PDA

View Full Version : x motor stall

darth woodilust
07-03-2017, 10:04 PM
long to short, keep getting x motor stall. it will start then immediately stop. disassemble machine. removed x motor from the belt feed gears. tested motor. same response. it starts but stop quickly. It has happened in the past and after doing all of the above I put the motor back in and it worked fine for my last carve. today I spent a few hours scratching my head? anyone seen this type of thing?

fwharris
07-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Are you sure you are reporting the correct axis stall? The X axis is the drive belts that move the board through the machine, Y axis moves the cutting head across the board from key board end to the bit plate end of the machine and the Z axis moves the cutting head up and down.

darth woodilust
07-04-2017, 11:04 AM
yes sir the x axis that drives belt feed. checked head pressure. lubed. disassemble and cleaned machine top to bottom. removed x axis motor and it tested fine and turned with no noise.

darth woodilust
07-04-2017, 11:14 AM
the error message is e04-0293. again motor starts then stops with zero resistance as i do not have any gear installed. when motor is tested outside of machine (different power supply) it spins fine

darth woodilust
07-04-2017, 08:25 PM
so after letting myself cool down after the aggravation i felt from this machine giving me problems again after barely 100 hours carve time, i turned on machine and preformed a x axis motor test it worked fine. loaded a piece of wood and it gave me the error again. unloade wood and preformed x axis test again and again a E04 0293 error message appears. Any feedback is appreciated

darth woodilust
07-04-2017, 08:28 PM
I just updated the software for the first time in years a few weeks ago.

fwharris
07-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Did you check the gears for any missing teeth and that they are aligned with each other?

darth woodilust
07-05-2017, 07:32 AM
The gears are good. Again gears not engaged for testing purposes. Motor works with outside power source. When the machine controls the motor a start and quick stop

fwharris
07-05-2017, 09:53 AM
I would look at the X drive circuit path then, X termination board.

Digitalwoodshop
07-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Sand Paper Belts? Are any turned UNDER... Hard to see....

Is board tapered in thickness?

Mugsowner
07-06-2017, 06:23 AM
If I am reading this right, you are trying to run the machine with X drive free wheeling for test purposes. If that is the case, the tracking sensor may be pick up the fact the board never moved and kicking up an error. The motor should be hooked up and driving the belts, or tracking will cause errors, I would think (could be wrong).

darth woodilust
07-16-2017, 02:06 PM
The x motor was replaced. Carvewright guys on the phone said it was probably a bad encoder. I put the new x motor in today and I have the same problem. X motor starts then stops immediately. This happens when it's engaged in the gears of belt drive or disconnected from it. Head pressure is not the issue. Motor not the issue. Didn't notice anything suspicious when x motor circuit board was inspected. Any ideas 💡?

cestout
07-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Check the X Term board. When it stops the cut motor you can see the burn damage, I don't know about the X motor. Does the X motor have an encoder? I thought the tracking roller took care of that. Evidently what ever turns on the X motor is the problem.
Clint

darth woodilust
07-16-2017, 05:04 PM
The x motor does have an encoder which is why I bought a new motor. I tested the old motor before making the purchase and the motor worked fine in my outside the machine test. Thought maybe it was the encoder. Unless they sent a bad part I'm lost. Inspected x motor board and didn't notice any thing that stood out.

SteveNelson46
07-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Check to be sure the rubber traction belts are not rubbing on the tracking roller "O" ring. After that, it could be cables, X-termination board, or the controller. Since a new controller is $300 I would start with cables and an x-termination board.

Digitalwoodshop
07-16-2017, 07:25 PM
I would next change the X Termination Board.

AL

bergerud
07-17-2017, 10:11 AM
I would think that the problem is either that there is too much friction in the x drive system or that the motor is not getting enough power. (I think you have eliminated the encoder as the problem.)

My guess is the too much friction. With the x gear cover off, roll the large gear by hand and see how hard it is to move the belts with and without a board clamped in. You could also try measuring a board with differing amounts of head pressure. For example, just lower the head until the roller switches click.

darth woodilust
08-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Motor has been tested without any resistance ( gears drive to belt feed removed) I do not believe it is friction as I have stated;the motor has also been tested outside the machine with no failures. I think I see a bad resistor on the x termination board as it appears to have black leads and all other resistors and capacitors are brown which appears to be glue

bergerud
08-04-2017, 07:48 PM
I think, but maybe wrong, that the X termination board is only the speed controller for the cut motor. The x motor power and control wires simply pass through the board as a connector.

It could be the controller itself. Hard to test and expensive to replace.

fwharris
08-04-2017, 08:04 PM
I think, but maybe wrong, that the X termination board is only the speed controller for the cut motor. The x motor power and control wires simply pass through the board as a connector.

It could be the controller itself. Hard to test and expensive to replace.

If the board is bad you will loose power to the cut motor.

darth woodilust
08-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Replaced x termination board. No difference other than now my cut motor doesn't spin.

darth woodilust
08-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Bypassed cover switch and cut motor is now operational but still no luck with x stall. New motor and new x termination board. Anyway to run a diagnostic on the controller?

SteveNelson46
08-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Bypassed cover switch and cut motor is now operational but still no luck with x stall. New motor and new x termination board. Anyway to run a diagnostic on the controller?

Unless you only bypassed one switch at least you have eliminated one problem. Next, I would remove the right side end panel and inspect the X-axis gears and assembly.

Here is a link to on how to disassemble and replace it. It looks more complicated than it really is.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_x-drive_gear.pdf

darth woodilust
08-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Unless you only bypassed one switch at least you have eliminated one problem. Next, I would remove the right side end panel and inspect the X-axis gears and assembly.

Here is a link to on how to disassemble and replace it. It looks more complicated than it really is.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_x-drive_gear.pdf
Taken this machine apart inside and out many times. Biomedical engineer for thirteen years. This is pretty basic for me mechanically.
Already checked gears. All operational with no missing teeth. Motor tested with gear assembly removed. Motor tested with gears install and belts removed. Same problem every time; motor starts for a quick second then stops. Prompting x motor stall error on screen. All of this started after updating software and reformatting card. Can the controller be given a diagnostic test?

SteveNelson46
08-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Taken this machine apart inside and out many times. Biomedical engineer for thirteen years. This is pretty basic for me mechanically.
Already checked gears. All operational with no missing teeth. Motor tested with gear assembly removed. Motor tested with gears install and belts removed. Same problem every time; motor starts for a quick second then stops. Prompting x motor stall error on screen. All of this started after updating software and reformatting card. Can the controller be given a diagnostic test?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no user test that can be done on the controller. I would replace the x-motor and/or the x-termination board first. The controller is over $300.00. I really think you should give LHR a call and talk with their tech support guy. The hurricane hit them directly so they may not be available for awhile.

darth woodilust
08-29-2017, 03:28 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there is no user test that can be done on the controller. I would replace the x-motor and/or the x-termination board first. The controller is over $300.00. I really think you should give LHR a call and talk with their tech support guy. The hurricane hit them directly so they may not be available for awhile.
I replaced x termination board Sunday.

I spoke with tech support about this issue when it began several weeks ago. They suggested that the motor needed replacement due to possible encoder issue. Next was the brass wheel encoder, which I didn't understand due to the fact that the wheel doesn't touch the belts during an x axis test in the option menu of the LCD display. Finally, as I noted above, I was given advice to replace the x termination board which I was willing to try for my own suspicion that one of the resistors looked a little suspect. Can't lhr fix this without buying a new one? I guess that's a question for them though