PDA

View Full Version : Errors, Errors, oh my!

djarboe
03-21-2017, 02:08 PM
I started to do my carving this morning. My board is 1/2" thick, with rails stuck on the sides (well actually, my calipers measure it at 0.503").

When I first started it, it started to measure the board, and stopped, telling me to clear the board sensor. So, I took a can of compressed air and blew off the optical sensor underneath. That worked, and I proceeded.

It measured the board, homed the bit, and went over and touched the flapper. It started to measure the thickness. It gave me a Z-axis stall error E06-0313. I retried it again, and noticed it was actually driving the bit down on the bar assembly on the sliding guide.

So, I checked the rollers, all working fine, and moved the head back and forth and up/down. Felt ok. Just as a precaution, I vacuumed out the nooks and crannies, etc... everywhere I could reach.

So I restarted the process again, and now have a persistent board sensor error. I blew it off again - no luck. I tried scrubbing the sensor with a toothbrush and blowing it off - no luck.

So now I am dead in the water so to speak, and not sure what to try now... for either error.

I need some help here, in terms that an amateur like me can fathom.

rmock
03-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Possible fcc cable problem, had a machine last week giving me multiple problems / errors. after some trial and error found out it was the fcc cable. Also wanted to add this link to the trouble shooting guide
http://support.carvewright.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/CW_CNC_Learning_Guide_Chapter_10.pdf

djarboe
03-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Possible fcc cable problem, had a machine last week giving me multiple problems / errors. after some trial and error found out it was the fcc cable. Also wanted to add this link to the trouble shooting guide
http://support.carvewright.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/CW_CNC_Learning_Guide_Chapter_10.pdf

Thanks for the link. Pretty detailed and involved, so it will take me some time to sort through it. What is the fcc cable, how did you fix it, and how much did a new one cost?

rmock
03-21-2017, 03:36 PM
You have to remove the cover to get to it. here is a link
https://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_lacing_FFC_cable.pdf
Also, if your machine is still under warranty call tech support before trying any fixes.

bergerud
03-21-2017, 04:44 PM
You could run some self tests first. Sensor and axis tests. For example, move the y truck while looking at board sensor readings.

djarboe
03-22-2017, 11:05 AM
You could run some self tests first. Sensor and axis tests. For example, move the y truck while looking at board sensor readings.

How do I get the machine to show me this? It seems strange that it could find the Y-axis edge before I vacuumed it out really good.

Of course, then I also have the Z axis stall problem, E06-0313.

bergerud
03-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Sensor check: press 0 - 7 on the keypad and use the arrows to scroll through the things you can check. The theory here is that the flat ribbon wire that connects the carriage to the machine has a problem. Either a poor connection or a broken wire. While looking at the board sensor readings on the display, move the carriage back and forth. (Put a wide board in the machine for the sensor to sense.) If the readings jump to 0, it indicates that the ribbon wire may be the problem.

djarboe
03-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Sensor check: press 0 - 7 on the keypad and use the arrows to scroll through the things you can check. The theory here is that the flat ribbon wire that connects the carriage to the machine has a problem. Either a poor connection or a broken wire. While looking at the board sensor readings on the display, move the carriage back and forth. (Put a wide board in the machine for the sensor to sense.) If the readings jump to 0, it indicates that the ribbon wire may be the problem.

Well, I did this. On the far left (homing side), it reads 0. Then as I moved the head over the board, it read between about 135 to 155, depending on the grain. Then, once it reached the edge of the board, it read 0 again.

bergerud
03-22-2017, 01:31 PM
That is what it is supposed to do. Gently wiggle the flat ribbon around and see if that makes the numbers jump. If it does not, I think you have eliminated the flat ribbon as the problem.

Another cause of the z stall you had is if the bit has drilled a hole in the touch point by the brass roller. Look there and see if there is a hole.

djarboe
03-22-2017, 02:11 PM
That is what it is supposed to do. Gently wiggle the flat ribbon around and see if that makes the numbers jump. If it does not, I think you have eliminated the flat ribbon as the problem.

Another cause of the z stall you had is if the bit has drilled a hole in the touch point by the brass roller. Look there and see if there is a hole.

Well, this is interesting, so bear with me. I think I made a rookie mistake... again. I am using rails, and was getting the error when I was having it measure in a section without the board. When I retried this while making sure it had the actual board under the head, it measured is correctly.

Now I looked, and there is a hole in the plate on the homing side.

So, after all this, I restarted it, put in the bit and watched it go to work. When it homed for a thickness measurement, the bit went down in the hole. Then it went to the other side and stalled when the bit hit the sliding guide, and gave me a Z axis stall error E06-0313. Could this hole be causing the error? If so, how can I fix it? Is there some simple way to plug that hole if it is indeed causing the problem?

Dale
03-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Some people glue a dime over the hole, I used a small piece of an old credit card.

djarboe
03-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Some people glue a dime over the hole, I used a small piece of an old credit card.

