PDA

View Full Version : Wow! A first

SteveNelson46
06-25-2017, 10:49 AM
I think this is the first time that I have seen no new posts in over 24 hours. Is anyone still out there or was there a melt down and I didn't get the memo?

Dale
06-25-2017, 10:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing, guess everyone went to the conference.

SteveNelson46
06-25-2017, 11:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing, guess everyone went to the conference.

There were probably 75 or 80 attendees at the conference out of several thousand users. Maybe everyone is anticipating something new. I have noticed an alarming lack of participation here on the forum in the last few months. I'm not sure why but, to me, it is disappointing. I like to not only share patterns and project but new ideas and techniques and I think that is what makes it all interesting. The Senior Members section is for sharing advanced concepts but there hasn't been any posts there in a long time either. I sure hope this trend doesn't continue.

oscarl48
06-25-2017, 11:40 AM
It has been slowing down. This has been a fun group so hope it picks up again.

bergerud
06-25-2017, 12:04 PM
It takes a certain amount of activity to keep people interested. I guess we have fallen below a critical mass. I sure hope it picks up again as well.

henry1
06-25-2017, 12:51 PM
It takes a certain amount of activity to keep people interested. I guess we have fallen below a critical mass. I sure hope it picks up again as well.
I agree Berg interest is not there

dltccf
06-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I think the slowdown is directly related to the amount going on over on the facebook page. I see a lot of the questions asked there are already addressed here, but I think people find it easier to use FB because they are checking there already for other things than to come to a dedicated forum.

gwhiz
06-25-2017, 01:00 PM
I think the slowdown is directly related to the amount going on over on the facebook page. I see a lot of the questions asked there are already addressed here, but I think people find it easier to use FB because they are checking there already for other things than to come to a dedicated forum.

Yea--I see the same. And frankly I'm guilty as well as posts there pop up in my news feed and I feel like I've checked in with my CW friends even though I haven't made the trip here.

myshop1044
06-25-2017, 01:04 PM
I believe y'all are right, there is a lot action with questions that could be answered on the forum better.
I push the forum more on FB.

Scooby
06-25-2017, 01:05 PM
I read the forum everyday to try to learn from others. I hope videos of the lectures will be shown on the website. Not everyone can go to the conference but still would like to learn new techniques or just get a refresher course. I would love to learn more about designing but I am at a standstill, the more we can learn the more interest there is and new ideas are shared. I know what I want to do but don't know how to do it. If I could get over this hurdle I could take off. I haven't touched the machine in months because of breakdowns and time but I still faithfully read the forum. Keep the ideas and lessons coming.

fwharris
06-25-2017, 02:12 PM

There does seem to be more FB activity going versus the forum. Seems to be more new users there asking the questions like what used to be here. Not sure but I think people like the instant chat format, you ask and then get instant notification of a response. But there is no place like home! :)

lawrence
06-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Did someone here request a meltdown?

;) hope you're well and I do enjoy reading about everyone's adventures with their CW

Lawrence

mtylerfl
06-26-2017, 10:16 AM
I've noticed more folks (especially over the last year or so), using FaceBook instead of, or in addition to, ALL forums. Personally, I don't like using FaceBook instead of a dedicated forum, for a number of reasons.

FaceBook is somewhat of a chaotic mess if you are trying to locate a previous post made on a particular topic. A dedicated forum is FAR BETTER for that. It also spreads information over two areas (or several), creating confusion. If a user sticks to using the forum for posting questions/answers, uploading photos of their cool projects and so on, we have a very nice, convenient, focused place to visit. Nowadays, some post on FaceBook, some post on the forum (again, this is not isolated to the CW Forum - it's happening on all of them.)

I'm not against posting on FaceBook - I do it myself. However, I don't think a FaceBook page is suitable as a main source of information like a forum. FaceBook is horrible for that in the long-term. Short-term Q&A is fine, but quickly gets buried as new posts are made (I think we all can testify to that.) I think of FaceBook as a sort of "blog" which we can enjoy, but it is certainly no replacement for a dedicated forum IMO.

