PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 straight bit flute length, sorry it's sunday

Ted
03-25-2007, 05:13 PM
sorry to post this. it's sunday and I just broke the 1/8 cut off bit, anyone know the length of the flutes, hoping to get going on this now and from what I'm seeing at homedepot online, there's are 1/2 flute length

pkunk
03-25-2007, 05:23 PM
I have an 1/8" x 1/2" cutlength upcut spiral that I've used. Just don't try to cut through a 3/4" board. The bit is considerabley stronger than the CW bit w/ a 1" cutlength.

Ted
03-26-2007, 05:38 AM
i do appreciate the quick answers I receive, thanks Guys.

Now another question on BIT REMOVAL, since the allen screws have been lock-tite'd in, anyone know of an easy way to get the screws loose without stripping them out?
Seems to me that if you mess the screws up, like "vise grip removal" that they may not fit into the quick release mechanism properly and then I would be searching for the exact size allen set screws.

As for the FAQ, seems everything I enter into the search comes out no results, so if this has been asked before I haven't seen it.
Thanks, Ted

nodwell
03-26-2007, 06:02 AM
Ted
I remember seeing a post a while back that said you could remove broken bit by heating the holder.

Don

Kenm810
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
A hot air gun or hair drier will break down the Lock-tite, and
remember to use new Thread-locker on the screws while reassembling

meat
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
i do appreciate the quick answers I receive, thanks Guys.

Now another question on BIT REMOVAL, since the allen screws have been lock-tite'd in, anyone know of an easy way to get the screws loose without stripping them out?
Seems to me that if you mess the screws up, like "vise grip removal" that they may not fit into the quick release mechanism properly and then I would be searching for the exact size allen set screws.

As for the FAQ, seems everything I enter into the search comes out no results, so if this has been asked before I haven't seen it.
Thanks, Ted

You might want to check to make sure the bit is locktite'd in; neither the cutting bit nor the carving bit that came with my machine had locktite. My bits must have been either a Monday morning or Friday afternoon assembly...

Your pal,
Meat.

RC Woodworks
03-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Ted, if you like I have extra cutting bits I will send you one if you like? Just PM your address and I will mail out one to you.

Rick

Ted
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the offer RC, but I already ordered one from CW, she said she believes they have those in stock...fingers crossed here. I ran out to the local homedepot and even Grainger for a 1/2 flute length but no luck with a 1/8 bit, seems those are difficult to find locally.

RC Woodworks
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Ted just let me know I can have one out today no cost and I bet you will get the one I send first! Hey try www.pricecutter.com I buy most of my bits from them

Gman_Ind
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
You can use the shorter ones from hardware store/home center and the machine will compensate for the shorter length but remember as Pkunk stated it will only cut the 1/2" deep.

Dan-Woodman
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
or if you have a Woodcraft near you, they should have the 1/2" length.