so close
to the plastic my idea of a metal U scabbed across with small screws will not work, without some
cover mods.

bergerud
07-31-2017, 08:55 PM
I recall that the bottom of the posts on the A and B machines used to be damaged frequently by shipping. The C machines have the bottom of the posts "beefed" up with square bases. I would say that your machine was somehow damaged in shipping. Maybe during shipping from China?

Those little black pieces may be the little tabs which stick up from the base and help align the belt assemblies. The aluminum belt assemblies fit between them. I think I can see where one broke off in picture 3. Look at the base right by the inside corner of the post.

fwharris
07-31-2017, 09:50 PM
I agree with Dan on both the cause (shipping) and about the black tabs.

Some have used JBWeld with some success to repair cracks and broken parts but you have to build up with an over coat to get it to work. I ran across this stuff a while back. I have not used it but it might be worth a try. http://www.spadepot.com/Plast-Aid-Spa-Acrylic-and-PVC-Repair-Kit-P792?zmam=55673001&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=MT1044&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysrdksea1QIVgxKBCh2G0gErEAQYASAB EgLqKPD_BwE

MrRooney
08-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Thank you for the responses. I can see two of those alignment tabs are still in place. I have to pull out the machine, raise the head and get a better look
to see if all are present. Will report back on my findings.

hray
08-03-2017, 02:10 PM
you can use fiberglass to repair the corner post you can git a repair kit from a boat shop

Mugsowner
08-03-2017, 07:12 PM
It will work, but I would not recommend that as a fix. I don't feel it will be strong enough. I would recommend a epoxy of some sort. Devcon makes a few very good ones for this type repair, Steel putty, titanium putty are a few. There are others out there as well that will work like mentioned earlier JB Weld. PC7 is another one. I would think you are looking for a heavier base epoxy that can be molded into place. Lighter based epoxies tend to flow to easily for this type repair.

myshop1044
08-03-2017, 08:14 PM
I would take a small diamond tip Dremel bit and maybe gouge out the crack ,not all the way thru, then put som JBWeld or one of the other epoxies listed ,let dry and sand it smooth. Just a thought.

CarverJerry
08-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Here is some stuff you might want to consider for your repair job. My brother used it sever times and swears by it. Here is a youtube video showing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTSpmS1zXY

Mike1
08-14-2017, 09:38 PM
You beat me to it Jerry, lol, I have used it several times as well, stuff is amazing

fwharris
08-14-2017, 09:59 PM
You beat me to it Jerry, lol, I have used it several times as well, stuff is amazing

Actually I beat both of you. ;)

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29597-Discovered-internal-cracks-on-plastic-base-of-machine-anyone-seen-this&p=266155#post266155

MrRooney
09-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Thank you for the responses. I can see two of those alignment tabs are still in place. I have to pull out the machine, raise the head and get a better look
to see if all are present. Will report back on my findings.

I am working on the machine now for a Z stall problem. I do not see where these small pieces might have been attached to any of the visible plastic components.