I like what a friend of mine says often..."Pick a lane!" Meaning, make a choice where you want to post and receive your main information.

It's a tough situation right now, as I think the younger folks "prefer" FaceBook and don't realize how much better a forum can be for archiving and finding information over the long haul. After awhile, I think most folks will come to realize there is no good replacement for a dedicated forum and it should be their primary "go-to" place to visit for a particular product or field.

SteveNelson46
06-26-2017, 11:36 AM
I've noticed more folks (especially over the last year or so), using FaceBook instead of, or in addition to, ALL forums. Personally, I don't like using FaceBook instead of a dedicated forum, for a number of reasons.

FaceBook is somewhat of a chaotic mess if you are trying to locate a previous post made on a particular topic. A dedicated forum is FAR BETTER for that. It also spreads information over two areas (or several), creating confusion. If a user sticks to using the forum for posting questions/answers, uploading photos of their cool projects and so on, we have a very nice, convenient, focused place to visit. Nowadays, some post on FaceBook, some post on the forum (again, this is not isolated to the CW Forum - it's happening on all of them.)

I'm not against posting on FaceBook - I do it myself. However, I don't think a FaceBook page is suitable as a main source of information like a forum. FaceBook is horrible for that in the long-term. Short-term Q&A is fine, but quickly gets buried as new posts are made (I think we all can testify to that.) I think of FaceBook as a sort of "blog" which we can enjoy, but it is certainly no replacement for a dedicated forum IMO.

I like what a friend of mine says often..."Pick a lane!" Meaning, make a choice where you want to post and receive your main information.

It's a tough situation right now, as I think the younger folks "prefer" FaceBook and don't realize how much better a forum can be for archiving and finding information over the long haul. After awhile, I think most folks will come to realize there is no good replacement for a dedicated forum and it should be their primary "go-to" place to visit for a particular product or field.

I'm with you Michael. Before retirement I was in the information technology field for 20 years so I'm not opposed to new forms of communication but Facebook just seems frivolous and scatter-brained. IMO, Facebook and other "social media" was spawned from people's insecurities. "Look at me. I'm really great. Look at these insignificant pictures I took. Me, me, me." I really don't care to read a minute by minute playbook of what other people are doing and there are other forms of communication that are much more efficient.

DianMayfield
06-26-2017, 12:56 PM
I stopped using Facebook a few years ago, all that personal info available - eek! I would suppose that there are uses in a business sense, just haven't explored it.

My point is that the forums really need to be promoted on their Facebook page, the place to build community, research problems, get pattern help, get patterns, blah, blah, blah. If this is already happening, pardon my knowledge gap :). I know at the conference, there were not hand outs available of the different resources.

Sliverfoot
06-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Not quite sure how to put this down. I subscribe to the Facebook group as well as check the forum daily. I use the Facebook group to see what people are making, it seems there are a lot more posts (and pictures) of projects that people have done than on the forum. BUT information that is accessible in an organized way and the knowledge that the members are anxious to share on this forum is vital me and many others. This place is important.
My machines are in storage right now while I build a new workspace so for the time being I have to sit on the sidelines.

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Not quite sure how to put this down. I subscribe to the Facebook group as well as check the forum daily. I use the Facebook group to see what people are making, it seems there are a lot more posts (and pictures) of projects that people have done than on the forum. BUT information that is accessible in an organized way and the knowledge that the members are anxious to share on this forum is vital me and many others. This place is important.
My machines are in storage right now while I build a new workspace so for the time being I have to sit on the sidelines.

