PDA

View Full Version : Close door

Ropdoc
02-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Hello all, during carves the machine stops telling me to close door. It is closed. Can the contact switch be bad?

fwharris
02-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Do you have a dust collection attachment? If so check to see if the clear cover is making contact.

normrichards
02-13-2017, 12:44 AM
Before I disconnected my cover switches " I know the safety police will come for you" I had to add a small glob of hot melt glue to the cover pin that pushes in the switch as it was no longer pushing the switch in, there is no adjustment on them. Finally when my switch was giving me more issues I just bypassed them both.

lynnfrwd
02-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Hello all, during carves the machine stops telling me to close door. It is closed. Can the contact switch be bad?

Make sure it is not from vibration or that your lid is not crooked.

lynnfrwd
02-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Before I disconnected my cover switches " I know the safety police will come for you" I had to add a small glob of hot melt glue to the cover pin that pushes in the switch as it was no longer pushing the switch in, there is no adjustment on them. Finally when my switch was giving me more issues I just bypassed them both.

You know we don't encourage this.

Sincerely,
Safety Police

Dale
02-13-2017, 10:29 AM
I just added some self stick velcro tape and tape the lid closed.

SteveNelson46
02-13-2017, 11:09 AM

This is my perspective and personal opinion.

I know it is not encouraged but, at the risk of incurring the wrath of all the "safety engineers" here on the forum and setting LHR company liability aside I think most of the experienced users have done it. If you look at most of the other CNC machines, they don't even have a cover much less a safety switch. I think one just has to be smart enough not to put their hands, or other objects, in the machine while it's running. And if you do, don't be dumb enough to tell anyone. Another advantage is that you have to get in the habit of pressing the stop button to stop the machine instead of raising the lid and sometimes breaking a bit. Also, if you remove the wiring to the switches entirely it eliminates the problem of the Y truck obstruction. Yea yea I know that if the machine has a faulty power supply that it could start up on its own. This only happens on the older machines and is extremely rare. If the dog hadn't stopped to take a crap he would have caught the rabbit.

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I have had the same problem and my simple FIX was to do a "seat belt".... Open the lid about 1/4 way and run a few strips of TAPE from the black cover slot and the clear cover. This seat belt holds the cover tight to the switch.

Please don't bypass the left switch as you will eventually open the cover and the right side switch will stop the cut motor and the machine will continue and SNAP a BIT....

WORKS...

AL

normrichards
02-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Safety police definitely coming for me. I bypassed both switches.

lynnfrwd
02-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Safety police definitely coming for me. I bypassed both switches.

Yep, you better be skeered...

Ducky63
02-13-2017, 06:33 PM
I don't know if it will help but when I'm not running my machine I leave the cover open and cover the machine with a blanket. With my B machine I had trouble with the switches until I started to leave the cover open.

bergerud
02-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Many times I have pushed the stop button only to have the machine start again on its own. (On vector cuts if I recall.) I have to open the cover after I push the stop button just to make sure the machine says off. If I bypassed my left cover switch, I would have to turn off the machine to stop it.

If you know anything about how the triac motor controller works, you would not bypass the right cover switch.

SteveNelson46
02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Intricate knowledge of any machine should not be required and if you pushed the STOP button and the machine continued to run then you have a real problem. If safety is the real issue the machine should not have faults, flaws, and deficiencies and if they do they should never be patched over with additional switches. As far as I know all other CNC machines, or any other electric or electronic devices for that matter, do not have a problem with their machines starting up when they are not supposed to unless they need repair. I can speak from experience that in the 9 years of owning, consulting, and repairing Carvewright machines I have never experienced one that has started up by itself unless it had faulty parts.

EDIT: I think the real reason for the cover switches is to keep people from putting their hands in the machine while it's running. However, sometimes it's really convenient to have the ability to leave it open. Especially when diagnosing a problem or to teach someone how the machine works. Sometimes it's fun to just watch it carve. Otherwise, I always leave it closed.

bergerud
02-14-2017, 11:43 AM
True, the restarting of my machine is a fault of some kind. Is not one of the reasons for safety features to protect the user if there is a malfunction?

