PDA

View Full Version : sorry for being an idiot

temler
03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I am new here and I have been reading this for two weeks now.and can't find what I want to be able to do. I know it here some where. Please help. Here is what I want to be able to do or a least find a book or place that will show me how to do this and look good. I am trying to take a picture of my llama and then take out the background I figured out how to do that. But can't figure out how to make it look 3-d get some depth to it. I now AutoCad, I have adobe cs Have on used it a little. Going to get corel if I have to. I just want to turn llama pictures in to engraving. I don't think of myself as this much of an idiot but I can't figure it out. I found a place they will take my jpeg and turn it into a 3-d ptn for only $180.00 but I don't have that kind of extra money right now. Does anyone know of a good place to find information out on how to do this. Or can any of you give me any ideas on where to start.
Thanks
Tim

CallNeg151
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I am new here and I have been reading this for two weeks now.and can't find what I want to be able to do. I know it here some where. Please help. Here is what I want to be able to do or a least find a book or place that will show me how to do this and look good. I am trying to take a picture of my llama and then take out the background I figured out how to do that. But can't figure out how to make it look 3-d get some depth to it. I now AutoCad, I have adobe cs Have on used it a little. Going to get corel if I have to. I just want to turn llama pictures in to engraving. I don't think of myself as this much of an idiot but I can't figure it out. I found a place they will take my jpeg and turn it into a 3-d ptn for only $180.00 but I don't have that kind of extra money right now. Does anyone know of a good place to find information out on how to do this. Or can any of you give me any ideas on where to start.
Thanks
Tim

Actually, this is one of the longest running discussions in this forum. The CW software converts the grey-scale value of a pixel into a depth of cut, with 0 (black) being the least deep, and 255 (white) being the deepest.

If you are really good at AutoCad, you can create a 3d model, and export a grey bump map file, which can be imported. Otherwise, you can import your photo into your favorite vector drawing program, trace it, and then build up layers of grey, until you get the desired end result. Either way, it is not easy, and takes a lot of patience.

A good starting point is the tutorial at www.allcw.com

Good luck!

Cliff
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Put the picture up on the forum, you never know what you may end up with, could be suggestions, lesons, or even a working copy. There is a great group of members here to work with.

temler
03-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Put the picture up on the forum, you never know what you may end up with, could be suggestions, lesons, or even a working copy. There is a great group of members here to work with.

thanks for the help.
Once I see something done, most of the time I can figure out how to do it again.
I learn more from seeing it being done then reading.
Here is the link to the picture i am trying to do. http://www.mychewybear.com/one.jpg

This is what I have started to do with it. But i think I am heading down the wrong path
http://www.mychewybear.com/two.jpg

Here is two other photos. Let me know if one of these would make a better engraving. I just need to see it done once.
http://www.mychewybear.com/three.jpg

http://www.mychewybear.com/four.jpg

Just need some pointer on what program to use or get. I do know AutoCad a little. I have adobe CS (don't know how to use it very well yet.) If there is a better program out there that I should use let me know.
I am trying to make the awards for a friends llama show. It will be the prize for grand champion Llama.
Thank you so much.

temler
03-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Actually, this is one of the longest running discussions in this forum. The CW software converts the grey-scale value of a pixel into a depth of cut, with 0 (black) being the least deep, and 255 (white) being the deepest.

If you are really good at AutoCad, you can create a 3d model, and export a grey bump map file, which can be imported. Otherwise, you can import your photo into your favorite vector drawing program, trace it, and then build up layers of grey, until you get the desired end result. Either way, it is not easy, and takes a lot of patience.

A good starting point is the tutorial at www.allcw.com

Good luck!

I would like to see one of the drawings just to see how and what you mean by building up layers of gray. I got the patience just not the know how.
I would like to see the drawing or picture before it is imported in. I can see a lot patterns already done but nothing showing the middle stage.
Thanks for any help I can get

My second problem now is i can't get the Free Tutorials on the allcw site to work. I can hear the voice but no picture on media player.

Thanks
Tim

Jon Jantz
03-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Tim, you need to run the TSCC video codec... there is a link from the tutorial pages... or you can just click this...

http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp