PDA

View Full Version : Carving wider than 12"

Rob
02-18-2017, 09:10 PM
I want to build a table with a carved top. The carving will span multiple boards. I have been thinking I would create a project for each board with a small amount of overlap, the cut off the boarder and run it thru the jointer, align the carvings and glue boards together. is there an easier way?

Ideas would be greatly valued!

Thanks
Rob

normrichards
02-19-2017, 10:26 AM
You pretty much have it right, here is how I do big signs or carvings, I use a method in an old tips and tricks article.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Jul09.pdf

Rob
02-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks, that is great information!!!!

DickB
02-20-2017, 06:52 AM
What is the size of your table top? Are you using Centerline?

Rob
02-26-2017, 07:18 PM
42" to 48", still designing.

Centerline = yes

DickB
02-27-2017, 06:58 AM
I would suggest laying out your complete project at 1/4 scale. That is, if your project is 48" wide, start with a virtual board that is 12" wide. When finished with the layout, scale everything up to final size, then cut and paste to four separate projects.

I would try to limit Centerline text to one board and not span boards if possible. If Centerline text extends beyond a project board it will air carve off to the side. If you have Centerline text that is completely off a board, it's best to delete it for that project board. Below is a project I have done many times. On the bottom board project I deleted all of the lake names that would be on the top board.

83398 83399

I suggest keeping a 1" or at least a 1/2" strip top an bottom to ensure that the rollers have a good edge to grip. In my bottom board project I kept a 1" strip by drawing a rectangle over the top of the board 1" wide and assigning a zero-depth carve region. (I actually assign .001" deep, as this keeps the software from complaining but has the same zero depth result.) To avoid waste I temporarily fasten a 1" reusable board to my project board while machining.

Rob
02-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks Dick. Great idea.

How are you attaching the 1" reusable board?

DickB
02-28-2017, 06:26 AM
I use a 1-5/8" screw at either end of the board. This is not a carved area in my projects, and the screw hole is hidden or trimmed off later.