PDA

View Full Version : April 2017 project of the Month - Sliced Apple Box!

mtylerfl
04-07-2017, 09:22 PM
​Hello,

This project features offset segmented construction to yield a cute Sliced Apple Box! The wood used for the sample is Select Pine and the paint is applied to allow a hint of the wood grain to show through.

The alternating green and red slices gives the appearance of Granny Smith and Red Delicious apple slices stacked together.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The finished dimensions are about 5" diameter x 5.5" tall, including stem.

Main Items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):

• Apple_Slice_123.mpc
• Apple_Slice_456.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

Slice 123: 0.75" x 7" x 30"
Slice 456: 0.75" x 7" x 25"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) 0.125" dia. x 7" wood dowel

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, quick-set epoxy, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details. A spindle sander and small belt sander is also recommended to speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here's what I used on my Sliced Apple Box made from Select Pine:

• Red and Light Green Acrylic Craft Paint
• Cherry Stain for the stem
• Krylon Clear Acrylic Spray

henry1
04-08-2017, 08:20 AM
When will it be in the carve wright project so I can buy it

dbemus
04-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Makes me hungry just looking at it! Another unique project Michael!! Thank you!

oscarl48
04-08-2017, 09:17 PM
super creative as always. Great looking project. - O

mtylerfl
04-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Thank you very much!

By the way, the project was based upon a REAL apple! I chose one from a bag of apples in our fridge, then scanned it with the NextEngine laser scanner to yield a digital version for slicing!

dbemus
04-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Awesome!! A possible demo at the Conference???

rcdages
04-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Very cool Apple.

Always great POM from you Sir !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DianMayfield
04-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Michael,

Do these align to make a smooth apple (hate to presume :))? I offered to make them for my preschool grand daughters teachers, and my daughter thought they would make a great "stacking" game for the class. Thought I would make it larger and use the stem as the center stick.

mtylerfl
04-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Michael,

Do these align to make a smooth apple (hate to presume :))? I offered to make them for my preschool grand daughters teachers, and my daughter thought they would make a great "stacking" game for the class. Thought I would make it larger and use the stem as the center stick.

If the slices are aligned on the outside, then the interior would be offset in a rather wacky way!

For just a stacking game, you can delete the drill holes and the center circles. Then manually drill a hole through the center of the apple slices taped together (aligned). That's a great idea your daughter came up with!