PDA

View Full Version : lamp-5

Bill
03-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Lamp 5, Srart to finish

BobHill
03-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Continues to be a great idea, Bill. Bye the way, have you tried the flourescent bulbs to see if there is less of a hot spot?

Bob

Bill
03-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello Bob,
I have had it on continually for 3 days it just a bit warm hardly warm at all has two 60 watt bulbs in it. I am going to try different color florescent bulbs and see what effect it will have for a color scheme but don't want to do away with the pattern projected onto the walls.

Kenm810
03-25-2007, 10:23 AM
My wife asked if different colors -- or all the same color stained glass or semi-transparent fabric could be put or installed inside the front panels with the back ones left open for ventilation, so the shadows and silhouettes could still be seen on the wall. I have a feeling I’ll be carving lamps soon.
Thanks

Carved by Bill

JOHNB
03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Wooow......very Nice.....great Idea

rgant05
03-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I hope to eventually try Bill's design someday soon. It really turned out great. Not to detract in the least on his fine design, but I have found that I like the screw in floresent bulb replacements in just about everything I have. It take a third or less of the electricity (makes the green side of me feel better), creates less heat, gives as much light, and the number one issue- they last longer because the rural electric quality around that we have around here renders incandesant lamp with very short lifetime. Also, might consider ventilation in the top. Wouldn't have to be to elaborate, but then could be and might even do it to project another interesting pattern of light on the ceiling. Like all great designs, it leaves endless possibilities for evolution.

Roger

Bill
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Kenm810,
I like to use gold or amber colored bulbs. I have tried translucent colors with Plexiglass and fabric.

Plexiglass and fabric When glued or stapled in it no mater how well it is cut and fitted in (in my opinion)
looks a bit unprofessional when you look inside.

Now perhaps the stained glass (which I have not tried) may look very nice indeed.

Bill
03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Hello Roger,

Also, might consider ventilation in the top

I usually put in designs in the top for ventilation but for this one I left closed (per request)
they did not want shadows or silhouettes on the ceiling and I do at times use
different color florescent bulbs depending on the decor as these are custom made.

Bill
03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello JohnB,
Thank you for your complement

Kenm810
03-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Bill,
Just a thought, is it possible to recess a rectangle in the back of the panel
just a 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch to fit the stain glass into,
and held top and bottom with mirror clips
Thanks

Bill
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Kenm810,
Sure it is possible, just be careful of the depth of your cut that you leave enough stock
for your recess with out cutting through your design on the front side.

Bill
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
the decor as these are custom made.
Being custom made I some times put the folks initials on the lamp pieces
this one happens to have W/W
so if you use my designs be sure to look for initials on the pieces some of
my designs have them and some don't if they do you can remove them
and put on your own or leave them off.

rgant05
03-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Bill, you sound like you have sold several of these. I am always afraid to charge and consequently never charge enough. What do you sell this design lamp for?

Kenm810
03-26-2007, 06:36 AM
No Problem Bill,
Barb just wants a couple for the grand kid's rooms.
Most likely animal shapes you know, like animal cracker cut outs.
Thanks again

Bill
03-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Hello rgant05,
No I have not sold them it is just a hobby and the lamps I make are
just given away for different occasions but I have had them appraised
at different shops and you would be surprised of the amount $$ that
has been put on them.

I have made lamps for quite some time now and had to cut them out by hand
using a scroll saw, jig saw carving tools and it was a chore now with the CW
machine it has added a whole new dimension to the looks of the lamps.

Keep in mind, the time to make them and make them with out looking
home made is very (time consuming)

David M.
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey Bill,
I work in the sign industry and I have a machine called a Gerber Edge that can print solid color patches of any size or detail onto clear adhesive vinyl. That vinyl then can be applied to acrylic of any thickness and the appearance with light is a stained glass effect.

Bill
03-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Hello David,
Kenm810 just asked about something like this and may be just what he is thinking about.
Perhaps he may like to try it.

Kenm810 said

Just a thought, is it possible to recess a rectangle in the back of the panel
just a 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch to fit the stain glass into,
and held top and bottom with mirror clips

Bill
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
All but the hardware

BoardSilly
04-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Very nice craftsmanship.