PDA

View Full Version : EUCHER game score keeper

JoeinWestMich
05-01-2017, 04:42 PM
SPOILER ALERT - I KNOW EUCHER IS SPELLED INCORRECTLY
I carved this Euchre case in April 2014. Then had emergency heart valve replacement, then joint replacement, finalized with a pacemaker but now getting back to wood working and CNC. The files for this were given to me and are open source so to speak. I was told I could use it for personal and commercial use PLUS share with it with whomever I want. Back then a lot more sharing of files was going on. This was done in early 2014 so the basic Designer, which all of you have, should allow to modify and carve.
I am attaching pics of my carve. Still a little polishing up to do with the painting but decided to share now.
Euchre was spelled wrong but not only did I not catch but all of those who looked at it before sanding did not catch it either. Grandkids loved it though and said it would be unique. You should be able to change that easily.
A couple of changes to consider: I was very new to Carvewright back then and did not add hinge mortises to the design. So my hinges are external. You might consider adding the mortise to your design. I also used an external clasp which I like because it is both very secure and very easy to open for both kids and seniors. However, some of you might want to carve out spaced for magnets.
The top is a TWO-SIDED carve; the bottom a singe-sided carve. As noted I did not make the original design - say a prayer-thank you for the Carvaholic who shared the files.
Joe
Note: Not shown in the pictures are the 4 cribbage board pegs and deck of cards that I gave with the case.

SteveNelson46
05-01-2017, 07:24 PM
This was one of my projects and Joe is correct. You may use it as you wish. In fact, that also goes for anything that I post here on this forum or on any other open public site. Here is the top with the correct spelling.

dbemus
05-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you Joein and Steve for your generosity! That is a beautiful creation. Looking forward to carving one within a few days. It will go to my summer home for many enjoyable evenings!

astrouse
11-23-2020, 06:16 PM
I get a Y axis error... the bit actually comes of the board on the side closest to the digital controls. I also get this error when I upload it. A screen shot is attached.

How do I handle this? Thanks for the help...

fwharris
11-23-2020, 06:28 PM
I get a Y axis error... the bit actually comes of the board on the side closest to the digital controls. I also get this error when I upload it. A screen shot is attached.

How do I handle this? Thanks for the help...

That upload message in not an error. It is just a warning about how you have placed different carving actions on your board.

The "wide cuts across the board" is telling you that without enough board surface on the edges of the board to hold the compression rollers up the rollers will drop down and possible stop or make your carving go bad.

The "cut through on the top edge of the board" is telling you the cut path might be to close to the top edge and to prevent it cutting through and hitting the brass tracking roller the cut will not be done at that point. Normally you should keep all cut path at least 1/2" in from the edge of the board.

The "cut through at the left edge" is telling you that if you are not following the 7" rule for keeping the board under the rollers at all times there is a chance the board could tip up and break the bit.

With out seeing your project and knowing how you are setting up the board to be carved it is hard to give any direction. BUT to make sure you do not have any issues you should either use a sled/jig or a board that is at least 7 inches longer and at least 1/2" wider for the carving.

CarverJerry
12-03-2020, 06:39 PM
What are the 4 holes at the edge for? I carved this, took a few tries because of errors but finally got it to carve. I carved the one that has the raster letters but I lowered them to 50 and it came out good. The one thing I noticed with Steves tops is one is letters in raster and one in centerline. Also the back side of the centerline isn't as deep as the other. I noticed the holes didn't go all the way thru to the cavity. Thanks all.

fwharris
12-04-2020, 10:14 AM
What are the 4 holes at the edge for? I carved this, took a few tries because of errors but finally got it to carve. I carved the one that has the raster letters but I lowered them to 50 and it came out good. The one thing I noticed with Steves tops is one is letters in raster and one in centerline. Also the back side of the centerline isn't as deep as the other. I noticed the holes didn't go all the way thru to the cavity. Thanks all.

I believe the holes are for the pegs at the start of the game.

MechKelly
03-07-2021, 03:12 PM
Hey I know this thread is a little old but my family loves Euchre and I'd like to make this for them. I'm only running the basic version of Designer right now and it has a couple of features which won't allow me to upload it. Is there some type of add on I need to purchase for this?

henry1
03-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Hey I know this thread is a little old but my family loves Euchre and I'd like to make this for them. I'm only running the basic version of Designer right now and it has a couple of features which won't allow me to upload it. Is there some type of add on I need to purchase for this?
here you go

oscarl48
03-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Henry, nice.

MechKelly
03-08-2021, 07:24 PM
here you go

Thank you but it looks like it's still coming up with a similar issue.

Dale
03-08-2021, 08:32 PM
The numbers are done using Centerline Text. Do you have that add on?

want2b
03-09-2021, 05:22 AM
The error message is saying you need both Centerline and Conforming Vectors which are both additional features available at the Carvewright Store.
https://www.carvewright.com/add-on-modules/

henry1
03-09-2021, 09:08 AM
Henry, nice.

thank you much your the man

MechKelly
03-09-2021, 07:25 PM
The numbers are done using Centerline Text. Do you have that add on?

The original post said that the project was done using Designer Basic which is what I'm using as well. No add ons. Were there tools that were once originally available in Basic that have been made add ons now?

want2b
03-10-2021, 05:29 AM
Centerline and Conforming Vectors have always been add ons. My guess would be the person posting was indicating that they had accomplished the design without the advanced tools such as Pattern Editing, Pattern Sculpting, 3D sculpting, or other party software. Only the creator can answer for sure, just a guess. Additional info, to use Centerline you will also need a 90 degree V bit and/or a 60 degree to make the cuts.
Rick H