PDA

View Full Version : Cannibalizing Strategy

the_skeptic
01-23-2017, 06:43 PM
I have a B (QC) model that is inoperative due to Z axis failure. I've been reading the threads and troubleshooting the issue. It's been very time consuming. Some of the threads and videos on the internet describe replacing parts for weeks on end with no solution. Within a week or 2 (at the most), I want to be producing some CNC carvings, so I'm looking for a system that is reliable with little downtime. My thought is to purchase a new CW model and have the some of the old parts as backup during downtime. Does anyone know if the B model motors and boards will work in the new system? Turn-around for an upgrade is too long.
Thanks

fwharris
01-23-2017, 07:14 PM
All parts are the same. The only major parts difference between the B and new C is the upgraded power supply and cut motor.

bergerud
01-23-2017, 07:34 PM
If you try and explain exactly how and when this z axis failure occurs, maybe we identify the problem.

the_skeptic
01-24-2017, 05:45 AM
Thank you in advance for the help. Below is a discription of the troubleshooting that I have attempted.

1) Z axis stall during pattern cut.
While attempting to carve a square region with a depth of < 0.1" the z axis stall occured after a minute of run time (about 1" into the square pattern cut).

2) Z axis stall symptoms during cut motor test:
-Z axis homes to left side (crank panel end), then, moves to center (0,0, ).
-Cut motor runs, then, stalls and the Z axis truck drops abouts an inch.
-Error code (06-0313) is displayed in the LCD and sometimes power is lost and the LCD fades to a blank screen.
-While the LCD was blank, I noticed that the LCD would re-appear when opening and closing the dust cover. Switches were bypassed and the cut motor test was re-accomplished with the same problems.

-X Test- the board is pushed from its roller. The cap ends of the rollers were cleaned out,but problem persists. This does not occur during the a regular pattern cut. The sensor levers in the rollers are clear.
-Y Test-PASS
-Z Test-PASS

3) Sensor check seem to read accurately. the top of the z axis was a negative number

4) Both rotary encoders and encoder housing was clean. I notice that the enoder hub and wheel can be moved axially if pressure is applied. There is about an 1/8" space between the encoder. [I read that the endcoder can be moved manually while observing the sensor position on the LCD.]

5) FCC ribbon cable was checked for continuity.

6) Z axis motor was detached and z axis had very little physical resistance. Pulley gears abd belt and bearings were cleaned.

7) *Cut motor was impacted with saw dust. It was never dissassembled prior so I wonder why it is not sealed properly

8) Bearing posts and lead screws were thouroughly cleaned and lubricated with graphite. Head was worked up and down. Head pressure is under 75 lbs..it is maybe 45 lbs. The jam nut on the crank side had to be tightened. Customer support said that the lead screw is to supposed to float laterally. Posts were realigned according to Carvewright's instructions.

9) At this point, the machine is dissasembled. The boards and power supply are removed and the cables are attached in order to find a loose connection and possibly measure continuity and current. I suspect that that there is a loose connection since the stall seems to occur as the cut motor reaches a speed and vibration increases.

*The slot (at the base) where the ribbon cables are routed is too small to properly re-route the cables without pinching and crimping them. It seems that the cable ends were probably attached after they were routed through that small slot at the factory. I replaced the LCD cable.

10) Gear and belt teeth are good. Y axis belt tension was loose originally. I loosened the tension screw and it "re-tensioned" itself.

bergerud
01-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Now I understand your dilemma. It sounds to me like you have a problem with the 5 volt system. An intermittent short or, as you say, a bad connection. It could be anywhere. It could be in the power supply.

We have seen the wire to the board sensor inside the z truck get pinched and screw up the 5 volt system.

I am sorry that after getting such a detailed description of the problem, that I cannot be of more help.

