PDA

View Full Version : Strange Issue with Cutting Project

Cgav34
06-23-2017, 06:18 AM
I've attempted a project twice now... In the .mpc, I have the pattern (carved with the 1/16" carving bit), a vector cut path around the project (with the 3/16" cutting bit), and a cut path around the project (with the 1/8" cutting bit).

I took another users advice and do the vector cut path,with a slight offset, followed by the cut path, to eliminate the lines created when doing multiple cutout passes.

On the first carve, during initial setup, the bit changing & recognition went flawlessly; however, after the piece is carved, and it asked for the 3/16" cutting bit for the vector path, after loading it, the motor never did a spin-up test...it just moved to the homing position, then started the process of cutting the vector path, without the motor spinning. I stopped the project, removed the board, and did a motor test...everything went fine.

On the second project (same pattern and setup), everything went fine at the start as well; but again, after inserting the 3/16" bit for the vector cut, the motor never did the brief spin-up test. I opened the cover and manually spun the chuck around a few times and wiggled the wires. After homing, the motor spun up...but them moved into a weird position on the project (not where it was supposed to be), lowered the bit, and started moving very...VERY slow, I could barely even tell if it was moving or not (the cut was along the length of the board, so the only motors moving were the belts). Frustrated, I shut everything down and just went to bed.

On my third attempt, I went back to the first project piece, since it never got cut out. In the .mpc, I removed the 3/16" vector cut path around the project and just went with a cut path using the 1/8" cutting bit with .25" deep passes. I placed tape over the pattern so the board sensor could measure the board, and everything went fine...piece is now carved.

I started using the 3/16" bit, since most of my projects are oak, after breaking a 1/8" cutting bit. I've cut projects out before with (only) the 3/16" bit with no problems, but the details and tight corners in this most recent project needed the 1/8" bit, so I figured do the bulk of the work with the 3/16" bit, then finish it up with the 1/8" bit. First time using two cutting bits like that, but I doubt that has anything to do with the issue.

Any ideas what might be causing these problems? I appreciate anyone's help!

Digitalwoodshop
06-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Could be a software problem and if it is then I don't have a clue...

If a Mechanical Problem....

How Many Cut Hours? Over 250 I would replace the Cut Motor Brushes.

It is possible the Right side clear cover safety switch is intermittent... I would try a "seat belt".... A piece of Tape applied to the clear cover when 1/4 open looping down into the black cover flex slot. When the cover closes, it pulls the clear cover toward the switch. I have one on the left side switch.

AL

SteveNelson46
06-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Try reformatting AND re-flashing the data card.