PDA

View Full Version : Secret Project III - Puzzle/Two Lock Box

ronboley
07-30-2017, 01:06 PM
So it's (late) July...time to start christmas secret projects...right? Supposed to be a secret to minimize deadline requirements... which wasn't successful in SP I and SP II. One of this year's "secret projects" is a puzzle box. This type of box is posted on the internet by several makers generally referred to as a "two lock" box. It has two stacks of "keys" that have to be set in their unlock position to sucessfully open the box. These keys match two columns of internal dowels to lock the box. In my version there are eight keys with three possible positions each, IN, OUT and MIDDLE. That results in 3 to the 8th power or 6,561 possible combinations. To unlock the box you either have to know the combination (it is set by inserting each key in whatever order you pick with it open), be really good at guessing, have the hands and feel of a lock picker to pull up on the lid and feel the keys in the slots (too hard for me) OR have a fail safe...look at the bottom view...I added small holes in the bottom and the keys to align the keys in open position with a small rod ...shhhh, that's a secret too! I carved each surface with question marks for the puzzle theme but you could carve what ever strikes your fancy.

This project is more about how precise you can cut and fabricate wood than anything else. Unfortunately I tend to use scrap materials when trying out a project. This attaempt used poplar, pine and oak pieces laying around the shop. I did lots of cutting, sanding and fitting as a result. My recommendation (and what I'll do on the next one) is to use all one speices of wood and plane everything to an exact thickness. My intension for the next one is to use a dry, hard wood like 4/4 poplar and plane it to exactly 3/4" thickness so the parts can be very precise as far as dimension and fit.

OK so 6,561 possible combinations may be too many to reasonably solve so you could make the top and bottom keys in each stack middle only and fixed with the other four keys with two positions, IN and OUT. That give 2 to the 4th power or 16 possible combinations.

The box is unfinished but works fairly well. I'll apply finishes to the box and the parts and post final pictures along with my drawing and mpc's if anyone is interested in trying this out.

Merry Christmas!

cestout
07-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Good project and maybe just what I need. Been making presents f the grand kids since '07 and running out of ideas. Also running out of grand kids as the age out at 18. But I have 3 boys just the right age for this. So can you share or sell this design or tell me where to get something to work from. I am experienced in taking magazine or TV projects and adapting the to the CarveWright.
Thanks
Clint

dbemus
07-30-2017, 03:25 PM
I an also interested. Fascinating project!

ronboley
07-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Although made from scrap of different species, the two lock puzzle box works as designed...with some (a lot of) sanding and fitting...so definately start with dry, planed wood of the same species....best to be planed (and cut) to the 3/4" dimension module in the design with slots cut just over 3/4" for fitting and sliding tolerance.

Dimensioned drawings and finish pictures attached. I intend to make at least two more of these boxes with names carved to personalize them, better fit and finish and recessed areas painted for the carving to stand out....christmas is just around the corner you know...

Oh the drawing doesn't show the "fail safe" holes in the box bottom and in the keys...very important to add those to align the keys so you can open the box when you don't know/can't guess the one of 6,500 combinations that will open it. Also note that you set the combination by inserting the keys in any order you choose. I made two "middle" keys, three "left" keys and three "right" keys, but you can make any number to suit. As I said before one might want to simplify the box by making only four keys of left and right configuration with the top and bottom keys in each column simply with a center notch and glued in place to make a 4 key box with only 16 possible combinations.

