PDA

View Full Version : UPS power supply

Navigator
03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I am wondering how many users have their CW/CC plugged into a UPS power supply similar to those for computers? I bought a large 1300va/750 watt power supply the same day I picked up my machine. (I calculated that the CW would draw about 880 va). My reasoning is that the flash card is simply uploading a "print" program to the onboard controller and that any power funnies would corrupt the memory. I am running the upgrade of 1.120 and have had none of the errors that many others have reported here. The CW may or may not be sensitive to power fluctuations but at least I will know power is not one of the problems. My business relies on compters so I have a UPS on every system. You can hear their alarms going off all day long so I know I have iffy power.

pkunk
03-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I am wondering how many users have their CW/CC plugged into a UPS power supply similar to those for computers? I bought a large 1300va/750 watt power supply the same day I picked up my machine. (I calculated that the CW would draw about 880 va). My reasoning is that the flash card is simply uploading a "print" program to the onboard controller and that any power funnies would corrupt the memory. I am running the upgrade of 1.120 and have had none of the errors that many others have reported here. The CW may or may not be sensitive to power fluctuations but at least I will know power is not one of the problems. My business relies on compters so I have a UPS on every system. You can hear their alarms going off all day long so I know I have iffy power.

Well, it's probably a good idea for those with iffy power, but I've been running mine for a year in a shop in the sticks full of 3 & 5 hp. machines going on & off all day and you can see the lights dim sometimes. No problems with the CW that were power related that I could see.

Gman_Ind
03-26-2007, 01:55 PM
You know you have iffy power, there is an option to turn the alarms off on most of the UPS systems. My wife banned mine from the house, she hated the beeping.

Navigator
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I know my power is provided by hamsters so there was never a question about using a UPS and, although annoying, the alarms do let me know what's going on. I guess my post was more directed at getting folks to think about this issue as maybe a possible source of some of their errors.