PDA

View Full Version : Heat question

Randy in Minn
03-25-2007, 08:34 PM
It was time to lub my shaft so I sprayed it with the Moly lube Carvewright recommends. This was the 2nd or 3rd time I have lubed it this way. I soak/spray it and let it dry overnight before inserting the cable into the shaft housing. The main truck assembly though today got uncomfortable to the touch. I make sure the flex shaft is properly inserted in the motor end and the carving/truck end before I insert the steel ball and slid its keeper over it.
In the past this truck has been warm but never this warm. Any ideas why? I DID notice this time that the little square brass piece on truck end piece of the cable as loose. I can not tighten it be squeezing it onto the shaft. Does it matter where on the end of the shaft that goes? it wants to ride up to where the shaft chages form swuare to round. Is the shaft going in too deep? I also noticed that the silver part of the cable sheath that connects to the truck assembly is a little loose. Instead of sitting perpendicular to the truck it is at maybe 85 degrees. Anyone elses like that? The ball and keeper are tight though. Thoughts or suggestions?

pkunk
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
It was time to lub my shaft so I sprayed it with the Moly lube Carvewright recommends. This was the 2nd or 3rd time I have lubed it this way. I soak/spray it and let it dry overnight before inserting the cable into the shaft housing. The main truck assembly though today got uncomfortable to the touch. I make sure the flex shaft is properly inserted in the motor end and the carving/truck end before I insert the steel ball and slid its keeper over it.
In the past this truck has been warm but never this warm. Any ideas why? I DID notice this time that the little square brass piece on truck end piece of the cable as loose. I can not tighten it be squeezing it onto the shaft. Does it matter where on the end of the shaft that goes? it wants to ride up to where the shaft chages form swuare to round. Is the shaft going in too deep? I also noticed that the silver part of the cable sheath that connects to the truck assembly is a little loose. Instead of sitting perpendicular to the truck it is at maybe 85 degrees. Anyone elses like that? The ball and keeper are tight though. Thoughts or suggestions?
I went from 1 brass shim to 2, & ultimately they started getting eaten up by the cut head. They would just dissapear. Their purpose is to keep the shaft pushed into the motor. Your's is getting worn. CW replaced mine with a whole new updated assembly which included the motor/sensor(problematic)/inner & outer cable & cut head cap.

Gman_Ind
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Are the newer models built different? is this brass shim issue 'fixed' on the newer shipments? Mine (#2) is still on a truck somewhere.

Randy in Minn
03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I took apart the truck and found that the outer bearing race was slipping. This is what what was causing the heat. So I emailed Carvewright. They are taking care of the problem. Awsome customer service!