PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a hunger

MarkJamesDesign
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi all. This is only a test...and an introduction of a sort. My name is Jim and have been lurking in this forum for hours upon hours in the last few days trying to learn as much about this amazing machine as I can before I buy.

Unlike many of the users I have followed on these boards, I discovered this machine by accident while buy a new bedroom set for my daughter online at Sears. Looks like now I may be able to do a custom headboard for her.

I have been in the sign and tradeshow display biz for several years and have always dreamed of a CNC. Not for large projects, but for custom cut letters and others things that I design that are hard to fab or reproduce in quantity with my stationary router table. This carver looks to fill the bill. I have pretty strong knowledge of Corel and have been using since version 5 or 6. Now have 12 and upgradeing to X3 soon.

I have been doing some research and am wondering if anyone knows if the V-carve app. from Vectric can be of any use to CarveWright users. Just wondering. Anyway, I'm most likely going to purchase my machine from Sears online tomorrow evening. They show it in stock so I remain hopeful that I be creating shop chips soon. You appear to be a great bunch and I hope I can be of some contribution to this forum and this community as soon as possible.

Kenm810
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Jim,
Looking forward to sharing Info on projects with you soon as the chips start flying.

Charles M
03-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Jim,

If the VCARVE software will export a grayscale height map it can be used. The current Designer software will not import any formats other than GIF, PNG, BMP, etc. grayscales and the proprietary PTN format.

Gman_Ind
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
This is not a typical CNC program or machine. Your best bet is importing raster images not vector lines like you would a typical CNC mill.
would like to import simple DXF files.

Dan-Woodman
03-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Don't forget your craftman club discount.
and I understand if you order thru a store theres free shipping to the store.

MarkJamesDesign
03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't have a Craftsman Club card so no disc there, but %20 off any purchase over $299 saved me $389. Tool dept. Mgr said he would honor same disc offer the web had. My baby arrives Tues. 4/3. He also said he had a return on the floor. I asked what the prob was and he said the buyer admited to jamming it by cranking the rollers down to tight - broke a sandpaper belt. When I call back to complete my order I will ask if he got a replacement. Anyway, total before tax is $1519.99. Now I got money for lumber!!!

Dan-Woodman
03-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't see how you can crank it down too tight ---it has a clutch.
Might want to look into it , maybe he didn't know how to use it.

Cliff
03-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Dan
I have found that it is possible to crank it down to tight or have the rollers apply to much presure. Mine was the lack of lube behind the crank handle that did not allow the clutch to rachet properly. A little white grease and all was well.

rgant05
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
sorry, I am getting the thread a little off the subject, but Cliff..... what were the symptoms of being cranked to tightly? I'm not having any problems but like to learn how to recognize the symptoms to hopefull avoid the problems.

Roger

Tripod
03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the forums and hopefully.. you get your machine on time. I ordered mine on 03/03/07 and was told it would arrive in the store on 03/06/07 and should be able to pick it up on the 7th. The reciept even said these dates.. well.. I picked it up on the 16th or March.. they was only 10 days off... ;) ;)

John

Cliff
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
When the head hit bottom it did not rachet freely and the weight/scale test show the pressure over 80 lbs, mine hit 170 before I backed it off. I took the crank apart to investigate (keeping note of the parts and order (washers)) applied a little grease then reassembled and it read 81 lbs with easy rachet at the clutch.

loko
03-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Jim, Just to let you know that right now Sears web site has 20% off on their Compucarve $1504.99. Get it while the getting is good! Lou