SteveNelson46
01-24-2017, 11:31 AM
About the only thing you can do at this point is to start replacing parts one at a time. Start with the part that would be your best guess as to what is causing the problem. I suspect it is the controller. I've had similar problems and started replacing parts and when I replaced the controller it solved the problem. This approach seems a little expensive but you will accumulate a lot of spare parts for future diagnosis. Murphy's law says that it will be the very last part that you swap out but look at it this way: In the end you will have almost a new machine and a much better understanding of how the machine works.

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2017, 02:01 PM
1) Z axis stall during pattern cut.
While attempting to carve a square region with a depth of < 0.1" the z axis stall occured after a minute of run time (about 1" into the square pattern cut).
My first impression is that this is a Power Supply L2 problem. The Vibration causes the L2 Coil to SNAP within the board where it is bent over. Carving causes vibration and the L2 or the 5 Volt supply will be cut off causing a stall AND a blank or Intermittent blank LCD.

2) Z axis stall symptoms during cut motor test:
-Z axis homes to left side (crank panel end), then, moves to center (0,0, ).
-Cut motor runs, then, stalls and the Z axis truck drops abouts an inch.
-Error code (06-0313) is displayed in the LCD and sometimes power is lost and the LCD fades to a blank screen. Power Supply L2 Problem.
-While the LCD was blank, I noticed that the LCD would re-appear when opening and closing the dust cover. Switches were bypassed and the cut motor test was re-accomplished with the same problems. Please UN Bypass the switches... With the cut motor right side switch bypassed the cut motor can start as you are changing bits making you a member of the 8 or 9 digit club...

-X Test- the board is pushed from its roller. The cap ends of the rollers were cleaned out,but problem persists. This does not occur during the a regular pattern cut. The sensor levers in the rollers are clear.
-Y Test-PASS
-Z Test-PASS

3) Sensor check seem to read accurately. the top of the z axis was a negative number
When you go to Sensor Check and select the Z or any other axis the display will read 0000 as this is just a counter... The good test is to hold the Z up to the top pin while selecting Z data. That puts top dead center at 0000. Move the head down and up and return to the pin. It should read 0000 upon return showing no open wires. Move the FLEX while doing this and a intermittent broken connection will show up as a different number at the pin.

4) Both rotary encoders and encoder housing was clean. I notice that the enoder hub and wheel can be moved axially if pressure is applied. There is about an 1/8" space between the encoder. [I read that the endcoder can be moved manually while observing the sensor position on the LCD.]

5) FCC ribbon cable was checked for continuity. It's during the flex that the problems show up as the ends touching no longer touch...

6) Z axis motor was detached and z axis had very little physical resistance. Pulley gears abd belt and bearings were cleaned.

7) *Cut motor was impacted with saw dust. It was never dissassembled prior so I wonder why it is not sealed properly The open fins or slots at the brush end of the motor let air be sucked into and THROUGH the cut motor cooling it. With lots of dust, the machine likely did not have a dust hood. The Fan on the cut motor, one side sucks through the motor the other sucks from the electronic area under the machine.

:cool: Bearing posts and lead screws were thouroughly cleaned and lubricated with graphite. Head was worked up and down. Head pressure is under 75 lbs..it is maybe 45 lbs. The jam nut on the crank side had to be tightened. Customer support said that the lead screw is to supposed to float laterally. Posts were realigned according to Carvewright's instructions.

9) At this point, the machine is dissasembled. The boards and power supply are removed and the cables are attached in order to find a loose connection and possibly measure continuity and current. I suspect that that there is a loose connection since the stall seems to occur as the cut motor reaches a speed and vibration increases.

*The slot (at the base) where the ribbon cables are routed is too small to properly re-route the cables without pinching and crimping them. It seems that the cable ends were probably attached after they were routed through that small slot at the factory. I replaced the LCD cable.

10) Gear and belt teeth are good. Y axis belt tension was loose originally. I loosened the tension screw and it "re-tensioned" itself.

My suggestion, check L2 on the power supply and replace the FFC Cable.