PDA

View Full Version : Honeycomb design cutout

trainerjay
07-25-2017, 01:41 PM
Has anyone done a honeycomb cutout before? I was wondering how to cutout the inside of the hexagon. Is there a better way of doing this other then tracing over a honeycomb patter with the connect lines tool? In the pic below how would one cut out the white spaces around the black lines?

fwharris
07-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Import the image and in the import window lower the image to remove the center areas of the comb. Save the image as a pattern. Bring the image onto your design board and select "outline". Then highlight/select the outlines followed by the cut path tool. Delete the image if you do not want it to be carved before doing the cut path.

trainerjay
07-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Import the image and in the import window lower the image to remove the center areas of the comb. Save the image as a pattern. Bring the image onto your design board and select "outline". Then highlight/select the outlines followed by the cut path tool. Delete the image if you do not want it to be carved before doing the cut path.

Thanks but Im not getting the same results. I must be missing something. After the image is brought onto the design board I right click and select outline. As pictured below the entire image is outlined. Next I click cut path and the next pic is the result. What step am I missing??

I should also add I want the honeycomb to stay on the board. I'm not looking to do a cutout and have the honeycomb be a separate piece. This is part of the design on a single piece of wood.

lynnfrwd
07-25-2017, 03:20 PM
I thought you were trying to cut it out. Are you wanting to apply a v-bit to it or just carve it into the wood as a pattern?

Connie

fwharris
07-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks but Im not getting the same results. I must be missing something. After the image is brought onto the design board I right click and select outline. As pictured below the entire image is outlined. Next I click cut path and the next pic is the result. What step am I missing??

I should also add I want the honeycomb to stay on the board. I'm not looking to do a cutout and have the honeycomb be a separate piece. This is part of the design on a single piece of wood.

Try "flip cut" on the cut path

bergerud
07-25-2017, 04:44 PM
This a use for my polygon file. ( check out "owner free" polygons: https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29204-Regular-Polygons-Owner-Free&p=262592#post262592)

Some copy-paste action and line up with the snap grid to make a honeycomb. (Note that inset was used in the cut out control.)

trainerjay
07-27-2017, 07:43 AM
This a use for my polygon file. ( check out "owner free" polygons: https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29204-Regular-Polygons-Owner-Free&p=262592#post262592)

Some copy-paste action and line up with the snap grid to make a honeycomb. (Note that inset was used in the cut out control.)

How does Balsa wood work for this type of design as a cut out?

bergerud
07-27-2017, 10:19 AM
I have never used balsa. Seems to me it would be like cutting butter. I would make the tabs extra large.

I would be interested to hear how that goes.

SteveNelson46
07-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Here's one on a 12" by 12" board with 1" hexagons and .25" spacing. I drew the grid in Aspire 9 because it has some great array copy tools with column and row offsets. Then I exported as a .dxf, imported it into the designer and applied the cutout tool.