PDA

View Full Version : Saw won't carve

pamjmayo
03-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I've got something new for me that I can't figure out. My saw responds perfectly until it is time to install new bit. I press enter because the bit is already in, it does the homing etc, and then just stops. This morning I oiled my chuck and bit, re-formatted my card and it did the same thing. Has anyone had this problem?

Jeff_Birt
03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Stops where? During bit homing?

pamjmayo
03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, after it does the Homing, it goes back to the same request "Load bit" and we start all over again.

rgant05
03-25-2007, 12:07 PM
when it request for bit to be installed, you press enter again and it does the same homing routine again? When mine does that and I press enter again, it continues on. Does it do this on all projects or this particular one that you are working on. Might post it for us to look at and maybe even for someone to try to cut that will eliminate the project as suspect of the problem.

JOHNB
03-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I "think" That If It Keeps Asking You To "load Bit " It Doesn't Know That Theres A Bit Already Loaded Because The Bit Is Not Hitting The Top Of The Flapper On The Other Side. Check To See If Flapper Is Moving Out And Bit Hits The Top Like It Should And Does Not Ride Down The Side Of Flapper.

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I had that too. A Burr on the rounded part of the bit flag. The flag never got out far enough and the bit missed. I then got a load bit error. A sharpening stone fixed the burr.

AL

pamjmayo
03-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks to each of you. I'm so new at this that I don't know the terminology to check it out. Flag and flapper? Anyone got the patience for a lesson on where these parts are. God forbid I have to change out parts, etc. like you guys do. I hope someone's smart enough to write instructions for the really dumb ones like me. One question I can answer. I was printing the book pattern that I bought from 3-D Vector so I can assume it's not the patterns fault. I can't post it because it is copyright protected.

rgant05
03-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Pam,
The flag (I guess some could call it a flapper) is the thingie (LOL i crack myself up) that comes out when the z-truck goes all the way to the rear of the machine (if you are looking through the cover, it is to the far right). When it goes to that extreme travel it hits a rounded edge of the flag that normally should come out and the bit toucheds that flag with a double tap, then backs up(flag goes in) and back again and repeats itself with another double tap. This does what I beleive is two tasks in one. #1 it detects that there is really a bit that has been placed in the machine, but #2, I believe it somewhat calibrates itself by detecting at what position that bit is with the board surface. As they have said this is a problem sometimes if it has developed a slight bur on the little rounded part of the flag that the truck hits and pops the flag out. If this is the case then a fine file on either the round part of the flag and/or the corresponding part of the z-truck that pushes it and makes it move will get rid of this burr. (I'm thinking also a little bit of light grease - not much though - wouldn't hurt.)

Roger

CallNeg151
03-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Thanks to each of you. I'm so new at this that I don't know the terminology to check it out. Flag and flapper? Anyone got the patience for a lesson on where these parts are.
I'm going to assume you know where the clear plastic dust cover is, as well as the keypad. I'm going to describe your machine as if you are looking into it through the clear safety cover, with the keypad on the left.

When you load the bit, it spins a little bit, and then the unit with the bit moves to the left hand side (toward the keypad), until it passes the board that is loaded. Once it reaches the left hand side, it will lower the bit past the board a couple of times. Then, it moves all the way to the right. As it moves over, a metal flapp should spring from the right-hand side of the machine. Once the bit moves to the right, it will lower the bit until it touches this metal flap, and then repeat it. After it touches the metal flap a couple of times, the metal flap springs back into its retracted position, and the bit moves to the left so that it is near the left-hand side of the board, and then touches the board a couple of times. After it does this, it repeats this entire process with the next bit. For a simple project, it is typically the 1/16" carving bit and the 1/8" cutting bit, but if you use any other bits, you will need to load them too.

The problem that people are reporting above is that the metal flap didn't spring out far enough on their machines for the bit to touch the flap.

Watch closely what your machine does, and then you should be able to report what is going on in your machine.

Good luck!

pamjmayo
03-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Roger and Callneg....thank you. I now understand what you are saying and tomorrow morning I'm going to check. God, it's so nice that you are so willing to teach and know how to talk to a real "greenie". My 85 year oldmother watches everything I do and she is so cute. She'll say what's the depth and are you going to use Tung Oil on this one. She's going back to Vancouver tomorrow and buying her own machine so my brother can work it for her. Thanks again.

Pam

Jeff_Birt
03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I would suggest NOT using oil or grease on the bit plate cam (rounded area of flag). These lubricants will suck in saw dust and make glue. In stead use bicycle chain wax or ski wax.

DON FIELDS
03-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Pam,
I had this same problem about two weeks ago and posted the answer to this problem on Jon Jantz website. www.allcw.com. I'll explain it here also.
The bit is supposed to hit the center of the "flapper" . In my case it did not extend fully from its home position because the rubber band that controls the travel for the Y axis had lost its tension because of a loose screw on the tension bar. The screw is located in the upper right corner of the machine. To find same--open the plastic cover ; find the horizontal rubber band that allows the carving head to move left to right, etc. go to the far right and look above the band and see a black heavy metal piece with a small screw inserted in a slot. More often than not this is the problem. Move the sliding unit to the right and retighten the screw. If your machine is like mine--there was NO locking washer to hold the tension against the constant vibration of the machine. It doesn't move very far, but this fixed my problem. You'll need a stubby phillips screwdriver to get on that screw.
Good Luck
Don