PDA

View Full Version : First Communion Present

Bigtyme
04-18-2017, 08:40 AM
It has been a while since I posted anything. Not because I haven't carved anything, but have been super busy in our shop in town. Seems like after the first of the year, the place has gone a little crazy. I guess that's good but fishing season is about on us and I hope to wet a line every now again. I just finished this box for a local customer. She had one given to her when she had her first communion and wanted to have one for her grandson who is about to have his first communion. I used her's as a a base for dimensions and found a couple of nice patterns in the pattern depot. I really like how the CW carved this. I think I am going to make a few with out the top carved for my retail area. Could be a nice keepsake. The body is 6 1/2" by 3" by 1" thick and the top is 1/2" thick. Since it is for a young lad, I didn't round over the edges much, but I believe it would look good with perhaps an 1/8" round over on all edges for a young lady. Fun project and really happy with how it carved...

myshop1044
04-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Very good quality and finish, I like simple and soft.

normrichards
04-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Really nice, I like the use of the barrel hinges.

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Excellent Project... almost a fly fishing box... :)

Bigtyme
04-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Thanks all for the very nice comments. Al, I never thought about the fly box angle, but you are right...it would be very compact and I could easily add a magnet to keep it closed...thanks for the suggestion !!

dbemus
04-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Very attractive box1 I am sure it will be a treasured keepsake!

rcdages
04-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Very nice job !!!!

Bigtyme
04-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Thank you, Robert and dbemus...appreciate the good words. My customer picked up the box yesterday and was thrilled with it. The good news for me is that she has 2 other grandchildren who will also be going through their first communion in the next couple of years and wants one for each of them as well. I really like repeat business :) ...