PDA

View Full Version : Securing Project Piece to Sled - Best Method?

Cgav34
06-29-2017, 06:18 AM
What's the best method to secure a project piece to a simple sled --- and to secure the end pieces (that will stay under the rollers) to the sled as well?

Masking tape wrapped around? Double sided tape?

DianMayfield
06-29-2017, 06:40 AM
In the example in your picture, I glue down one end. In quick and simple carves I wrap tape around the far end, add my carving board and wrap a couple of laps where they meet at both ends. With long, or aggressive carves, I would use screws on the far end. If the sled is long, where there might be some bow as it travels further out the machine, I add a couple laps along the carve board. I use blue painters tape from Harbor Freight. For this purpose, I find it wraps and releases from the board better than the 3M..3M has a tendency to snap apart as you wrap the sharp edges of the board.

When you wrap, don't go over the same spot too many times, causing a high spot, make slight diagonal, overlapping wraps.

DickB
06-29-2017, 06:52 AM
I glue or screw the end pieces to the base of the sled. I also fasten 1" rails to the base. My project boards are held in place with a couple of thumbscrews. Scraps are used to accommodate smaller project boards. This type of sled is quite versatile.

DianMayfield
06-29-2017, 07:18 AM
Dick, I like your rail push pieces!

fwharris
06-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Masking tape or a pin nailed.

Cgav34
06-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Excellent ideas. Thanks y'all!

Sliverfoot
06-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Carpet tape would be another option.

rnichols
06-29-2017, 12:53 PM
I use most of the suggestion listed above. I use the double sided tape but it is turning tape, this has fibers in it, I also use the blue tape but just one stripe each end. I do not wrap it around the sled. I also cut the sled width to the size of the project board. But I have some 1/8 inch plywood that I took out from dressers etc. I have never had a problem doing it this way. Oh forgot to mention, I also tape the project board down with the double tape to the sled.

gwhiz
07-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Like Dick, I glue the end pieces and use side rails. I fasten the project board to the sled with carpet tape. I also have a couple sizeable holes in the sled so that I can push the project board apart from the sled.

shortyscwater17
02-09-2018, 04:16 PM
So I have never built a sled before but I see the picture that Dick put up. When it comes to the sled, I would make the sled have 3.5" end pieces and maybe some side rails for support, then just screw or carpet tape the project board to the sled in the area that will not be used? I just made my first Jesus Cross last night and think I want to batch a bunch out but don't want to have the 7" of waste with it. I finally got my new board sensor so i'm aching to get the carving.

want2b
02-16-2018, 06:04 PM
So I have never built a sled before but I see the picture that Dick put up. When it comes to the sled, I would make the sled have 3.5" end pieces and maybe some side rails for support, then just screw or carpet tape the project board to the sled in the area that will not be used? I just made my first Jesus Cross last night and think I want to batch a bunch out but don't want to have the 7" of waste with it. I finally got my new board sensor so i'm aching to get the carving.

Just checked your message and realised there was no response. You have the basics correct. My suggestion would be to do a search on 'sleds'. There are many posts that should give you tons of info for your own use in building a basic sled. They do save you a lot of wood and also allow you to use thin products. The search should also provide how to purchase plans for sleds that are well thought out and proven from use.. Sorry you didn't get a response sooner.
Good luck,
Rick H

DickB
02-16-2018, 06:24 PM
I didn't respond because naturally I think that the best way to do this is the way that I described. ;)