PDA

View Full Version : JULY 2017 Project of the Month - The Graceful Jewelry Box!

mtylerfl
07-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Hello,

The Graceful Jewelry Box makes a great gift for special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, and birthdays!

The optional interior tray makes it well suited for jewelry storage and organization. However, the box can be used for stowing any keepsakes the recipient desires, with or without the tray.

The sample is carved/cut from Select Pine with a Mahogany stain applied. The box will also look really nice using your choice of hardwood and a clear finish coat. The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Base.mpc
• Box_Sides.mpc
• Top_Lid.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Base: 0.75" x 11" x 20"
Sides: 0.75" x 11" x 27"
Top Lid: 0.75" x 11" x 20"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

Material for optional Tray (not an MPC)
Ply Tray Bottom: 0.125" x 5.5" x 9"
Tray Frame: 0.25" x 1.5" x 5.75" (two) and 0.25" x 1.5" x 9.25" (two)
Tray Dividers: 0.25" x 1" x you choose
Box Tray Supports: 0.5" x 1.5" x 6"

3) Box hinges (I used "no-mortise" hinges from leevalley.com) and screws. Optional: self-stick felt and decorative metal corner feet or wooden round "dollheads"

4) Chop saw, table saw for cutting miters, grooves and parts for optional tray, sandpaper, glue, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Graceful Jewelry Box sample made from Select Pine:

• 1 coat of thinned Bullseye SealCoat (50/50 SealCoat and denatured alcohol), then sanded

• Applied Rust-Oleum Golden Mahogany Stain

• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

• I left the tray natural wood color (the tray was made from Poplar craft wood and Birch ply), applying only SealCoat and Krylon clear for the finish.

• I lined the bottom of the box with self-stick felt sheeting and installed four small decorative metal feet on the box base corners. I had originally planned to “dowel and glue” four round wooden balls (called “dollheads”) as feet for the underside of the jewelry box. However, I accidentally spotted an appropriately sized set of decorative metal corner feet when I was browsing around my local hobby store and couldn’t resist adding those to the box base corners instead.

oscarl48
07-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Very attractive. Well done again.

ThomasJr
07-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Looks great, I can't wait to build it this weekend.

mtylerfl
07-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Thank you!

It took me four days to complete this project! Not because it's that tough to do, but the humidity in my garage workshop was so super high, all the finish coat steps took "forever" to dry. I placed lights and a fan blowing across the parts to with the intention to speed it up. Didn't seem to help much. As it is, the stain was still slightly tacky when I applied the clearcoats over the box parts. I was afraid I would get some blushing or other "bad" consequence doing that, but I think I got lucky. So far, so good. It's inside the house now, in a controlled (low humidity) environment! Takes about a week for a finish to fully cure anyway.

So sorry for the delay getting this project done. If I run into this bad of a humidity problem again, I may just take final photos of "whatever project" as unfinished to meet the deadline. Actually, I think I did that once before. Will have to look at my past PDF instructions to see for sure.

EDIT: Ha! My wife just reminded me I drove her a little nuts because I kept saying aloud, "Gotta get this project done! The dang finish won't dry! Stupid humidity!" repeatedly for a couple days.
:D

henry1
07-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Hello,

The Graceful Jewelry Box makes a great gift for special occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, and birthdays!

The optional interior tray makes it well suited for jewelry storage and organization. However, the box can be used for stowing any keepsakes the recipient desires, with or without the tray.

The sample is carved/cut from Select Pine with a Mahogany stain applied. The box will also look really nice using your choice of hardwood and a clear finish coat. The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Base.mpc
• Box_Sides.mpc
• Top_Lid.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Base: 0.75" x 11" x 20"
Sides: 0.75" x 11" x 27"
Top Lid: 0.75" x 11" x 20"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

Material for optional Tray (not an MPC)
Ply Tray Bottom: 0.125" x 5.5" x 9"
Tray Frame: 0.25" x 1.5" x 5.75" (two) and 0.25" x 1.5" x 9.25" (two)
Tray Dividers: 0.25" x 1" x you choose
Box Tray Supports: 0.5" x 1.5" x 6"

3) Box hinges (I used "no-mortise" hinges from leevalley.com) and screws. Optional: self-stick felt and decorative metal corner feet or wooden round "dollheads"

4) Chop saw, table saw for cutting miters, grooves and parts for optional tray, sandpaper, glue, clamps, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Graceful Jewelry Box sample made from Select Pine:

• 1 coat of thinned Bullseye SealCoat (50/50 SealCoat and denatured alcohol), then sanded

• Applied Rust-Oleum Golden Mahogany Stain

• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

• I left the tray natural wood color (the tray was made from Poplar craft wood and Birch ply), applying only SealCoat and Krylon clear for the finish.

• I lined the bottom of the box with self-stick felt sheeting and installed four small decorative metal feet on the box base corners. I had originally planned to “dowel and glue” four round wooden balls (called “dollheads”) as feet for the underside of the jewelry box. However, I accidentally spotted an appropriately sized set of decorative metal corner feet when I was browsing around my local hobby store and couldn’t resist adding those to the box base corners instead.
When will be in the project list so I can buy have to make a gift for august wedding