PDA

View Full Version : Sanding

cjudas
01-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Has anyone used any of the rotary burr bits (for the Dremel type tool) for cleanup instead of the sanding mops and bristle brushes?

Thanks

Chris

universal-sasquatch
01-18-2017, 09:25 PM
I use both. I mounted sanding mops on a bench grinder and it works great but doesn't last very long, probably because the RPMs is too high. For detail work I use diamond grit bits on my Dremel. I got a mixed box at Harbor Freight and they have different shapes ( straight, cone, etc.) and the really help knock off the fuzzies on the work. I had bought some of the small sanding cones that fit on the end of a Dremel bit and they worked well but wore out quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fwharris
01-18-2017, 09:28 PM
If you mean ones like this? Then yes I use them a lot for sanding.

universal-sasquatch
01-19-2017, 06:55 AM
If you mean ones like this? Then yes I use them a lot for sanding.

Yes, those work great on lettering and fine detail.

cjudas
01-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Thank you all for the input. I will get a couple and try them out.

Chris

CarverJerry
01-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Yes, I use both. I actually make my own sanding mops for my dremel. I cut small pieces of emery cloth about 1/16" wide X 1" long and drill a hole in the center, I use a little jig and stack a bunch of them up to drill. Then I use about 10 strips and load them on the arbor for a cut off wheel, I flip every other and then space them out to make a circle, this way it will sand on both sides. Works great, takes a little to wear off the corners at first but then it does a nice job. This one I'm showing is about wore out.

Mike1
01-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Never thought of making a mini-mop, great idea. I know what I am doing in the shop tonight. Thanks Jerry.

universal-sasquatch
01-20-2017, 07:25 AM
What a great idea, I'm gonna have to try that too

SteveNelson46
01-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Jerry,

That seems like a great idea so I think I'll try it. The Dremel, in my case a Roto-Zip, turns at a speed between 10,000 and 25,000 RPMs so my guess is it will be pretty aggressive. Any problems there?