Attached is a photo of the hole. It is in the plastic piece under the metal guide. If you look at it, it looks like I had glued something there previously. I have some brass shim stock of varying thicknesses. Could I glue that over the hole, or would something more substantial be better. I assume the thickness of the item doesn't matter, is that correct?

Digitalwoodshop
03-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Using a 1/2 inch thick board raised alarm with me... i remember having problems with boards thinner than 3/4 inch.....

And the error code... Like others said... Look for a hole drilled in the brass roller holder. So if you get the fault as the head goes down on the keyboard side then you have a hole... Telling us when you get the error helps us understand what has happened.

My 2007 and 2008 machines when you do a bit check where the cut motor spins up then goes over to the LEFT or keyboard side and dips down. IF the cut motor is STILL coasting to a STOP then when it goes down it drills a hole in the plastic. I MUST Open my clear cover just after the cut motor shuts off and the heads is going left while the cut motor is still coasting to a stop. Then when it stops spinning press enter to let it continue after a open cover. AS your cut motor gets OLDER it takes longer to STOP SPINNING after a bit check so I MUST do this or drill a hole. You can press STOP once too rather than open the cover. New Motors are tighter and slow down sooner.

I would glue a piece of credit card on the hole. I don't use metal as if you miss opening the cover the bit drills into the metal.... Not good for the bit tip...

Your Board Sensor numbers look GOOD... The Standard is to use a piece of white copy paper on a board. You should get a 156 max with white paper. As you pointed out... every board is different as the sensor has 2 LED's and the sensor looks at the REFLECTED Light from the board.

I had a CRAZY Board Sensor Problem.... A Blind Sensor not finding the board edge but white paper was 156... Turned out to be my RF Video Camera with it's 6 LED's Flooding the machine with LIGHT... turn off the camera for board checks.. PERFECT.... I use a wireless Video and Wireless Intercom to watch my Machine from the Laser Shop next door.... quieter....

AL

djarboe
03-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Using a 1/2 inch thick board raised alarm with me... i remember having problems with boards thinner than 3/4 inch.....

And the error code... Like others said... Look for a hole drilled in the brass roller holder. So if you get the fault as the head goes down on the keyboard side then you have a hole... Telling us when you get the error helps us understand what has happened.

My 2007 and 2008 machines when you do a bit check where the cut motor spins up then goes over to the LEFT or keyboard side and dips down. IF the cut motor is STILL coasting to a STOP then when it goes down it drills a hole in the plastic. I MUST Open my clear cover just after the cut motor shuts off and the heads is going left while the cut motor is still coasting to a stop. Then when it stops spinning press enter to let it continue after a open cover. AS your cut motor gets OLDER it takes longer to STOP SPINNING after a bit check so I MUST do this or drill a hole. You can press STOP once too rather than open the cover. New Motors are tighter and slow down sooner.

I would glue a piece of credit card on the hole. I don't use metal as if you miss opening the cover the bit drills into the metal.... Not good for the bit tip...

Your Board Sensor numbers look GOOD... The Standard is to use a piece of white copy paper on a board. You should get a 156 max with white paper. As you pointed out... every board is different as the sensor has 2 LED's and the sensor looks at the REFLECTED Light from the board.

I had a CRAZY Board Sensor Problem.... A Blind Sensor not finding the board edge but white paper was 156... Turned out to be my RF Video Camera with it's 6 LED's Flooding the machine with LIGHT... turn off the camera for board checks.. PERFECT.... I use a wireless Video and Wireless Intercom to watch my Machine from the Laser Shop next door.... quieter....

AL

Thanks for the info. I will try to find an unused credit card and glue it to the piece. Could hot melt glue work? I don't want to epoxy it, since it would be much harder to remove should I have to replace the piece later.

I realize a 1/2" is the limit, but thought I would give it a try. I've routinely used 5/8" material with no problem.

djarboe
03-23-2017, 11:05 AM

AL

Well, the problems continue. I put a piece of credit card over the hole. It measured everything just fine. I'm using rails, so I told it not to keep the piece under the rollers, and then told it to center the carving on the board. When it went over to touch the bit on the credit card, it touched it twice, and then stopped with a Z axis stall error E06-0313. So, it never got to the point of measuring the thickness. (In the past, I was getting this error when the bit went down in the hole that is now covered, and tried to measure the thickness, and touched the sliding rail.) What do I try now? I noticed when it was touching the piece of credit card the bit was not spinning after the motor test, but the card did flex a little bit... not much, just a little. Need help here.

Digitalwoodshop
03-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Try a thicker board just to half step the troubleshooting. You don't need to cut it just see is the 1/2 inch board is the problem.

djarboe
03-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Try a thicker board just to half step the troubleshooting. You don't need to cut it just see is the 1/2 inch board is the problem.

I found the problem. I use the Rock Chuck and stop collars on the bits. I had the bits sticking out too far in the stop collars. I shortened them up, and am well into the carving now. Still using the 1/2" board, and no problems.

Icutone2
03-23-2017, 05:50 PM
May sound crazy but check the compression rollers, It fixed mine a few times.
Best of luck
Lee

Icutone2
03-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Good to see you got it going!