Wow, I could almost claim that post as my own.... I visit the FB Page too and believe that because people can have "Others" see the work they do easier, they use FB... And I too have not fired up my machine in almost 3 Months.... Have a supply of tags already cut but have been dealing with a sick Family Member since mid April and have done zero shop work.... All better now so back to work... I file semiannual Sales and Use Tax on the 30th and I think I have one invoice for the year for about $200.00 in sales... Can we say a "Slow Year....".... Many Fire Departments have see a sharp drop in funds and less Grant Money to go around and are picking a cheaper option in tags and boards. I send a lot of Price Lists and Samples but few call back... That's the problem with being the most expensive. And like the original POST about lack of activity HERE.... I usually see a drop off in orders in the summer as less Firemen go to the meetings so they don't vote to spend the money.

AL

Scooby
06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
And too many are using FB as their own "personal family photo album," I really don't care what they had for dinner or bragging about something something in their life.

fwharris
06-26-2017, 11:59 PM
Right now there is around 130 people on the forum but only about 3 logged in. Back in 2007 when I started on the forum the number on the forum was probably about the same but easily way more were actually logged in. There was always a good number of guests and as I have talked/chatted with users they have admitted that they use the forum as a resource for information but very seldom post. Some have stated that they were active here but have backed off do to feeling attacked (probably to strong of a word) for their posts/opinions. These things are probably about the same today.

What has changed though IMO is way less machine issues and questions about how to do certain design features. The machine upgrades, software documentation and videos lessened the need of new users to seek out or post on the forum. Also I think the amount of information already posted here has made it easier to bring up like type topics to look at when using the search feature. I think any key word will bring up a minimum of 3 pages of posts.

Just my thoughts....

xchief807
06-27-2017, 06:41 AM
I look at the facebook page just to see what's going on. but I use this forum for all my questions. If it wasn't for this forum I would be lost. this forum keeps my machine going. The help you get here is like no other forum.

DickB
06-27-2017, 06:44 AM
Some have stated that they were active here but have backed off do to feeling attacked (probably to strong of a word) for their posts/opinions. Wow, that's a surprise to me. This is the most civil forum in which I have participated. Too bad.

fwharris
06-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Wow, that's a surprise to me. This is the most civil forum in which I have participated. Too bad.

Things have been very calm for a while now.

SteveNelson46
06-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Right now there is around 130 people on the forum but only about 3 logged in. Back in 2007 when I started on the forum the number on the forum was probably about the same but easily way more were actually logged in. There was always a good number of guests and as I have talked/chatted with users they have admitted that they use the forum as a resource for information but very seldom post. Some have stated that they were active here but have backed off do to feeling attacked (probably to strong of a word) for their posts/opinions. These things are probably about the same today.

What has changed though IMO is way less machine issues and questions about how to do certain design features. The machine upgrades, software documentation and videos lessened the need of new users to seek out or post on the forum. Also I think the amount of information already posted here has made it easier to bring up like type topics to look at when using the search feature. I think any key word will bring up a minimum of 3 pages of posts.

Just my thoughts....

I feel that helping others with hardware issues is a job for the Carvewright's support team. I will help if I can but, to me, this forum is about exchanging ideas and design concepts. Well, maybe to show off your finished projects too. I think that too much of it is dedicated to "problems" instead of discussing how a project is made and why a specific technique or tool was used.

fwharris
06-27-2017, 04:28 PM
I feel that helping others with hardware issues is a job for the Carvewright's support team. I will help if I can but, to me, this forum is about exchanging ideas and design concepts. Well, maybe to show off your finished projects too. I think that too much of it is dedicated to "problems" instead of discussing how a project is made and why a specific technique or tool was used.

No arguments from me on this.

DickB
06-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Well, when your car breaks down you can take it to a dealer or work on it yourself. The dealer and car company are not particularly interested in helping do-it-yourselfers. Forums that cater to your specific make, model, and year of vehicle are a godsend. DIYs helping other DIYs. A fine thing in my book.

