PDA

View Full Version : Need advice... starting carving up again.

djarboe
02-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Well, it's been a while since I have carved anything, due to health issues. I would like to restart, and am relearning how to use Designer, etc.

I am still running V1.187, Build 10870. I have a Rock Chuck, which I purchased after the quick chuck gave out, and LHR had no upgrades at that time. The Rock Chuck is OK, but bit placement in it is a bit tricky/cumbersome... particularly getting the right length of the extension of the bit.

While I would like to upgrade some, money is an issue.

I have many questions, and will try to post them to the correct sections of this forum.

But a few general questions:
1. Should I get an aftermarket dust collector?
2. Is it advisable to upgrade the spindle to LHR's "new" one, or stick with the Rock Chuck?
3. Is there a really good reason to update the software?

I have missed my forum interactions, which were always extremely helpful not to mention the patience you all have had with my dumb questions.

It's good to be back, and am looking forward to making some wood dust again.

fwharris
02-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Well, it's been a while since I have carved anything, due to health issues. I would like to restart, and am relearning how to use Designer, etc.

I am still running V1.187, Build 10870. I have a Rock Chuck, which I purchased after the quick chuck gave out, and LHR had no upgrades at that time. The Rock Chuck is OK, but bit placement in it is a bit tricky/cumbersome... particularly getting the right length of the extension of the bit.

While I would like to upgrade some, money is an issue.

I have many questions, and will try to post them to the correct sections of this forum.

But a few general questions:
1. Should I get an aftermarket dust collector? Highly recommended you have a dust collection system to keep the machine clean and improve machine performance and reliability.
2. Is it advisable to upgrade the spindle to LHR's "new" one, or stick with the Rock Chuck? That would be your call. The rock is a good alternative to the CW chuck.
3. Is there a really good reason to update the software If you want/need the tools and features that are not supported in the old version.

I have missed my forum interactions, which were always extremely helpful not to mention the patience you all have had with my dumb questions.

It's good to be back, and am looking forward to making some wood dust again.

See my comments in red.

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2017, 01:32 PM
I use the Rock Chuck with locking rings to keep the length correct.

I buy used Rock Chucks and Chuck Parts if you decide to upgrade to a CT.

AL

behanner
02-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Dust collector is the best thing I ever did for carving once I was able to get enough amperage out to my shed.