When changing a router bit in your router, do you unplug it? I do and I am happy to have the cut motor "unplugged" by the right cover switch when I change bits in the CW.

DickB
02-14-2017, 11:45 AM
... I have never experienced one that has started up by itself unless it had faulty parts.Reason enough to use a switch on the cut motor in my opinion. A failure of the electronics or a code bug could cause the cut motor to start or run unexpectedly. A mechanical switch is unlikely to fail in the closed position at the same time. I suspect it would be hard to defend not having installed a $2 safety switch should someone get injured.

BTW this is common practice. My Porter-Cable router shuts itself off when you invert it to change a bit - the power switch has a tab that slides the switch off when set down inverted.

normrichards
02-14-2017, 11:58 AM
I have had my switches bypassed for years with no issue. My router in my router table (where i do 90% of my routing) is never unplugged. I change many bits. I also removed the blade cover from my table saw as 90% of real woodworkers do. You should be aware and have understanding of what you decide to do. I also agree that CW is one of the very few cnc machines with any cover at all.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2017, 12:32 PM
If you do a search in the troubleshooting around the date of 2008 of the first time the broken C1 Capacitor on the X Terminations happened to me. It caused the cut motor to run with the cover closed and the machine in any mode. The problem was caused by one lead of the Cap to snapping off due to a worn QC. The touching and not touching of the broken lead caused the Triac to cycle and start the cut motor. This happened just by thumping on the top of the machine with my fist. IF you were banging the bit changing tools with your fingers on the bit with the right side cover switch bypassed the cut motor COULD come on.

This is a real fault or causality that HAS occurred and the result is the cut motor starting. This is why the right side cover switch was designed in to the system to make a unexpected or un predicted causality to the electronics not let the cut motor start.

As for the members that do bypass the safety switches, WE are all adults and operate the machine with known risks.

For the new members knowing of this C1 causality of the past helps them make a informed decision as to weather they want to bypass the switches.

AL :lol:

normrichards
02-14-2017, 01:19 PM
If you do a search in the troubleshooting around the date of 2008 of the first time the broken C1 Capacitor on the X Terminations happened to me. It caused the cut motor to run with the cover closed and the machine in any mode. The problem was caused by one lead of the Cap to snapping off due to a worn QC. The touching and not touching of the broken lead caused the Triac to cycle and start the cut motor. This happened just by thumping on the top of the machine with my fist. IF you were banging the bit changing tools with your fingers on the bit with the right side cover switch bypassed the cut motor COULD come on.

This is a real fault or causality that HAS occurred and the result is the cut motor starting. This is why the right side cover switch was designed in to the system to make a unexpected or un predicted causality to the electronics not let the cut motor start.

As for the members that do bypass the safety switches, WE are all adults and operate the machine with known risks.

For the new members knowing of this C1 causality of the past helps them make a informed decision as to weather they want to bypass the switches.

AL :lol:

As usual, well said.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2017, 03:47 PM
As usual, well said.

Speaking of known risks... How many of us operate a chain saw without the fiber chaps on our legs to stop the chain if a kick back sends the blade into your legs? How many operate a chain saw with a helmet with a wire mesh eye guard and muffs? I am about 50/50....

That is a classic example of where WE as adults operate equipment with or without safety equipment everyday and don't give it a second thought. I know I DO.... So I temper my "Standing on my SAFETY Soapbox" with restraint as I would rather EDUCATE then SCOLD. I am as guilty of "Do as I say NOT as I do" as anyone....

KNOWLEDGE is power.... I remember when making Picture Tubes at SONY when they closed down the 32 inch TV Line in about 1997 they had about 50 displaced assembly workers some having been with the company over 15 years. One Lady took a job in the 20 inch CRT area as a operator. One day the caged in Robot doing a pick and place of a part of the picture tube stopped working. She saw the problem and being a thin lady slipped between the wall and the cage and went inside the operating area of the robot. She moved the part and the Robot in full auto started up and went for the part. It bent her over the equipment and sadly She will never walk again. During training at Sony they brought in members of the 8 and 9 digit club. Maintenance workers having lost fingers in chain drives doing maintenance like greasing and cleaning. They each told their story leaving a big impression on my. SO Educate is the name of the game... Know the risks.

