PDA

View Full Version : outlet cover and switch plates

Gman_Ind
03-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I searched but did not find any outlet covers nor switch plates? I plan on making custom covers for my house. I have seen these at the stores and thought it would be a good project for the machine.

RC Woodworks
03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Mike, you might try to copy a picture of a cover you like and then save it to a file. Then import it to the CW pattern designer and see how it comes out.

You might look at www.vandykes.com, I will look also for you tell me what you are looking for?

Rick

Dan-Woodman
03-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Buy on at the clearance island or dollar store and scan it.

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 08:33 AM
If my probe arrives soon I will scan a wall plate I have and add the custom images, it sounds like a good project to learn a few new techniques with.

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 08:20 PM
I have been making a few test switch plates. They are made with the stock patterns Looking good but sorta like my Grandma would have had. I now want to figure out making good imageas to import into designer. is there a basic tutorial anywhere? Tips pointers? I have Photo shop 6 and almost use it.

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Mike, You might have trouble with the cut out for the switch, the little square piece of waste stock getting wedged in the slot you cut out and breaking the bit.

You could do something like carve the waste area thin then cut it out, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Just a thought.... 1/8 inch bits are hard to get.... Could stop you dead in your tracks.

This is all new to me too so I could be wrong too....

Didn't look but how thin is your stock?

Good Luck,

AL

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Ok I am trying to scare the Mrs but this is less old lady like for a cover.
the one on the far right was accidentally cut with the 1/8 " bit but it was the first thing I was able to cut after fixing the roller switch.
the one on the left is the skully plate I stopped it before it cut out the screw holes and the switch hole. I finished the plates with dark wax, it stains and finishes one step. It also can have a patina build up which is what I was going for.

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Mike, You might have trouble with the cut out for the switch, the little square piece of waste stock getting wedged in the slot you cut out and breaking the bit.

You could do something like carve the waste area thin then cut it out, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Just a thought.... 1/8 inch bits are hard to get.... Could stop you dead in your tracks.

This is all new to me too so I could be wrong too....

Didn't look but how thin is your stock?

Good Luck,

AL

Thanks but the software put tabs in to hold the center piece and I carve from a larger piece and allowed it to cut it out, 4 tabs are left to cut it free and it is soo neat. go ahead and try one, the carvings can be deleted and use your own design, next is figuring the back side relief cut, :)

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Mike,

The tabs are sometimes not as visiable in the file as in real life. My signs have tabs but you don't see them very easy on the screen.

What material are you making them from? .7 cm or .275 inch thick.

Will the machine clamp down on that? Don't see you using a sled so I guess so.... Learned something new....

Thanks,

AL

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
It is laid out in metric I was lazy this morning and it was easier to input metric than convert the fractions over to decimal.
I cut it from 1/2" aspen and if it is cupped or bowed it will not cut. I think the 1/2 is pushing the limit on the thickness it worked a couple times today. I have 2 pieces that it will not cut, they are cupped quite a bit.

John
03-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Store bought wood covers have a metal plate on the back side. I'm sure they are available somewhere for DIY's, but I don't have a clue where. When "country" was hot there were a couple of crafters that made wooden covers and sold them at the craft shows. They all had the metal plates on the inside as well.
Just did a quick search and found a site saying they are required in certain parts of the country.

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 11:24 PM
The Mrs. wanted this one with the leaf standing out from the surface. The tabs holding the leaf and the cutout to the base wood are visible.
I wonder how thick the metal must be if it is a code/fire issue? I have really small industrial grade plain metal outlet covers and switch covers that could be placed on a routed out back. Or could we use aluminum tape?

rjp736
03-31-2007, 11:32 PM
GMAN, looks good.

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 11:55 PM
thanks Robbie, this is my first almost full day dedicated to carving, I would like to encourage everyone to push their comfort zones with this, it is a steep learning curve. I had the leaf in a pocket then the Mrs said she would like the leaf standing out from the surface not sinking into it. Right clicked the leaf, Outlined the leaf and clicked carve region, I set the depth to just touch the lowest part of the leaf, easy as pie.
Can't remember who posted the pistols, but I did same to each pattern and it flattened the background behind the trigger. super fast and simple.