CarverJerry
06-27-2017, 07:07 PM
I have to agree that FB may be part of the problem why members don't check in here like they used to. But I myself am really tired of how FB has been working (loading pages and ads) and all the other BS that others post about their opinions and political outlooks. For me, I'd rather fire up the computer and head over here to read what other members have to say and show or how to do things only related to our hobby. I hope it picks up again.

want2b
06-27-2017, 07:15 PM

I realise there is a lot of time devoted to helping users 'find & fix" problems. What does the time spent on the forum cost us as users?? Thanks be to the users that really understand the inner workings of the carver and are willing to share their expertise at no cost to others.
Look at it from a different perspective. If all those users who don't understand the technology were forced to call LHR and pay for the support given here, how many users would we lose?? The beauty of this forum is that people are willing to share both their abilities in the hardware of the carver and the designer side of the shop. AND at no charge to the needy/inexperienced user.
Add in that the manufacturer is 'willing/smart enough' to provide us with the forum to help us figure things out I think we're doing OK.
Off my soap box, I want to thank all of you who understand the carver hardware and those who can create patterns using various software for your sharing attitude.

Thanks to all,
Rick H

rmock
06-27-2017, 07:32 PM
I appreciate the forum for what it is. I have never had a question go unanswered. The knowledge here is amazing and the willingness of the members to walk you through repairs and design questions is super. I may not write much but I do check in and follow posts daily. I also like the facebook page, Larry is doing a great job with it, I really think both can complement each other, I will and do direct people to the forum for answers to most questions as the forum is much easier to search topics.

SharonB
06-28-2017, 01:01 AM
I'd be lost without the forum. Not only for the help when needed but for the sharing and the fellowship that has always been part of the forum. I'm here most nights. I might not be posting but I'm interested in what all the rest of you are sharing. We all know we can't please everyone.

jaustin
06-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Could it be not as many people are buying Cartwright's anymore and found other machines to do the same at a lesser value and accessory cost?

With the build it your self machines start up cost is a lot cheaper. you also probably can find free software to create the same projects that you have to pay for each piece of the software through carvewright.

Example i can use inkscape to create a dxf file that i can load in to cam software and can use it on multiple types of machine. but with carvewright only one machine.

New generation of user prefer using facebook easier to access on the go.

mtylerfl
06-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Could it be not as many people are buying Cartwright's anymore and found other machines to do the same at a lesser value and accessory cost?

I don't think so, since that doesn't exist. There is no other machine and/or suite of software products that are "cheaper" and equal to everything the CarveWright System can do. Slicer, STL Importer and Sculptor are unique in the industry...Slicer and STL Importer offer the most slicing options and flexibility than anything else I know of that cost less than the CW software products (many wanna-be software copycats even cost more!), and Sculptor can "squish" 3D models and retain detail better than anything else I know of when converting from Full 3D to a 2.5D model for CNC machining. Blender can come close (it's free) but I know of only one person that has figured out how to do it in the last ten years. Sculptor is dead-simple to use and a great value if you do a lot of 3D to 2.5D conversions as well as sculpting (the sculpting tools are superb).

With the build it your self machines start up cost is a lot cheaper. you also probably can find free software to create the same projects that you have to pay for each piece of the software through carvewright.

The other CNC forums are filled with people who think they can get by "on the cheap". They quickly discover that there is a lot more to it than they first thought. Just yesterday, some poor fellow on one of the forums was asking how to get his design data to his CNC for actual cutting. He didn't realize he needed a control board, control software and a post processor to make his "cheap" CNC do anything useful. That's just one teeny example. He will be spending more $$ before he can even get started being productive.

Example i can use inkscape to create a dxf file that i can load in to cam software and can use it on multiple types of machine. but with carvewright only one machine.

You can use a DXF file for the CarveWright or any machine you wish, no matter what vector drawing software you use. Not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.

New generation of user prefer using facebook easier to access on the go. Yes, and that's unfortunate in many ways. They miss a lot as compared to frequenting a dedicated User Forum for whatever product(s) they need consistent and searchable help for.