PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pattern editor

Loriblackdog
07-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Hi All,

I am enclosing a fish my husband wanted me to carve. I have designer 3 I tried to clean up the outside?, however not sure how make the scales of the fish look right. I would appreciate it if anyone can send me information on how to tweak this. Also how do you know what the right bit is for each job? As you can tell I don't do alot of this but I am trying. Thank you all for sending me help.

Loriblackdog84502

Sorry wrong attachment

DickB
07-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Looks like you imported a photo or drawing. There is no easy way to "clean up" this.

fwharris
07-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Using a high quality/resolution image is your best choice for trying to make a pattern. Your image appears to have a lot of high/low points. These can be blended out by using the blur tool.

In Pattern Editor select "view - highlight edit area" this will help to make the area outside of the pattern more visible so you can see the noise pixels that need to be removed. Both of your mpc files have a lot of the pixels that need to be removed.

Loriblackdog
07-25-2017, 03:35 AM
I do search for High resolution pictures, is there a special place to get these from? I thought that is why I have carvewright so I can clean up picturess to use? I will try your suggestion of blowing up so I can see noice. Is there anywhere I can see how to remove pixels? Thank you for your help.

Lori

DickB
07-25-2017, 06:27 AM
I thought that is why I have carvewright so I can clean up picturess to use? LoriCarvewright software interprets pictures as height maps. Pictures and height maps are very different things. Compare the height map of a fire hydrant on the left to a picture of fire hydrant on the right. The imported picture produces a terrible carving.

You'd be better off using quality patterns that have been design for carving rather than importing pictures. To make a good carving, pictures generally must be extensively manipulated.

Loriblackdog
07-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Thank you Dick for the explanation, this is what I need. Black and white on what I can and can't use. Let me ask is there other places to get patterns other than carvewright? I am trying not to spend anymore until I can prove to my self that I can carve. I really appreciate your help. Have a Blessed Day.

Lori

DickB
07-25-2017, 10:12 AM
The best source for free patterns is this forum - look under the Patterns section. If you can't find what you are looking for, ask, and others may help you find it. There are several who enjoy making patterns and will often make one for you no charge if one doesn't exist.

Scooby
07-25-2017, 11:07 AM
This is a good example of why there should be a good tutorial on how to make patterns from pictures or models. This was discussed at the conference, can anyone share the info?

DickB
07-25-2017, 11:22 AM
This is a good example of why there should be a good tutorial on how to make patterns from pictures or models. This was discussed at the conference, can anyone share the info?
This kind of thing has been discussed many times, most recently here: https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29551-How-do-you-create-quality-patterns

If by "models" you mean 3D models, making a pattern from a picture and making one from a model use completely different processes. There are many ways to make patterns depending upon the source and the desired result, so there is no one tutorial. There are many tutorials that have been made and discussed in the forums. Perhaps we should try to consolidate a list of tutorials somewhere.

Loriblackdog
07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
OH PLEASE try to put this information so that the"not so up to date people that have never done this before, can get some much needed help. I do not know that much about 3d modeling so, maybe somethings on how to get a pattern from a picture. I really want to thank you all for the help, I am really trying to learn this. You guys and girls are great inspiration to me.

Thanks
Loriblackdog

cestout
07-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Someone suggested so I tried it - search for (greyscale height map images). some you will find are just B&W pictures, but some are really height maps. You can import them and make them into patterns - into the program but better thru the Pattern Editor. smaller ones seem to be poor quality but larger ones - 6" or larger work well.
Clint

fwharris
07-25-2017, 01:41 PM
OH PLEASE try to put this information so that the"not so up to date people that have never done this before, can get some much needed help. I do not know that much about 3d modeling so, maybe somethings on how to get a pattern from a picture. I really want to thank you all for the help, I am really trying to learn this. You guys and girls are great inspiration to me.

Thanks
Loriblackdog

They do have several training videos demonstrating the add on tools. Here is one for image tracing that might help. http://support.carvewright.com/carvewright-software-tutorial-modeling-patterns-from-a-tracing-image/

I have used this method a lot. You can also edit your original image to remove the back ground area and save as a PNG format. Then over lay the image on to your traced design to add some of the detail. Set the depth the same as your design but lower the height way down. Attached is one I did from a book cover.

DickB
07-25-2017, 06:07 PM
It is actually much, much easier to make a pattern from a 3D model than it is to make a pattern from a picture or photo. This is because the 3D model was made exactly as that - in three dimensions. A photo has no 3D except perhaps in the eye of the beholder. Converting 3D models to patterns does require a software add-on, either Sculptor or STL Importer. On the other hand, there are thousands of free 3D models which you can use as source material. These will convert to very nice carving patterns with virtually no effort, much easier than converting from pictures. You can literally convert a 3D model to a pattern in minutes, wheres a picture might take hours and hours.

