PDA

View Full Version : Old QC chuck stuck

dr01allen
03-28-2017, 07:35 PM
I have an old machine with a QC chuck that I'm trying to get up and running after sitting for a couple of years.
Everything seems to work OK except the QC chuck. It's stuck.
It turns and cuts fine but the bit won't release. I try to pull up on the retaining ring and nothing happens. I've even tried using a Crescent wrench set to just smaller than the diameter of the ring and propped up with a block for leverage. No luck.
It's been sprayed with WD40 in every crack, no luck.

Any suggestions?

fwharris
03-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Try working/snapping the retaining ring up and down several times in a row and wiggling the bit and adapter back and forth after snapping the ring. It might take several attempts. Do you still have the bit removal tool?

dr01allen
03-28-2017, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;264361]Try working/snapping the retaining ring up and down several times in a row and wiggling the bit and adapter back and forth after snapping the ring. It might take several attempts. Do you still have the bit removal tool?[/Q

The retaining ring won't move, that's what's stuck.

fwharris
03-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Large pliers to see if you can twist/turn the retaining ring on direction or the other. You will probably need to hold the bit adapter with another pair of pliers. It sounds like maybe one of the set screws on the bit adapter might of loosened up and backed out.

bergerud
03-29-2017, 12:07 AM
It would be good to have a wrench to fit the top of the chuck. It would help in the twisting. If all else fails, you can pull the plastic cover down off of the chuck and get access to the allen screws inside.

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2017, 12:19 PM
The outside cover of the QC might be stuck in the UP position. Try tapping on the top edge with a screwdriver blade and a thumping tool.

Next tap around the outside while turning.

Next get a deep socket and place it over the bit and up against the bit holder from under the truck. Tap it, forcing the bit up into the QC without damaging the end of the bit.

AL

mtylerfl
03-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Put a bunch of towels inside the machine under the QC. Spray/flood the heck in every crevice of the QC with WD-40. Let it sit for an hour or so. Try wriggling, popping, etc. again. If the bit doesn't release, flood some more, wait some more, and try again. It will eventually release.

Then, save your money and upgrade to the CarveTight chuck when budget permits. ;)

bergerud
03-29-2017, 01:39 PM
As you can see from all of the "old timer" comments; we have all been there done that!

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Once you get the bit out, you will likely find BB Marks where the QC has Jack Hammered the BB Marks into the Bit Holders.

Many of us have old QC's and even some new ones laying around. The trick to replacing the QC is using the proper heat to melt the forever RED Lock tite. I found the best heat source was a old Soldering Iron inserted into the QC. I have snapped a few hardened square drive bits too trying to get a bad QC off. And have damaged a few beyond repair. IF LHR offers a core refund on a QC Truck when you buy a CarveTite that would be the way to go.

If you insert a new bit holder in a worn QC it will get BB Marks in as little as one project. SO we all learned that once you get BB Marks you must change the QC and all bit holders. Putting a BB Mark bit holder in a new QC will cause the new QC to become BAD due to the High Speed "Flopping Around" of the bad Bit holder.

Good Luck getting it out. All Old Timers have had to deal with this.... CarveTite is the best answer. I once had the QC Spit out a V60 bit that hit the clear cover shutting off the carving by opening the cover slightly. I went with the ROCK that was the first aftermarket Chuck that is no longer being made.

AL

kzushma
04-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Going to chime in here because I am having the same issue.
I had a carve go wrong without any error messages. I had difficulty getting the bit out of the QC chuck.
I noticed the "BB" marks on the sides of the bit holder.
What causes this? Is there something that can be done to prolong the life?
Am I to understand that once this happens, the damage is done and you need to replace the chuck?
Does Carvewright even sell the QC anymore?
Kind of stinks as I have an entire set of bits with the QC holders.

normrichards
04-18-2017, 06:56 PM
When the bb marks happen you have to replace the holder and the chuck. You can still buy just the head of the chuck on ebay link below.

Much cheaper than replacing with the carvetight but when you can afford it I would change to carvetight. All your bits with QC holders can be moved over. The decorator bits that are half inch shank just need to have the QC holder removed. The rest need a CT adapter which you can buy from LHR or you can go to amazon and just get a whiteside 1/2 to 1/4 split adapter. That is what I use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-COMPUCARVE-QUICK-CHANGE-CHUCK-CARVEWRIGHT-/311615825741?hash=item488dc0274d:m:mO3RJ6LevowCZus wVk_PCeA

bergerud
04-18-2017, 09:18 PM
I remember the BB marks indicating that the adapter was ruined but not necessarily the chuck.

normrichards
04-19-2017, 12:41 PM
I remember the BB marks indicating that the adapter was ruined but not necessarily the chuck.

I thought someone on here "AL" ? told me to replace the chuck. I have since changed to carvetite so I am not sure.

bergerud
04-19-2017, 01:01 PM
I guess it depends on how severe the malfunction was. I had cases where there were BB marks in the adapter but the taper in the chuck was not damaged and it was still fine. On the other hand, we have seen cases where the adapter becoming loose has destroyed the taper in the chuck.

One just has to test how well a good adapter fits in the chuck. I always pulled the chuck down to make sure the adapter was held tight.

(My problems with the QC were mostly about balance and vibration.)

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2017, 03:03 PM
The first poster has not returned in 3 weeks and before that it was years... We may have lost one here... Giving up on the machine....

Like I posted above, the most economical fix is going to a CarveTite. Mostly because it ends the vibration problem and ends bit holder failures. Plus getting a new QC on eBay is cheap but getting the OLD QC off the machine.... That is the hard part.. with the Forever Red Loctite... A Soldering Iron for heat is the best option but even at that I have had Snapped square drive bits and made the Z Truck Trash...

bergerud
04-19-2017, 03:15 PM
The first poster has not returned in 3 weeks and before that it was years...

Good point. I guess we are just talking to ourselves!!

normrichards
04-20-2017, 12:26 AM
I was responding to kzushma (https://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?19995-kzushma) who just posted a day ago.

kzushma
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm still here...just haven't been able to follow up. I do appreciate the info.