PDA

View Full Version : New Board Sensor After Only A Month!?

Cgav34
05-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Well, so much for carving my dad's birthday gift...

Got my machine almost exactly a month ago from Rockler, and have only put 46 hours on the rotary motor. Machine gets a good cleaning after every project; but, yesterday I got a Clear Board Sensor error. I've cleaned the sensor with no success. Went through the troubleshooting guide, and ran through the Sensor Check in the Configuration Menu. Sensor is only showing 2-3 when over a board.

Surely the board sensor hasn't gone bad already!?

Got an email in with Carvewright...so we'll see.

henry1
05-29-2017, 06:51 AM
Well, so much for my dad's birthday gift...

Got my machine almost exactly a month ago from Rockler, and have only put 46 hours on the rotary motor. Machine gets a good cleaning after every project; but, yesterday I got a Clear Board Sensor error. I've cleaned the sensor with no success. Went through the troubleshooting guide, and ran through the Sensor Check in the Configuration Menu. Sensor is only showing 2-3 when over a board.

Surely the board sensor hasn't gone bad already!?

Got an email in with Carvewright...so we'll see.
wish you luck on getting a censor but hope your wood is not dark that would do it

Cgav34
05-29-2017, 07:10 AM
Most of my projects have been oak (un-finished), and I've never had a problem. Did the sensor test with a piece of oak and with a piece of pine...same result.

bergerud
05-29-2017, 08:19 AM
Look closely at the little window with a mirror. The sensor can get dust in it. A blast of compressed air can sometimes make a difference.

mtylerfl
05-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Yes, it's possible fine dust got inside (behind) the small plastic window. Did you try using a toothbrush to clean the sensor? If the dust has just coated the outside, brushing and a blast of air might be all that's needed.

Failing that, you can remove the sensor and replace the little plastic window. I've done it twice...once for one of my machines and once for a fellow CarveWright user who lives near me. It's very unlikely that the sensor has gone bad...it's probable just a dusty or cloudy window. (I have two machines over ten years old...never replaced a board sensor...just replaced the plastic window on one of them.)

After removing the sensor, pry it apart and take out the window. Cut a new one from similar clear plastic (the plastic batteries come in is what I used if I recall). Put your new window in and seal around the edges with a tiny bit of clear silicon using a toothpick to apply.

Allow the silicon to cure and reinstall the sensor. Be careful not to pinch any wires during reinstall.

That should do it.

mtylerfl
05-29-2017, 11:24 AM
If you're in a hurry to get the project done, take out the window, carve your project, clean the sensor thoroughly, then replace the window as soon as you have a chance.

Cgav34
05-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes, it's possible fine dust got inside (behind) the small plastic window.....

That was it!! Thanks for the tip.

Didn't think dust could get in there, but I guess I'll have to add that to my detailed cleaning list.

Thanks a bunch!!

mtylerfl
05-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Glad to know you found the problem. Bergerud (Dan) meant the same thing, I'm sure.

I should mention that cleaning the inside surface of the sensor window is not something I consider part of normal routine cleaning/maintenance. It is supposed to be sealed well enough not to have to worry about it (cleaning/brushing the external surface of the window should be done as routine, though).

Having said that, fine dust can find a way to get in there at times, as you have discovered. But, now you know if you can't get rid of the sensor error by cleaning the external surface, it's the interior that is the culprit.

SteveNelson46
05-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Also, use only low pressure air when cleaning the machine (10 to 20 lbs.). Most of the board sensors that I have replaced was due to high pressure air forcing dust behind the sensor window.

Digitalwoodshop
05-29-2017, 02:31 PM
For troubleshooting the standard is to place a piece of white copy paper on the board and crank the head down and move the head over. A 156 is perfect. A 90 is a dirty window.

I use a knife blade to slice down the back of the sensor when it is out then easily slide the window out for cleaning. I seal everything back up with masking tape catching the edge of the window. Takes the color of the wood out of the confusion.

Remember that the Board Sensor data goes through the flat FFC Cable. So with the white paper test move the head looking for a open wire in the FFC Cable.

When you change the board sensor watch you don't pull the cable down too hard as it can slip along side the plastic track cover and PINCH and SHORT to ground. Don't know if the newer machines have changed that so the wire cannot pinch.

Second thing to watch is to not rip off the small surface mount components especially the one under the white plug. All components are marked with silk screen white rectangles. Ripping one off makes for very low readings.

In the old days the 2 LED's would snap off because the circuit boards were not glued to the black holder.

:) AL

DickB
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Are you using a dust collector?

Cgav34
05-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Are you using a dust collector?

I am...the Carvewright one, paired with a 13 gal., 1hp Harbor Freight Dust Collector, and about 6LF of 4" hose.

While I don't have anything to compare it to, I'm not too happy with the setup. Not sure if the dust collector is under-powered, or if the CW DC hood is just not working. Always leaves a lot of sawdust on the piece. Here is what the Navy Aviator Pilot wings look like, 1" oak, after running through the machine:

mtylerfl
05-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Seems to me the Harbor Freight 1hp and the CW dust hood would be fine, but your photo does seem to indicate a lot of dust left behind. I'm pretty sure our fellow CW user and friend Robert Dages is using the Harbor Freight 1hp unit with success (I don't know which dust hood he's currently using, or if it would make any big difference anyway).

I have the larger 2hp Harbor Freight unit (highly modified with a homemade Thein baffle). Leaves the CW machine virtually dust-free. I'm using Floyd's Ringneck Blues dust hood attachment and haven't tried anything else.

Check to see if you have any significant "leakage" somewhere along the route from the hood to the bag. Do you have many "turns" in the hose that might be reducing collection effectiveness?

DickB
05-30-2017, 10:27 PM
The reason that I asked about dust collection is that it can help keep parts of the machine such as the board sensor clear. With a functioning dust collector I would not expect the board sensor to be affected by sawdust in so few hours. I have hundreds of hours on mine with no issues.

In your photo,what type of wood did you carve? I have a home-made dust hood similar in function to yours with a Harbor Freight 1 hp collector. It does not pick up all of the sawdust, but the only time I get carvings packed with sawdust like your photo is when I carve MDF. I would not be too concerned if all of the course sawdust is not being picked up. I believe it is the very fine dust that gets into sensors and can cause problems. My setup does a good job of collecting the fine dust, and yours should as well.

Cgav34
05-31-2017, 07:14 AM
Check to see if you have any significant "leakage" somewhere along the route from the hood to the bag. Do you have many "turns" in the hose that might be reducing collection effectiveness?

It's a straight, 6' shot from the hood to the DC...no bends in the hose.

fwharris
05-31-2017, 09:45 AM
How full is the dust bag on the dust collector?

FWMiller
05-31-2017, 09:55 AM
I use a craftsman shop vac and have very little dust left overa long as the filter is clean. Seems like you may have an air flow issue. I have found that my board sensor can sometimes be finicky too though. Usually blowing it out with compressed air takes care of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Canemaker
05-31-2017, 04:26 PM
I have tried using the harbor freight dust collector only to find the same result. After removing the dust collector bag from the dust collector, fine dust clogged the intake and I was getting no suction.
changed to a delta 1hp with no problems.