Good luck. Please post your boxes!

ronboley
07-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah. Here's the mpc files. They are in designer 3...if someone can tell me how to save them in 1.187 from 3.10? I'll repost them. They are really just simple carve areas with text characters to add carving to the top sides and ends.

cestout
08-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks profusely!!
Clint

cestout
08-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Lock Box
I made some engineering but not really design changes to theLock Box. I installed cut lines. If you set snap to 1/8” and turn off perspectiveand look closely you will see that the cut is outside the lines, so the measurementsare correct. For the sides and ends youmay change the depth on the cut outs (but leave the end cuts) to .75 to have yourmachine do the hard work. I added an mpcfor the lock plates and added a ¼” mortice and tenon where they attach. You will need to remove the little ¼ x ¼ x ¼ piecefrom the end of each tenon. They had tobe there for the rollers. I suggestmoving the ¾”x ¾” x 4.5” glue blocks to the outside above the locking bars. I added a ¼” plate to shield the locking mechanismfrom the box contents, and the slots in the ends and sides for a ¼”bottom. I used 3/8” dowel because it ishalf of ¾” and seemed simpler (and I have it in my shop usually). I also added an mpc for the locking bars. You will need a sled with ½” rails and an openingof 12” x 3.75”. Place 10 ¾” x ¾” x 6”pieces in the sled and install a 1/8” cutting bit. Hide the drill holes and carve. Roll all the pieces 90o , un-hide the holes and hide everything else then carve. Haven carved it yet – will do 3 sometimebefore Christmas.

dbemus
08-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Thank you for sharing your revisions!!!

Durtdawber
08-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Can someone post the 1.8x version of these? Please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ronboley
08-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Cestout...very cool...really like the lock parts mpc....like everything, it's a project in development. Can't wait to see your versions so please post pictures!

I obtained some 13/16" brown maple the other day so I can plane it to exactly 3/4". I'm working on better cutting precision technique too so the parts fit very closely. I hope to make at least two more boxes, one a star wars theme for my grand son and one or two "girley" theme for a future gift to my (now) 1-1/2 year old grand daughter and/or my (now) 2nd grand daughter due in February.

If someone can tell me how it's done I would post the files in 1.8x but right now I don't know how....I still have 1.8x under "old" designer(?)

I'm also working on a simple wood gift box as well...wood latch mechanism and carved top...will post that soon.

cestout
08-14-2017, 03:18 PM
There is no easy conversion back to 1.187 that I know of (other than making everything into a pattern). This is not my project, I hijacked it. I need to finish this project for a local craft fair so I can win beat in show again. Last year it was the wooden album and before that the Tambour Box.
Clint

cestout
08-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Correction!!!! I had the holes drilled in the wrong place in the lock plates(upside-down). Here is the correction. Dry fit works ok - glue is drying on lock plate to top connection. I used chip carving patterns instead of "?".
Clint

cestout
09-05-2017, 02:37 PM
I just hot glued it together. There are tape markers on the pins that need to be pushed for demonstration purposes. And one more file correction.
Clint

ronboley
09-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Very cool carving and execution of the "two lock box" !!!!! I'm back from our trip so I can embark on another attempt with the hard maple that has been acclimating in my garage. This one is to be a star wars theme for my grandson....wish me luck.

cestout
09-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Hope you don't mind me hijacking your project.
Clint

ronboley
09-11-2017, 07:49 PM
The more who participate the better...

ronboley
10-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Slow progress....got the maple planed and squared, carved star wars characters...until last piece (back) and half way thru the carve my X bearings siezed up. So design change...R2D2 became an "inside the box" carve and the back is plain. Using planed hard wood and some precision cutting has really helped in the fitment area. I've used the sharp pencil layout and attention to cutting only on the scrap side of the pencil line technique so the parts actually fit !!! Ha.

One other design change...to eliminate the need for the drilled secret key holes I added "numbers" to the key ends via drilled dimples to identify the keys to the box owner. This way the box owner can set the keys in any order and be able to determine the "combination" with a try or two. In fabricating the keys you can pick any numbers to identify the keys and set the keys in the box in any order...I used 1 and 5 for the middle keys, 2,3,4 for the left keys and 6,7,8 for the right keys. Of course only the "box owner" should know this and a "box breaker" would not.

Still have painting and finishing to go. Will post those pictures when done.

Oh and have developed some star wars character patterns from on-line 3D models and .stl conversion to carvewright if anyone would like them.

ronboley
10-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Star Wars Puzzel Box Done!