PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a workflow using Lightwave > STL Importer?

Ohio
01-18-2017, 07:28 PM
I can whip up models in LW pretty quickly and export from LW Modeler to an STL file. Before I spend the dough for STL Importer though, is anyone here using this workflow? Have there been any issues?

TIA, y'all.

fwharris
01-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Have you tried importing your stl using the demo mode stl importer? I am not sure if you can do that or not but had to ask.

Another option would be to post one of the stl files here on the forum and see if anyone has any issues.

bergerud
01-18-2017, 08:20 PM
I do not think you will have any issues making models in Lightwave and importing them as STL into Designer. Many people use a variety of 3d mesh creating software to import into Designer. If you post an example of one of your models, I will import it into Designer for you and you can have a look.

oscarl48
01-18-2017, 09:05 PM
There is a learning curve on how STL's port to designer but overall not too bad. I don't use LW but I can't see a reason why it would behave differently in regards to STL ports. The only limitation is the CW designer software tends to crash with STLs larger than 100 megs but otherwise it has been a great software add-on for me.

Here is a picture of one of my personal models I ported to CW designer.

Ohio
01-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks---I appreciate it. I pulled an old model of a bullet (wanted to keep everything small). One STL is exported from LW and one I exported from Lightwave and brought into MeshLab for clean up. File sizes are small.

Edited to add: I thought I was replying to bergerud directly. Ooops. But have at it.

Ohio
01-19-2017, 11:58 AM
There is a learning curve on how STL's port to designer but overall not too bad. I don't use LW but I can't see a reason why it would behave differently in regards to STL ports. The only limitation is the CW designer software tends to crash with STLs larger than 100 megs but otherwise it has been a great software add-on for me.

Here is a picture of one of my personal models I ported to CW designer.

Hmmm...the learning curve. I'm asking about the STL tool for Designer because I'm finding Designer Basic slow and clumsy. I'm trying to decide if I want to add on some of the modeling tools (and upgrade to Pro) or if I want to model in LW and just go through Designer via STL. I want to carve wood and foam for aluminum casting and would like a solid workflow before I go all crazy and buy the rotary jig and probe and stuff---which I will because I can't resist.

But first things first---without a good workflow, it's just painful. So, maybe I'll do the demo thing bergerud recommends while I wait for the test results he's offered to do.

bergerud
01-19-2017, 12:12 PM
I imported the bullets. They look the same as far as I can see. I sliced them in half in the Importer (no need for the back side). I think the STL importer would be a good thing for you.

fwharris
01-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Both imported with out any issues other than needing to resize.

Ohio
01-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Bergerud and fwharris, thanks. Remind me to buy each of you the beverage of your choice should we ever meet.

Okay, I need to get grounded in the basics before I try carving a dragon or something. So basic shapes and objects for me. No doubt I'll be back in an hour whining about something---I mean, seeking your wisdom.

fwharris
01-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Bergerud and fwharris, thanks. Remind me to buy each of you the beverage of your choice should we ever meet.

Okay, I need to get grounded in the basics before I try carving a dragon or something. So basic shapes and objects for me. No doubt I'll be back in an hour whining about something---I mean, seeking your wisdom.

Glad that helped you out. We will have the cheese waiting for the wine! ;)