BoardSilly
04-01-2007, 11:07 AM
It is laid out in metric I was lazy this morning and it was easier to input metric than convert the fractions over to decimal.

Here is a helper for you. It will convert your fractions to decimal for you. It is an html file using a javascript, which means it will work on any platform; Mac or PC. Unzip the file to your PC and then just open it with your browser. Makes the conversion quick and painless.

Dan-Woodman
04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Designer does that for you,why do you need a seperate program to do that?
Or is that another thing not included with sears machines?

Jeff_Birt
04-01-2007, 05:52 PM
The software is EXACTLY the same. The beta only have access to the centerline and other 'experimental' functions. But as you say, you can enter fractional units in Designer. No need for any conversion software.

BoardSilly
04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
If you don't want it or need it, don't download it. Sorry for helping.

Jeff_Birt
04-01-2007, 09:07 PM
No, problem BoardSilly, not trying to discourage sharing. Just wanted to second Dan's information that Designer does allow one to input fractional units. I do have lots of other uses for imperial-metric conversion though...Thanks.

Gman_Ind
04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the converter I actually don't need one for most dimensions 1/16" intervals I was a CAD draftstman for many years many years ago and when I am not hungover from celebrating a new tool arrival I can convert on the fly I had a metric ruler in my PC desk and thats the main reason it is scaled in metric. I use metric a bit but not often enough.
I really appreciate how helpful everyone is on this forum, this is a good bunch.

Semper Fi
04-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Anyone have a double outlet cover? I need one slightly oversized to cover a sloopy panel cutout.

Thanks,
Ernie

thaley
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
so far i have made 35 covers the thing i have found is use 3/8 thick metarl
and use oke or wallnut poplar is ok but lose detal in places i have a 6"x48" pat that i use to put the designs on an dont wory about doing the back wast of time dont let the cc cut the holes will brake a bit fast just set the depth a t .125 more than actule use dremal or drill to finish out
hope this helps ps the duble swtch covers are easer hahahaha

Semper Fi
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the advice, but I was really looking for a pattern file to use. I planned on making it out of red oak and thanks for the heads up on the holes. I wouldn't want to break my carving bit.

Ernie

forqnc
04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Here's some covers I am hoping to make for a friend, your welcome to use and adjust if needed. I have not carved these yet, so I am hoping they are correct.
If you do carve let me know how they come out, I'm hoping to get to them this weekend.

Semper Fi
04-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Forqnc, but I guess I didn't explain what I'm looking for very well. I'm looking for a double receptical (4 plugs) cover. I probably didn't make that any clearer either. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to explain it better.

Ernie

forqnc
04-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks, Forqnc, but I guess I didn't explain what I'm looking for very well. I'm looking for a double receptical (4 plugs) cover. I probably didn't make that any clearer either. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to explain it better.

Ernie

Try this Ernie. You will note there are no screw holes, I did not trust the CC to make them so I am going to lay the old plates on top and mark and drill with my Drill press. You can also oversize the cover as much as you like.

Gman_Ind
04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Why don't trust it to drill holes? It works actually mills them, in small steps.
You really should push your comfort zone. The machine is very capable.
I drill mine with the 1/8" cutting bit no problems.
I was going to make a joke about trusting banks and a backyard full of coffee cans but I am not going there. ;)
I say it is your machine use it how you want to but I try to encourage people to try new things, if it works you succeeded, if it doesn't you will have learned something, both events have value.

Semper Fi
04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks, that'll be perfect! I'll carve it this afternoon.

