PDA

View Full Version : LHR Dust Hood

djarboe
03-17-2017, 11:13 AM
I purchased the LHR dust collection hood. When I got it I installed it on my machine. Had a little trouble, since the mounting holes in the injection molded part that mounts on the machine were not quite wide enough. Then it dawned on me that the front cover will not close enough to activate the micro switches. I called LHR, and talked with a gentleman who was quite polite and tried to help me. He said there is a replacement cover, but it was currently out of stock, with no current time for delivery. So he recommended I cut down my cover, after removing it. He also said I should cut it so there is about 1/8" gap between the cover and the dust hood.

While I appreciate the representative's help, doesn't it seem logical that if the existing cover will not work that the shorter cover and dust hood would be sold as a set? There was no mention of the need to cut down the original cover anywhere that I could find.

So, has anyone had to cut the cover to make everything fit, and if so, how much should I take off?

SteveNelson46
03-17-2017, 01:13 PM
I used a band saw to cut mine but I don't remember how much I cut off. With the dust hood installed, lay a straight edge on top and mark the carvewright case on both sides. Remove the dust hood and close the cover. Mark it where you made the marks on the frame of the CW. Remove the cover and lay the straight edge across it about 1/4" short of the marks for clearance and mark a straight line. Cut the cover using the fence on the band saw then use sandpaper to smooth the edge and remove the burrs. If you are careful, the cover will be exactly like the one you can buy. This will save the cost of a cover and shipping.

djarboe
03-17-2017, 01:34 PM
I used a band saw to cut mine but I don't remember how much I cut off. With the dust hood installed, lay a straight edge on top and mark the carvewright case on both sides. Remove the dust hood and close the cover. Mark it where you made the marks on the frame of the CW. Remove the cover and lay the straight edge across it about 1/4" short of the marks for clearance and mark a straight line. Cut the cover using the fence on the band saw then use sandpaper to smooth the edge and remove the burrs. If you are careful, the cover will be exactly like the one you can buy. This will save the cost of a cover and shipping.

Well, I did something very similar to what you suggested. I laid a straight edge across the top of the dust hood and made a mark with a straight edge about 1/8" above that. Then I used a dremel tool with a cutoff disk, and cut it along the mark. I was able to do this without removing the cover. Then I cut and sanded the melted flashing from the cut edge. Works fine now, but there are two large gaps on either side of the dust hood. I'm thinking about cutting pieces from the scrap cover piece and epoxying them on the machine to close off the gaps. Do you think this is worth the trouble?

rmock
03-17-2017, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, with the dust hood in use it will be fine.

djarboe
03-17-2017, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, with the dust hood in use it will be fine.

Kind of what I thought also. Thanks.

SteveNelson46
03-17-2017, 06:31 PM
I didn't do anything with mine. Works great so it shouldn't be a concern.

mtylerfl
03-17-2017, 09:43 PM
I use a different dust hood, which also normally requires cutting the clear cover. But, I didn't cut it at all. Instead, I put a small dollop of hot glue on each end of the little plastic tabs that push in the cover switches. Works perfectly! The glue dabs extended the tabs quite enough to securely engage the micro switches with the cover resting on the dust hood. I posted about this a long time ago with photos. Too late for you, since you already cut the cover, but maybe will help others who "just don't want to cut the cover" like me!

DianMayfield
03-18-2017, 10:16 AM
We cut ours in place, with a dremel cutoff as well.

We measured the gap between the lower edge of the cover and the frame (it was not much)
We installed the hood, lowered the cover and marked the width of the opening needed.
We then measured the gap between the lower edge of the cover and frame, added a bit and marked up from there across the cover between the width marks.
Clamped an 18in metal straight edge to the cover to guide the dremel
Removed the dust hood to get better working space
Used a trash bag, taped in place, inside the machine and draped through the cover opening to catch the flying balls of hot plastic.