PDA

View Full Version : Z truck not lowering bit to board during the pattern - Help, please!

vltrnjd
04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Mr. F.W. Harris found the fix! Reformatting the card and reloading the file worked. THANK-YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

Hey! I love my carvewright. I have an older machine - rev B. Have been trying to troubleshoot a problem and I am stuck. I tried searching troubleshooting and the forum but I do not find this problem. The bit turns but does not descend to carve the pattern. The z truck moves easily up and down and can be lowered by hand to the lowest position. It does not hit the strike plate or the board when finding the bit or finding the board. It does move the truck up and down during those operations. During the carving process the tip of the bit stays even with the bottom of the board sensor. I called and went through re-calibration. That did not fix the problem. I took the top off and made sure the cable connections were clean and tight. What board or cable may need replacement - or would I need to replace the whole z truck? I do not have a spindle attached. I use Pro 3 Design. Everything else is working properly. I have a project pending that I need to get done. Ideas or fixes? Thanks!

fwharris
04-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Run the axis test, 0,8 , from the key pad to see if moves up and down. Also try reformatting the card and re load your project.

Digitalwoodshop
04-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Likely a FSC Cable has gone bad. The 14 pin cable that supplies the power and signals to the Z.

AL

SteveNelson46
04-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Hey! I love my carvewright. I have an older machine - rev B. Have been trying to troubleshoot a problem and I am stuck. I tried searching troubleshooting and the forum but I do not find this problem. The bit turns but does not descend to carve the pattern. The z truck moves easily up and down and can be lowered by hand to the lowest position. It does not hit the strike plate or the board when finding the bit or finding the board. It does move the truck up and down during those operations. During the carving process the tip of the bit stays even with the bottom of the board sensor. I called and went through re-calibration. That did not fix the problem. I took the top off and made sure the cable connections were clean and tight. What board or cable may need replacement - or would I need to replace the whole z truck? I do not have a spindle attached. I use Pro 3 Design. Everything else is working properly. I have a project pending that I need to get done. Ideas or fixes? Thanks!

Are you using stop collars?. The bit has to be inserted within a specific range from the spindle. Using a stop collar will insure that you are inserting the bit within that range and that it is inserted to the same depth each time.

vltrnjd
04-03-2017, 03:43 PM
The axis test is done - it did move up and down. A= 52.6 M=118.37 - no error code so I am guessing the numbers are fine. I will try the card issue next.

vltrnjd
04-03-2017, 04:11 PM
You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Reformatting the card and reloading the file did it! It is carving as we speak! Thank-you so very much!

fwharris
04-03-2017, 04:51 PM
You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Reformatting the card and reloading the file did it! It is carving as we speak! Thank-you so very much!

Great, my WAG was correct. ;)