Ernie

forqnc
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Why don't trust it to drill holes? It works actually mills them, in small steps.
You really should push your comfort zone. The machine is very capable.
I drill mine with the 1/8" cutting bit no problems.
I was going to make a joke about trusting banks and a backyard full of coffee cans but I am not going there. ;)
I say it is your machine use it how you want to but I try to encourage people to try new things, if it works you succeeded, if it don't you will have learned something, both events have value.
I understand what your saying, it's just I haven't had a great deal of time to spend with the machine yet, and the friend I am doing them for has been waiting 2 months. I am not saying the machine cannot do it, just I am not comfortable with my level of experience yet. I would hate to screw up these covers, because I may have positioned a hole wrong.

Thanks, that'll be perfect! I'll carve it this afternoon.

Ernie
Let me know how it looks. You did notice the recess on the reverse of the board.

Semper Fi
04-05-2007, 04:35 PM
The cover came out great...... maybe a little bit 'roomy', but that was better than being too small. Thanks again!!!

Ernie

forqnc
04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
The cover came out great...... maybe a little bit 'roomy', but that was better than being too small. Thanks again!!!

Ernie

Pleased it worked, I am getting ready to carve mine. :cool:
It was probably 'roomy' due to the style I copied from for my friend.

MrUserfriendly
02-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I found some receptacle covers on the forum - but am still in search of some more. If anyone has any to share, please send them to me or post them.

Semper Fi
02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I found some receptacle covers on the forum - but am still in search of some more. If anyone has any to share, please send them to me or post them.

What are you looking for? This cover was a standard size and I just put some decorative carvings on the cover and then ran it through my drum sander to the depth I wanted. I used red oak, but any wood would work, I suppose.

Ernie

MrUserfriendly
02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I am inquiring if there might be some decorative carvings you have possibly collected or made since that time. For example, I have seen a posting with a very intricate wall switch - a small switch. My switches are larger switches. But, there may be out there a decorative cover plate for a single gang plug box similar to the decorative wall switch. I have only thought about this project for a relatively short time - but you have been heads up on this for a much longer time. I am hoping that you may have come accross more images of this kind. Thank you.

Semper Fi
02-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Try these. The problem I ran into was the recesses in the back of the covers needed to be carved for the plates to lay flat and allow the recepticles to come flush with the outer edge of the cover. I never did come up with a good way to do this and keep the decorative front intact. I suppose you could build a sled to carve both sides, but I didn't.

Hope this helps some,
Ernie

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Try these. The problem I ran into was the recesses in the back of the covers needed to be carved for the plates to lay flat and allow the recepticles to come flush with the outer edge of the cover. I never did come up with a good way to do this and keep the decorative front intact. I suppose you could build a sled to carve both sides, but I didn't.

Hope this helps some,
Ernie

Hi Ernie,

I too have made some outlet covers for my brother's house and found the same thing. My next idea is to scan the "back" of the various covers to get the right curved recesses (although I know just a rectangular carved region would do). Then, I'll put the backs on a board by themselves and carve them in "without" cutting them out of the board. Then in another project file "exact same size board" I'll put the details on them, flip the board over and carve them with all the cut outs needed.

I haven't been able to test this as I'm waiting for my new board sensor but I believe it should work out as planned. In the mean time, I'll try the scanning. Not sure but I think I can even without the sensor??

Chris

Semper Fi
02-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Chris, actually I scanned a commercial cover and then played with the size until I got it right. That was before 1.126. That is the "test back" one. I guess I should have renamed it, but I didn't get 'around to it'. Probably should carve some of those too. lol

Ernie

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Ernie,

I guess I should have actually looked at you MPC files as well...lol Will do so now....

Chris

lviele
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks but the software put tabs in to hold the center piece and I carve from a larger piece and allowed it to cut it out, 4 tabs are left to cut it free and it is soo neat. go ahead and try one, the carvings can be deleted and use your own design, next is figuring the back side relief cut, :)

woodworkers supply has a good list of freudbits including a 1/8 spirol bit for around $19

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I looked at page 1 and I posted some dumb stuff when I was just starting..... :)

AL