Take a look at this Sculptor tutorial to see how easy it is to convert a 3D model to a pattern: http://www.carvewright.com/add-on-modules/pattern-sculptor/. I think this ability of Sculptor is a hidden gem. There are precious few posts on the use of this tool, so I suspect it is underused.

As you are relatively new to carving and Carvewright, I would suggest spending more time using existing patterns to perfect your carving/Carvewright machine skills and then get more involved with pattern design. There are nuances of carving that will impact how you design patterns, which you will learn while doing more carving. Plus, it won't cost you anything. Get a good handle on the basics before reaching out to more difficult pattern making.

Loriblackdog
07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Hi Dick,Again,, THANK YOU!!!! You have been so much help. I found 3 programs for 3d modeling, Blender, Tinkercad or sketcup3d, is there one of these that I might be able to try? Also I have done 2 things for my back porch and I will post them. There are not perfect, but my Husband is calling me the rustic carver.....LOL I am not doing this to sell, it is for me family and friends. Have a great day and thank you for your patience.

Loriblackdog

DickB
07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
I don't use any 3D modeling tools myself. My suggestion is that you can import models that others have created and make them into patterns much easier and with better results than importing pictures.

oscarl48
07-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Lori,

From the programs you mentioned tinkercad is the easier but most basic. Next is sketchup which is a little bit more advanced and has some good features. Blender is a monster. It is an entire 3d modeling, texturing and animation program. Not learned easily but can pretty much create anything under the sun with enough time and effort.

To move 3d models into the CW designer software you do need the STL importer or Sculptor add-ons. There are techniques to import the models without them but it is fairly advanced and sometimes complicated where you render the 3d model as a depth map 2d image.

There are literally thousands of patterns in the pattern sharing section on the forum here. The difficulty is finding the pattern you need when you need it. It can be hard trying to find exactly what you need because there are so many patterns. They do range from basic/poor to wow in skill level. Also search the web for cnc patterns as depth map or vector relief models. They are typically gray scale but they are sometimes yellow and gray scale. Either one works. http://www.cnc4free.org/ is a great site for free cnc patterns.

It is much easier learning how to create 2d images using gray gradients that the CW machine can interpret as height differences for patterns.

Like others have mentioned I would recommend using patterns that have been created already and learn a good 2d graphics program at a future time when you are comfortable with the CW machine. Even the CW basic has pretty good pattern building capabilities if you learn the advanced applications with the spline tool and setting different regions with textures and differing heights.

Creating good patterns from scratch is not easy but can be really rewarding.

For making decent patterns from existing pictures I'll have to defer to the experts on here since that is a skill I do not have. My efforts look like poo if I am lucky.

Good luck and keep at it. It will make complete sense at some point. It took me about a year and now after 3 years I am totally hooked at building patterns.

As an example here is my latest 3d model rendered image, its wire-frame to show how it was built in 3d space, and a quick pattern I made from it using the z-depth or depth image render of it. This was created in blender.

- O

Loriblackdog
08-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Hi All, I want to Thank you Oscar for your deep explanation...I had no idea what I was getting into. LOL, Again I want to Thank you all for being so patient with me, as I am learning slowly......... I am able to stick with it this time, hopefully I don;t get ill again. Anyways I have carved a couple of things I only have a picture of my latest. My husband tells me I should be proud of what I did due to the fact I did it all by myself. Don't lagugh when you see it, I know it is not perfect, but I think it is cute*****. My husband now calls me the "Rustic Carver". So until I get better it will have to do.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE I really appreciate it.

Thank You
"The Rustic Carver" Loriblackdog

oscarl48
08-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Lori, don't know what you are talking about. It came out great. It may be one of a kind but that is true when you build with a natural material like wood. Each piece is special. More so since you created it using your imagination.

- O

Dale
08-01-2017, 03:01 PM
I agree with Oscar, don't sell yourself short, that came out very nice. It is unique!

dbemus
08-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Congratulations Lori!!! Your own creation! Nice job!! Thank you for sharing your experience!!

Loriblackdog
08-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Hi All, I am on my new MAC trying to see if I like it., So far I do. Thank each of you for your words of encouragement for me. I will keep at it and will upload some more of my items. Again, I want to Thank you all for your help.

THANK YOU
Loriblackdog