The thought of a Router Bit taking off when I have my finger in the machine just scares me so I don't bypass the switches.

AL

SteveNelson46
02-14-2017, 08:06 PM
I have had my switches bypassed for years with no issue. My router in my router table (where i do 90% of my routing) is never unplugged. I change many bits. I also removed the blade cover from my table saw as 90% of real woodworkers do. You should be aware and have understanding of what you decide to do. I also agree that CW is one of the very few cnc machines with any cover at all.

I agree with you Norm. However, there are always differences of opinion and there will always be those who like to over-emphasize and lose perspective. In my opinion, the cover switches are not necessary, hinder operation of the machine and cause more problems than they are worth. Installation of a DC is another example. As I said before " this will probably incur the wrath of the "Safety "Engineers" here on the forum" and it has. I apologize for my differing opinions but, ostensibly, we are all adults and can make our own conclusions. I just don't like treating fellow users as though they are morons and prefer to just tell it like it is or as I see it and let them decide.

fwharris
02-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Are we trying to stay on topic for his cover switch issue or have we jumping into reasons to have or not to have the cover switches? ;)

DickB
02-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Bypassing the switches was suggested as a "solution" to the problem so I think the discussion is pertinent, although it has probably run its course. Some other options were suggested, but we haven't heard back from Ropdoc so we don't know if the issue has been fixed.

As I posted long ago, I did have an issue with the left switch even after it had been replaced under warranty. I investigated and found that the switch was not dustproof. I replaced it with a dustproof model and have had no issues in 7 years. So a faulty switch is another possible cause.

fwharris
02-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Bypassing the switches was suggested as a "solution" to the problem so I think the discussion is pertinent, although it has probably run its course. Some other options were suggested, but we haven't heard back from Ropdoc so we don't know if the issue has been fixed.

As I posted long ago, I did have an issue with the left switch even after it had been replaced under warranty. I investigated and found that the switch was not dustproof. I replaced it with a dustproof model and have had no issues in 7 years. So a faulty switch is another possible cause.

I was not trying to shut everyone down on the discussion, hence the ;) , was more to directing to possible causes vs over riding switches. :)

Ropdoc
02-15-2017, 08:11 PM
I was looking for why the motor stops and a message displays 'close door". I removed the cover and have the switch taped in the closed position. The machine is an "A" version. Any ideas as to a fix.

bergerud
02-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Are you sure the switch is actually closed? It could be dusty inside and not be making contact.

Ropdoc
02-15-2017, 09:21 PM
Are you sure the switch is actually closed? It could be dusty inside and not be making contact.

Good point, I will blow it out good. Thank you

bergerud
02-16-2017, 02:38 AM
If the switch has dust in it, I doubt it will blow out.

First thing first. Open and close the cover while listening to and monitoring (on sensor check: 0 -7) how the switch is working.

When does it switch? It should switch before the cover is completely closed. (Switching too close to the closed position might explain the intermittent behavior.)

Does it switch consistently from open to closed as it clicks? If not, then there may dust in the switch.

Ropdoc
02-16-2017, 02:54 AM
I forgot about the sensor check. I will run it to see. I have removed the cover from years past. But the switch is still connected.

DickB
02-16-2017, 09:01 AM
If you have the cover off and the switch taped closed, why don't you just bypass the switch altogether (remove the wires and connect them)?

bergerud
02-16-2017, 10:32 AM
I forgot about the sensor check. I will run it to see. I have removed the cover from years past. But the switch is still connected.

If the switch is not a dynamic part of your system it is probably not the problem. Wiggle stuff around while you watch the sensor check. Maybe it is just a poor connection.

Ropdoc
02-16-2017, 02:46 PM
If the switch is not a dynamic part of your system it is probably not the problem. Wiggle stuff around while you watch the sensor check. Maybe it is just a poor connection.

Thank you.

Ropdoc
02-16-2017, 02:48 PM
If you have the cover off and the switch taped closed, why don't you just bypass the switch altogether (remove the wires and connect them)?

I am not sure of how to remove the switch. Are you able to show or explain how?

fwharris
02-16-2017, 03:23 PM
I am not sure of how to remove the switch. Are you able to show or explain how?

This should help you.. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_cover_switch.pdf